Why are older fans so concerned?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
zilla-x
Samurai

Re: Why are older fans so concerned?

Post by zilla-x »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: No, but you have bitched about it before. Given your history, I don't have to take any of your bullshit posts seriously. You also proved my assertion that you never understand the conversation at hand. You replied to my initial post (concerning the sports team analogy) WITHOUT understanding my reasoning behind it OR the context in which it was placed.
Here let me explain the sports/film analogy for you....

Sports franchise-Movie franchise

Director-Head coach

Athlete-Actor

Owners/Managers- Producers/Studio

See a pattern here?

Sports franchises have their loyal fans and their bandwagon fans that jump on or off to a new team depending how the team is playing. Just like Movie franchises. You have the fans who support their franchise and you have the ones who are ready to replace it when they think something better comes along.
Now tell me how that doesn't compare?

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

And yet again you fail to see the point of my post (ie. Why the analogy didn't work within xenotactic's argument). Go figure. I never argued against the similarities of the two fandoms. Get back to me when you figure it out.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

zilla-x
Samurai

Post by zilla-x »

Ok here lets dissect this then-
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:Fans of a sports team still support that team even if it sucks ass. It's the team they support, not necessarily the players.
Fans of Movie franchises support the franchise even if it has a few bad movies. Its the franchise not actors or directors.
BUT you have the fans of both that will jump of the ship of a franchise (film or sports) because either want to support something they think is better or because its a new big thing or support it based on players or actors. That is called being a bandwagon fan.
Many fans would have given up on their favorite teams a loooooong time ago if they judged the team by its players, coaches, etc. There also is always the possibility of the team making a comeback.
Which is what Godzilla is doing. There are fans that seem to argue what a TRUE Godzilla is....Godzilla is universal worldwide icon that appeals to everyone in different ways. Who's to say there is a definitive true Godzilla? The reason Godzilla has survived for almost 60+ years is because he has changed with the times and generations and he appeals to everyone in a different way. This new American Godzilla movie is just another chapter in the Godzilla franchise brought into this generation. Its going to offer a new continuity and new direction. Godzilla is Godzilla. There is no "true" one.

Just because its not a Japanese movie doenst mean its not the real Godzilla. If the NFL plays some games in London does that mean its not true NFL? No its just appealing to a new audience. Same with Godzilla.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

lol Still not getting it? Okay, I'll tell you. Xenotactics, who I was having a conversation with, used the sports analogy to show that fans WON'T stick with a team when it starts being shitty. He was using it to support his claim that fans won't stick with Toho when it starts being shit. I refuted his claim, because many sports fan stick with a team even when they suck, much like fans of Toho's films will stick with Toho when they suck. You've literally been arguing for nothing.

As for the whole "true" Godzilla thing, I believe The Dude said it best when he said "Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man." And it is. Which is something Living Corpse, myself, and a few others talked about in the first few pages of this thread. It's a perception of what is the "real" Godzilla. In the eyes of some fans, like myself, Toho's films are THE Godzilla films, regardless of quality. Doesn't mean we don't want more movies from other studios. It just means we'll see them as Godzilla films, but not THE Godzilla films. Again, opinion.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LaserDuel wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Did he walk out after it was over or in the middle of it?
I want to know this too...
From what I heard it was during the scene where GINO gets chased by the helicopters.
If that's not it, he certainly didn't sit through all of it.
Also, zilla-x really needs to stop starting shit. I don't think he's ever done anything other than that.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Living Corpse wrote:He probably would have lost it at the "he pregos" part.
Didn't we all? *shudders*

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Since tri-Star had some creative freedom I never expected Godzilla 98 to be exactly like his Japanese counterpart. So none of the changes really bothered me.

