Should It Be In Any Existing Godzilla Timeline?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Should It Be In An Existing Timeline?

Showa
5%
Heisei
4%
Godzilla 2000
1%
Godzilla X Megaguirus
No votes
GMK
No votes
Kiryu Saga
1%
Final Wars
1%
Just Godzilla, King of the Monsters
21%
No
68%

Total votes: 102

Godzillawolf
G-Grasper

Should It Be In Any Existing Godzilla Timeline?

Post by Godzillawolf »

This seems to be coming up a lot in all the threads, so I felt it needed its own thread.

Pretty much exactly what the title says, do you think it should be canon to any of the timelines and if so, why? If not, once more, why.

Personally, I say if anything, just the original film because that's the only one that's needed in every timeline that isn't a total reboot.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Re: Should It Be In Any Existing Godzilla Timeline?

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

No, it's an American version of the franchise. It should have nothing at all to do with the Toho Godzilla. I want an entirely new story with no relation to the original Goji whatsoever.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ghost Rider
Yojimbo

Post by Ghost Rider »

It should be a stand alone movie.

Lionblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Lionblaze »

It should be its own timeline.
Shadow Area Record
Wins: 17. Losses: 14.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

As much as I'd love to see them go back to the Showa era, I must say that American audiences are more "realistic" nowadays. It should be in its own timeline.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

It should make reference to the original Gojira and move on to it's own continuity.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

it should have it's own timeline if it sucks the real godzilla will have another phoney to kill.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

It should start out from the events of the original GOJIRA/GODZILLA:KING OF THE MONSTERS, and go on from there. With Godzilla's existence being in doubt by many in today's generation, like the moonlanding, or even 9/11 being carried out by Muslims.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Honestly? No. I think it needs to be a stand-alone film, or at least begin it's own continuity. Americans are pretty bad at retcons.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Green Blockhead
Samurai

Post by Green Blockhead »

How about a fourth timeline in the Japanese series?

Showa, Heisei, Minellium, ?
Goodbye Toho Kingdom Forum.

Old Gregg
GPN Volunteer

Post by Old Gregg »

No. It should be completely stand-alone.
gimme a cookie or Imma gonna kill you

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

I want this to be a fresh new start to Godzilla done right. Any connection to previous Godzilla films will only confuse audiences.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Just like what everyone else is saying, the 2012 film should be on its own timeline.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Godzillawolf
G-Grasper

Post by Godzillawolf »

Legion1979 wrote:Anyone who honestly thinks this has a chance of being included in any timeline of any Toho-produced Godzilla movie has to get his head examined. Seriously.
I only made this thread because it kept coming up in other threads, thought it'd be a good idea.

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

I'd like for Godzilla to have the same origin story and for him to have surfaced originally in the 50's or 60's, but I don't want any previous films to be acknowledged.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

miguelnuva wrote:it should have it's own timeline if it sucks the real godzilla will have another phoney to kill.
Doubt that we'll have a Godzilla-that-doesn't-look-like-Godzilla creature this time around, but if we do (which, again, I doubt), then that's one more new monster to the list, lol. :mrgreen:
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

G-Man1989
Yojimbo

Post by G-Man1989 »

Since its probably just going to be another Hollywood reboot spin off, I could understand the argument of it being a stand alone film.

However, if they want to do it right and actually MAKE a GODZILLA movie, its time line should at least include the original movie. Doing direct-to-DVD Anime collab spin offs are fairly big now, and have proven to be successful with Halo and the Matrix. Maybe one or more can be made for the reboot to tell stories that take place in between 1954 and the date the new movie will be in.

Godzilla is not a new character, and any attempt to try to make him 100% new is futile and beats the purpose of making a movie based on an older series. Yes, they should definitely do something new and have Godzilla come to America.

The point of this new film is to do a good Godzilla reboot that, although fine tunes Godzilla for a new era of films, but doesn't lose his roots.

If they want to make it a good "American Godzilla reboot", they should make like a Toho Godzilla movie with a significantly larger budget and more time to produce it, just set in America with primarily English speaking human characters.
Last edited by G-Man1989 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamitor27
Samurai

Post by Jamitor27 »

I think it should be in its own timeline. But it would be cool if they continued the Heisei with Godzilla jr.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Jamitor27 wrote:I think it should be in its own timeline. But it would be cool if they continued the Heisei with Godzilla jr.
It would be cool, but very easy to fuck it up that way.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

I don't believe it should (and I know it won't) be connected to any particular film, but it should be made clear that Godzilla has appeared before, as an origin story would slow things down. It should be really vague "It's a creature that attacked Japan 2 or 3 times, they call him Godziller".
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"