The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
UltramanGoji

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by UltramanGoji »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:26 pm That is a good shot right there. Why the hell would they remove that?
For a multitude of reasons. Pacing, continuity, runtime, etc.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gareth Edwards was also doing what was basically the Jaws approach, build-up to Godzilla and the final fight.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:40 pm Gareth Edwards was also doing what was basically the Jaws approach, build-up to Godzilla and the final fight.
Having a shot of Godzilla's fins alongside the ships after the airport scene wouldn't have really hindered that, not that final cut is lacking for shots like that in the first place. I think it really is just a case of pacing and runtime like UG said.

I would watch the hell out of a director's cut, though. Give me that Akira Takarada scene.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

That deleted scene is further proof that Gareth is great at portraying scale. Such a simple yet effective shot.

And yes! Will we ever see the full Takarada scene?! I still don't understand why it was taken out. What's an extra 20 seconds to the runtime? Even more surprising considering the announcement of his cameo was one of the first BTS pieces of marketing we got.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The fact the Takarada scene hasn't shown up in any capacity outside of a promotional photograph and a bit in the art book is a damn travesty.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:25 pm That deleted scene is further proof that Gareth is great at portraying scale. Such a simple yet effective shot.

And yes! Will we ever see the full Takarada scene?! I still don't understand why it was taken out. What's an extra 20 seconds to the runtime? Even more surprising considering the announcement of his cameo was one of the first BTS pieces of marketing we got.
Yup. WB has it locked away somewhere. I've been chasing that scene for nearly 8 years trying to find out what happened to it. Hopefully it'll resurface. There's so much that COULD be on the home releases that would be great to see.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

WB needs to do us all a favor and give us that deleted scene with Akira Takarada. The fact they still haven't shown us that deleted scene almost 8 years after the film's release is truly annoying. Hell, the fact that they removed this scene at all is even worse.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:09 pm WB needs to do us all a favor and give us that deleted scene with Akira Takarada. The fact they still haven't shown us that deleted scene almost 8 years after the film's release is truly annoying. Hell, the fact that they removed this scene at all is even worse.
After his passing today, I really think WB needs to do right by him and release this clip at least on YouTube.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

king_ghidorah wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:50 pm
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:09 pm WB needs to do us all a favor and give us that deleted scene with Akira Takarada. The fact they still haven't shown us that deleted scene almost 8 years after the film's release is truly annoying. Hell, the fact that they removed this scene at all is even worse.
After his passing today, I really think WB needs to do right by him and release this clip at least on YouTube.
I hope so.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

My feelings on this are pretty much the same - good, not great, but perfectly good for what it is. I wish it was the American Godzilla that came out when I was a kid, even with the limited screentime for Godzilla. It has wonky moments for sure but when it works it really works. I enjoyed KOTM too, but I'll always be curious what Edwards' sequel would've been like, and if the subdued/grounded tone absolutely absent in later MV films had continued.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I am in the crowd who considers this film a disappointment. If this movie had one saving grace that would be enough to satisfy some people, it would be the tone.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Love Dan Stevens!!

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:25 pm That deleted scene is further proof that Gareth is great at portraying scale. Such a simple yet effective shot.

to this day godzilla hasnt feel as big in the monsterverse as he did in his first film, yeahy hes still the same size but the shots dont really feel like he is

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Janjira-York wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:09 pm

to this day godzilla hasnt feel as big in the monsterverse as he did in his first film, yeahy hes still the same size but the shots dont really feel like he is
Overall, yeah, though there are various parts in KOTM and GvK that give a good sense of scale. G14 did it best.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

KOTM got the scale of the monsters right most of the time. The times it didn’t it was mostly because of some wonky animation (mainly for King Ghidorah).

GvK on the other hand, practically threw any sense of scale out the window. Monster animation was mostly incredible, but they moved just a tiny bit too fast to portray any kind of weight. I’m curious to see what these same animations would look like if they were slowed down like, 10-20%. I think the biggest contributor to the lack of scale though was the cinematography. Sure, shots were clear and you could see everything, but that damn magic CG camera just ruined a lot for me.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Yeah agreed. I love GvK but the fight scenes lack weight. Anime physics and it oddly moves too fast to convey much character stuff.

Take for instance when Kong punches G for the first time. Godzilla goes from taking the hit to giving it in one swift motion.

I would have preferred for there to have been a reaction shot. A pause maybe. Like “did this fool just hit me?”

It’s a fine film but I much prefer the animalistic fighting in G 2014 that had both scale and weight.

Part of the reason why G 2014 remains my favorite G film

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

its not that the other mv movies are bad at the scale but it just despite the fact that the models and scenarios are scaled to be bigger than g14 stuff it doesnt feel that way IDK edwards really was good specially with the human scale POV.

like the Hawaii sequence of the wave hitting the hotel, the power going out things get quiet the slow panning out and upwards seeing the military shoot flares and they fall down as the scene is mostly darkness being illuminated by the red glow silence and then the BRRRRRRRR noise all in one take.

that scene is memorable ive seen all the mv with some friends and other moveis that are disaster or heavy cgi stuff and last week i was talking about g14 and they knew exactly the shots I was talking about and remembered IT is iconic in a lot of shots imo

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:57 pm Yeah agreed. I love GvK but the fight scenes lack weight. Anime physics and it oddly moves too fast to convey much character stuff.

Take for instance when Kong punches G for the first time. Godzilla goes from taking the hit to giving it in one swift motion.

I would have preferred for there to have been a reaction shot. A pause maybe. Like “did this fool just hit me?”

It’s a fine film but I much prefer the animalistic fighting in G 2014 that had both scale and weight.

Part of the reason why G 2014 remains my favorite G film
I think the "moving too fast" may be more of an issue with rapid fire editing instead of character physics.

Another scene that comes to mind is in the HK battle: after Kong beats his chest/grabs his Axe out of the building, the scene jumps straight to Godzilla suddenly in front of Kong (when he had stumbled down the scene before), IIRC.

Still, I found GvK's monster action to be really fun.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Janjira-York wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:09 pm

Godzilla’s size was a lot more accentuated in the first film because the focus was really on a human level. Something Dougherty and Wingard didn’t really want, and regrettably, it was also something the fans didn’t want either. I personally believe overexposure to the monsters definitely not only hinders the impact they have, but also how we view their stature. Even if there are a few good shots, the illusion of a 350 foot monster is definitely ruined by the larger amount of Godzilla-height shots.

G14 and Shin both did size well in my opinion. Shin especially — there was a lot of good human-level shots of Shin, as well as expertly-done long shots. I’m a sucker for long shots. Shin’s long shots are some of my favourite in the franchise. Especially when the 4th form first comes ashore and when he initially rampages. All prior to the Atomic breath scene. Funny thing is, I think the film gets a lot less cinematic after that point.

Sorry, went on a tangent. I really like the trailer shot of Godzilla roaring when the door is closing. Shame they removed it in favour of Godzilla fighting the Hokmuto.
For Emperor and Empire!