Frank Darabont doing final rewrite and why Producers left

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Frank Darabont doing final rewrite and why Producers left

Post by gatorzilla »

We now know more details as to what happened with the producers leaving as well as Godzilla getting another rewrite from Frank Darabont.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/godzill ... d-dan-lin/

I'm disappointed by that BUT I'm not going to freak out until we know fully why. Godzilla is all set to begin filming in March. The only news we are missing is casting.
I have no idea what is going on BUT I will remain optimistic for sure.

With that said cue the doom and gloom naysayers in 3...2...1.....
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Re: Frank Darabont doing final rewrite and why Producers lef

Post by Tapkaara »

Aaaah! The plot thickens! Too bad it's not the film's plot, but rather, the rather twisted plot of mayhem and madness behind the scenes of this production. Now it looks like there will be a legal battle thrown into the mix. Godzilla will get his day in court!
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

So...is this rewrite a good thing? The guy doing it worked on The Walking Dead so i guess so.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

I know nothing about The Walking Dead. Is it some sort of zombie show? Hmmmm, I guess it's a popular program so maybe this is good news.
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

I see this as a Shrodinger's Cat situation where I can see this either come out with a positive or negative outcome for the movie.
I don't believe that the movie will be dropped, but production will most likely be prolonged due and the quality of the movie may suffer. I get the impression that Roy Lee and Dan Lin are just constantly not satisfied with the script and usher in all these rewrites because they can't make up their damn minds. That's just my speculation based on what has been going on for the last year or so. Don't take my word for it. I understand Legendary's perspective as well. They want production to move forward and Lee and Lin are just halting the process. I know this is far from the first time this has happened, but again I like to see it as Shrodinger's Cat. Until we know for sure what the hell's going on, I can perceive the outcomes of this to either be good or bad.

God forbid this movie ever goes to monster heaven along with Jan Debont's Godzilla.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Yeah The Walking Dead is extremely popular from what I've heard.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

ZillaMaster91 hit it SQUARE in the head right there!

It could be positive or negative we simply dont know yet. Best to just wait and see before jumping ship like I'm sure some probably already are.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

ZillaMaster91 wrote:I see this as a Shrodinger's Cat situation where I can see this either come out with a positive or negative outcome for the movie.
I don't believe that the movie will be dropped, but production will most likely be prolonged due and the quality of the movie may suffer. I get the impression that Roy Lee and Dan Lin, along with the stated budget issues, are just constantly not satisfied with the script and usher in all these rewrites because they can't make up their damn minds. That's just my speculation based on what has been going on for the last year or so. Don't take my word for it. I understand Legendary's perspective as well. They want production to move forward and Lee and Lin are just halting the process. I know this is far from the first time this has happened, but again I like to see it as Shrodinger's Cat. Until we know for sure what the hell's going on, I can perceive the outcomes of this to either be good or bad.

God forbid this movie ever goes to monster heaven along with Jan Debont's Godzilla.
SKREEONK! Was mean't to edit, but accidentally pressed 'Quote.'

But I added a bit about the the budget issue.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

TheSecondComing wrote:It's great because Walking Dead is one of the most popular shows on television, and his screenplays for The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile (which he also directed) were both nominated for Oscars.
So see this could be a positive. So long as the characters aren't touched then they can still do casting while this is going on.

I do wish we could hide this stuff from some of the older fans....there comments calling this a sinking ship and all that nonsense is very disappointing to have to read.

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

TheSecondComing wrote:It's great because Walking Dead is one of the most popular shows on television, and his screenplays for The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile (which he also directed) were both nominated for Oscars.
Interesting, I didn't know he did those two movies as well. I guess that is sort of a big deal!
- Akira Ifukube

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Eh, getting a bit worn out on rewrites lol

But if its done by Frank Darabont, aka Walking Dead! Then I say bring it! They still have the rest of this month and February to get the final script done before entering production in March. So I'm not really worried.

From what I'm getting Roy Lee and Dan Lin and their original prices are a bit too high to pay for? But LP's are giving them money to just go away like they never existed. If not then than can someone please clear it up for me? lol

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

Frank Darabont is the man. That excites me. The case where the movie could get delayed due to legal battles annoys me. So Legendary has a problem with two of Warner Brothers Studio producers? Does that mean Legendary and Warner Brothers are going to battle it out, or is it everyone versus the producers?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Huh. Well, the plot certainly thickens. I wonder what, exactly, Darabont will be doing with the script? Is this a full rewrite, some partial rewrite, or just polishing? Also, I can see why the article suggests a lawsuit may be on the way...I'd be pissed too if I was being locked out of this movie's profits.

@GodzillaIsCool: Sounds to me like it's Legendary vs. these two producers. The issue being, of course, these two happen to be heavy-hitters.

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

Anyone else picking up on mysterious similarity between the names De Bont and Darabont? What could this mean???
- Akira Ifukube

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

So with Gareth Edwards already having done a big final presentation for his vision on Godzilla I believe that Darabont is being brought on to perfect the script to Edwards vision is all.

Scripts are always getting changed arent they?

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

gatorzilla wrote:So with Gareth Edwards already having done a big final presentation for his vision on Godzilla I believe that Darabont is being brought on to perfect the script to Edwards vision is all.

Yes they are...when they stink.
- Akira Ifukube

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Do we have minor hint at what the moral story of the film could be about?
I assume that his involvement in Godzilla means the entire movie will be about the importance of hope or else monsters will obliterate everything you know and love.
http://collider.com/godzilla-reboot-fra ... ee/222165/

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

gatorzilla wrote:Do we have minor hint at what the moral story of the film could be about?
I assume that his involvement in Godzilla means the entire movie will be about the importance of hope or else monsters will obliterate everything you know and love.
http://collider.com/godzilla-reboot-fra ... ee/222165/
It's merely speculation by the author of the article, nothing solid. Sounds like a great theme for a story though.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Tapkaara wrote:
gatorzilla wrote:So with Gareth Edwards already having done a big final presentation for his vision on Godzilla I believe that Darabont is being brought on to perfect the script to Edwards vision is all.

Yes they are...when they stink.
That's not entirely true. Even good scripts get tinkered with right up until production starts (and sometimes even after that). That's how we have instances of bad first drafts being made into classic films, and scripts that could've been Oscar nominated turning into pure crap by the time it makes it to the screen. The general public has this concept of the "Screenplay" as something that gets written once and then is made into a film, when the reality is far more complicated.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

I also just had a theory....could Darabont doing a rewrite having anything to do with the budget? Maybe retooling certain scenes in order to meet said budget?