How Godzilla will be in the movie ( Frank Darabont News)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
G-fan 27
Samurai

How Godzilla will be in the movie ( Frank Darabont News)

Post by G-fan 27 »

Now i havent logged on in awhile but have been checking in and it seems like people are jumping the gun with this movie so far and getting very nerotic about how godzilla will be done, so to put all this speculation away for now this news clip should help

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/ ... l-godzilla

also check out th video clip at the end of the article as it is an interview with Gareth Edwards

Enjoy!!! :D

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Re: How Godzilla will be in the movie ( Frank Darabont News)

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

I don't think Darabot knows how the franchise works.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Laserface121
Monarch Researcher

Post by Laserface121 »

Yes, he does. He's keeping Godzilla to his dark, gritty roots. This will be a modern update of the 1954 film.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Laserface121 wrote:Yes, he does. He's keeping Godzilla to his dark, gritty roots. This will be a modern update of the 1954 film.
... That would be evidence of being familiar with the first film. Not with the franchise.

Honestly, dismissing the later entries as "campy" and belittling their significance is something I would expect to hear from Emmerich and Devlin. Not from these guys. Of course, I don't expect the movie to be a GINO repeat. The people working on this movie are actually, ya know, talented.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shōbijin
GPN Volunteer

Post by Shōbijin »

Everything needs to be overly serious, dark and gritty these days. So the first film must be like a gift of heaven (in regards to source material) for them.

Godzilla 1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by Godzilla 1986 »

I agree that Darabont should acknowledge the entire series as a whole and every personality Godzilla has had within, however the way he wishes to portray Godzilla in this film is exactly how I want him to be shown. Godzilla is a walking nuclear bomb, a weapon that is the most destructive force ever created by man. A nuclear bomb does not tail slide, flap his arms, hop up and down in victory nor shake hands with a robot; it kills. Its entire purpose is to destroy and murder. If we are to believe that Godzilla, in his very first film, is the living embodiment of the bomb, then that is exactly what he is and how he should be portrayed. I'm a life long fan, and trust me I do understand that Godzilla has many, many personalities depending on what film you're watching and I can see why so many people see Godzilla in one light or another on how he should be portrayed in the film, but Darabont and Edwards have plainly stated that their film will return Godzilla to his original roots, which is the original film, which characterizes Godzilla as a walking embodiment of unwavering, uncaring nuclear destruction. However, I can see them still giving Godzilla the role of 'anti-hero', considering there are two other monsters, which given hope that maybe, maybe, this film will give a bit of everything to the fans who want their Godzilla sunny side up instead of scrambled, and vice versa. But that remains to be seen, and probably won't be until SDCC or next year. [/2 cents]
Audience Member:"What are your thoughts on the Godzilla gijinkas?"
Michael Dougherty:"............I have no idea what that is. Next question."
(Yes, this actually happened)

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Laserface121 wrote:Yes, he does. He's keeping Godzilla to his dark, gritty roots. This will be a modern update of the 1954 film.

Except it has two other monsters. Its hard to do a rehash of Gojira with more than one monster.

KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Post by KingGhidorah »

shinmattiathekaiju wrote:

Except it has two other monsters. Its hard to do a rehash of Gojira with more than one monster.
Hard but not impossible. ;)

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Its primary target is American audiences. We eat this skreeonk up.
If there turns out to be sequels, I expect those will be somewhat less dark in comparison to this one... So if this is aiming to be a true modern remake of the 1954 film, more power to them. It still cannot be as awful as the 1998 film. It may not feel like the films we've gotten so used to over the decades, but that's probably the point.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

G-fan 27
Samurai

Post by G-fan 27 »

i thought this was something to look at, for those people wondering if there will be more than one movie, the way he words this makes it seem like there will be, ill put the quote from the article down below and tell me what you guys think.

"What we're trying to do with the new movie is not have it camp, not have it be campy," he continued. "We're kind of taking a cool new look at it. But with a lot of tradition in the first film.

Now notice how he uses the word FIRST at the end of the quote. Makes it sound like there is plans for more than one film.

Now of course he could be referencing the first film and just made a grammar error but the way its put right now makes me lean towards what i just said, but only time will tell i guess.

