Should Godzilla be agile?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KingGhidorah
Interpol Agent

Re: Should Godzilla be agile?

Post by KingGhidorah »

Shadow wrote:Only fast if he needs to be, just no GINO fast.
If there is any hint of GINO speed, I would chop my dong off and throw it in a river.
And that's where Mermaids come from.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Well, yeah.

I don't want him to be as slow as the rubber suits..
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Yes, he should be agile.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^ Him being agile would most likely mean that he will have large muscular thighs, and will have a bulky but fit/athletic appearance.

#BotM

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Yes, I want him to be agile.

Not Showa, GINO, or Final Wars agile and not Heisei or Kiryuverse stiff either.

Maybe GMK agile is about right
Last edited by GodzillaRangerPrime on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

As long as it's not FW agile I'm fine.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

I think most people associate an agile Godzilla with FW, so there lies one really big problem with people wanting such a thing.....
"A monster can live forever"

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Jomei wrote:Let me ask something: are the people saying he should be "agile" understanding that it would have implications on his design as well? Are you guys the pro-raptor delegation?
Doesn't mean he'll have a design like that.

I'm talking about an agile fighting style. Maybe he gets knocked to the ground, trips the monster with his tail as they approach him, and as godzilla gets up he sprays them with a blast of fire. They can potray action a lot faster without the suits. Look at the difference between CGI mothra and puppet mothra..
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Godzilla needs to perform quick actions when fighting another monster such as: dodging, side-stepping, chaining attacks together, performing clever moves like faking out one attack in order to distract the monster long enough to hit it with a more powerful attack. Maybe he can even ball up his hands into fists, and do various jabs and punches while combining clawing and biting into the mix. I wouldn't mind another athletic looking Godzilla while still having some bulk to him. Like Final Wars Godzilla but bigger muscle wise, even FW Godzilla had a good amount on him.

#BotM

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Oddly enough, I always keep imagining Godzilla running on all fours like a cat or something. :dizzy: But I'd say make him quick enough to keep up with any fast opponents or chase something down.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Kiryu2012 wrote:Oddly enough, I always keep imagining Godzilla running on all fours like a cat or something. :dizzy: But I'd say make him quick enough to keep up with any fast opponents or chase something down.
I think one of the earlier scripts for '98 had Godzilla run on all four.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

I remember reading some were that an earlier draft of GMK had Godzilla on all 4's like a salamander. I would be interesting to see it but upright or nothing. Im for the "lumbering mountain of flesh" idea.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Godzilla = Stands up straight, 4 toes, 4 huge finger nails, thick legs an thighs, also a thick chest and a GMK styled face. With 3 rows of spines that light up blue prior to firing atomic breath.

There you go. He should not be skinny, he should not have 3 toes, he should not look anorexic, he should not look like an Iguana or T-Rex, an he should not be lean forward like the typical theropod. An he doesn't need to run fast or be agile because he is indestructible an doesn't need to run from the military like GINO.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Jomei wrote:Let me ask something: are the people saying he should be "agile" understanding that it would have implications on his design as well? Are you guys the pro-raptor delegation?
He doesn't need to be more raptor-like to be agile. Gamera, for instance, is rather agile on the ground, IMO, and he doesn't look raptor-like. Angurius is pretty agile too. I want Godzilla to be agile in fight scenes, not all the frickin' time. There's no need for Godzilla to be agile against the military, the military are nothing but an annoyance. But against other monsters? Godzilla needs to demonstrate power and ferocity, and in my mind both of those qualities are summed up in the word "agile". Just agile enough that we can get some truly dynamic action sequences.

For me, Peter Jackson's King Kong and Heisei Gamera set the bar rather high for monster fight scenes - Kong v. V-Rex was tense, it was exciting, and it was dynamic; same story for basically any of Heisei Gamera's fights. I think Pacific Rim is going to set the bar high as well, and what little we've seen demonstrates the sort of dynamism I'm hoping for. I just don't want to see a repeat of the dull "stand around and shoot beams at each other" fights from Heisei Godzilla.

Josh1990
Yojimbo

Post by Josh1990 »

I do understand that having a quicker moving Godzilla would affect his design and I hope it does. I would like to see the slim '64 suit and I don't think he looks much like a " raptor". I think when most are saying they want a quicker G is not redesigning him into some skinny theropod but the slim body of the 60's and Final Wars(body plan anyway). Godzilla moving fast should really be dictated by the situation: fighting the military, no. Fighting another monster, big yes. He should be able to charge at his opponents head first like a raging bull. He should be able to kick and claw and bite with alarming speed. That's just my two cents.
" Walk softly and carry a big stick, you will go far!" T. Roosevelt - An amazing man, an even greater President.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Josh1990 wrote:
I do understand that having a quicker moving Godzilla would affect his design and I hope it does. I would like to see the slim '64 suit and I don't think he looks much like a " raptor". I think when most are saying they want a quicker G is not redesigning him into some skinny theropod but the slim body of the 60's and Final Wars(body plan anyway). Godzilla moving fast should really be dictated by the situation: fighting the military, no. Fighting another monster, big yes. He should be able to charge at his opponents head first like a raging bull. He should be able to kick and claw and bite with alarming speed. That's just my two cents.
Godzilla also ran fast in Godzilla Raids Again while fighting Anguirus.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Alexzilla408
Samurai

Post by Alexzilla408 »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Godzilla = Stands up straight, 4 toes, 4 huge finger nails, thick legs an thighs, also a thick chest and a GMK styled face. With 3 rows of spines that light up blue prior to firing atomic breath.

There you go. He should not be skinny, he should not have 3 toes, he should not look anorexic, he should not look like an Iguana or T-Rex, an he should not be lean forward like the typical theropod. An he doesn't need to run fast or be agile because he is indestructible an doesn't need to run from the military like GINO.
Congratulations on the post of the day.
Bagan sucks and he will never be in a Godzilla movie. Shutup.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Godzilla = Stands up straight, 4 toes, 4 huge finger nails, thick legs an thighs, also a thick chest and a GMK styled face. With 3 rows of spines that light up blue prior to firing atomic breath.

It's that easy. How can you screw that up?
Wait....Image
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

SpaceG92 wrote:I remember reading some were that an earlier draft of GMK had Godzilla on all 4's like a salamander.
Kaneko originally wanted Godzilla to be very hunched over and have the tail not dragging on the floor but it put too much strain on the actor so they couldn't do it. I don't remember ever hearing about Godzilla on all fours.
XxComablack1937xX wrote:he should not have 3 toes
Most Showa suits had three toes.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by Cinematic Kaiju »

Even though I prefer 4 toes, the majority of the showa movies has Godzilla sporting 3 toes. Its just the type of FEET/LEGS he sports. The showa ones gave him the muscle legs and thick feet while GINO gave us the T-Rex feet.

As far as agility, definitely showa agility, when necessary.
"The only sensible way to live in this world is WITHOUT rules."
-The Joker
Heath Ledger