PygmyZilla
Samurai

Post by PygmyZilla »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:Honestly, dismissing the later entries as "campy" and belittling their significance is something I would expect to hear from Emmerich and Devlin. Not from these guys. Of course, I don't expect the movie to be a GINO repeat. The people working on this movie are actually, ya know, talented.
I don't know if he's implying that the later entries were campy, but there was a good amount of time when the series was quite a bit cheesy. Some of the later movies do lack (which saddens me to say) I think Darabont has a pretty good idea of what needs to be done with the property.
It is truly sad when people decide it is best to abandon common sense.

DarkLord
Monarch Researcher

Post by DarkLord »

Godzilla 1986 wrote:I agree that Darabont should acknowledge the entire series as a whole and every personality Godzilla has had within, however the way he wishes to portray Godzilla in this film is exactly how I want him to be shown. Godzilla is a walking nuclear bomb, a weapon that is the most destructive force ever created by man. A nuclear bomb does not tail slide, flap his arms, hop up and down in victory nor shake hands with a robot; it kills. Its entire purpose is to destroy and murder. If we are to believe that Godzilla, in his very first film, is the living embodiment of the bomb, then that is exactly what he is and how he should be portrayed. I'm a life long fan, and trust me I do understand that Godzilla has many, many personalities depending on what film you're watching and I can see why so many people see Godzilla in one light or another on how he should be portrayed in the film, but Darabont and Edwards have plainly stated that their film will return Godzilla to his original roots, which is the original film, which characterizes Godzilla as a walking embodiment of unwavering, uncaring nuclear destruction. However, I can see them still giving Godzilla the role of 'anti-hero', considering there are two other monsters, which given hope that maybe, maybe, this film will give a bit of everything to the fans who want their Godzilla sunny side up instead of scrambled, and vice versa. But that remains to be seen, and probably won't be until SDCC or next year. [/2 cents]

You Sir..., have have perfectly summed up how I want to see Godzilla portrayed in this film! ;)

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

yeah well, only thing im thinking at this point, id really wish they give us the damn comic con trailer.

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

This movie will have zero camp huh? Fine by me, seems they really want to sell that this Godzilla film won't be like the films that most of the common people expect out of the past Japanese Godzilla movies. I think that explains what that Story Details article meant that this Godzilla movie "won't be like the Japanese films".

Laserface121
Monarch Researcher

Post by Laserface121 »

ゴジラ wrote:This movie will have zero camp huh? Fine by me, seems they really want to sell that this Godzilla film won't be like the films that most of the common people expect out of the past Japanese Godzilla movies. I think that explains what that Story Details article meant that this Godzilla movie "won't be like the Japanese films".
I think it may have some humor but not too much to derail the tone it's going for. I think the humor will be very subtle and used sparingly.

dutycat
Young Farmer

Post by dutycat »

Well count me in for the darker Godzilla. I hated all of the kiddy oriented versions. I would like it to be themed similar to the Dark Knight series....gritty, scary, almost like Alien, but not quite R rated. No F words, nudity, dirty jokes...and absolutely no relationship drama. Destruction on an epic scale, but with terror and lots of darkness so Godzilla can sneak around at night. Show what he looks like, but don't put him on screen so much that it takes away suspense. In the original movie, almost all of the attack scenes were at night. This was a good choice because people are scared of things that go bump in the night.

I would not be surprised if the studio tames the scariness down to broaden the audience appeal and make more money. They will want to make sure every 10 year old boy on the planet can see it.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

dutycat wrote:Well count me in for the darker Godzilla. I hated all of the kiddy oriented versions.

Inb4 Goji and Legion arrives.

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

Hopefully, Darabont doesn't intend to write out any other monsters that may currently exist in this iteration of Godzilla. I certainly agree with the phasing out of anything that might be considered camp, but I want some color in this film. It doesn't need to be a horror film and doesn't need to be so grounded and so realistic that any sequels will find themselves unable to feature masers (etc) or monsters from space. I'm all for an absolute moratorium on Jet Jaguar, Godzuki, Gabara, and perhaps even Mecha (ie Mechagodzilla, MOGERA), but I would like to see other radioactive mutations, some man-made superweapons, and potentially alien monsters (but not probably not alien invaders).

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

I think Darabont is very wrong to go this route. Not only because it disregards the franchise as a whole(Which I find dis-genuine, close minded, ignorant, and insulting) but it runs the risk of alienating Godzilla's most important audience, commercially. An audience that ensures the franchise's rejuvenation. Children.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

edit: wrong thread