As an artist and musician myself I like the freedom to create and I have loved how artists and musicians interpret other people's work differently.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Creative freedom?
More like threatening to abandon the project if Toho doesn't give the thumbs up to every decision they make.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Copperydock wrote:Creative freedom?
More like threatening to abandon the project if Toho doesn't give the thumbs up to every decision they make.
Do you have any evidence of this?
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

When Devlin and Emmerich approached Toho with the script and design they basically said "Take it or leave it".
Toho, having sunk so much money into the project and been rejected by multiple directors, were not going to pass this up.
So they let them do whatever they wanted as long as they didn't abandon the project.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Copperydock wrote:When Devlin and Emmerich approached Toho with the script and design they basically said "Take it or leave it".
Toho, having sunk so much money into the project and been rejected by multiple directors, were not going to pass this up.
So they let them do whatever they wanted as long as they didn't abandon the project.
I thought Toho had to approve of Godzilla's design?
Liam F.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

After all trouble it is amazing that Toho would even bother with another American movie.
Liam F.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Gojira1963 wrote:
Copperydock wrote:When Devlin and Emmerich approached Toho with the script and design they basically said "Take it or leave it".
I thought Toho had to approve of Godzilla's design?
You really have to look back an read up about about the 1994 script, which you can here (http://www.kaijuphile.com/rodansroost/s ... phon.shtml)

You can also read about how Toho did have approval over Godzilla's design an were extremely strict on any changes to the design, Jan DeBont wanted a 150$ million budget, Tri-star didn't approve, he dropped out. Several directors were asked but didn't want to do it an as ''Living Corpse'' said when Emmerich an Devlin approached them they pretty much said take it or leave it.. an after so many delays, the large amount of money already invested, many top directors passing on the project, Toho choose the the only option that wouldn't hurt them so much financially.

It was Toho's last chance at getting this film made, if D&E would have passed again the entire film would have been scrapped. Besides i'm sure Toho, fams an myself included didn't think they'd screw it up as much as they did.

Doesn't it make you curios to wonder what Toho's initial reaction was when Legendary first approached them to make another American Godzilla? I bet it was along the lines of ''Your fucking joking right?'' I would have paid load's to see it.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Living Corpse wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:After all trouble it is amazing that Toho would even bother with another American movie.
From what I understand the President of Legendary Pictures is a huge Godzilla fan and he actually had to beg Toho repeatedly until they gave in and said yes under one condition, Mr Banno (guy who made Godzilla vs Hedorah) acts as a watchdog and updates Toho constantly on everything. If Toho approves of something he tells LP it's okay, but if Toho doesn't like something he tells LP they have to change it back.

Needless to say Toho is having Banno keep his eye on the project real close to make sure nothing gets passed they don't want.

lol, I can just see mr Banno in the LP office saying " Oh... and Toho told me to make sure this movie takes place in Africa and to have a monster made from smog and trash! *rubs hands together*"
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Living Corpse wrote: Image
ROFL. That image is priceless. :lol:

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Or Gamera flying! Now that would be a sight.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

To me it seems like the only reason these older fans and some fans in general are having a real selfish attitude and are hating on the movie is because its not Toho doing it.....which if this movie fails to make money then they can forget about Toho doing it for awhile.

Some of these fans need to get off their high horse and actually TRY accepting something new to the franchise. Technology and times are changing.....Godzilla is going to change with them....Get used to it.
No sense in living in the past and denying yourself and others the chance to enjoy and embrace a new addition to the franchise.

*And to me any fan that actually HOPES or WANTS to see this movie fail is not a true fan IMO. The biggest losers if the movie were to fail would be us fans so how any G-fan can sit their and say that is just ridiculous when the future of the franchise could be riding on this film. Just because its not up to your high standards right now doesn't mean you should bash it and not support it. Wait til opening day.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Legion1979 wrote:^Maybe there's a lot more to it than that for older fans. Ever stop and think about that before bringing back a dead thread just to attack people who don't feel the same way you do? A lot of us have very good reasons to not be optimistic about this movie that have nothing to do with being selfish or being on a high horse.

I love this shit. It's literally become impossible to say anything even remotely negative about this film around here without being torn apart for it. Absolutely ridiculous. It's like, "I don't think a film like this really needs to be made.." "Shut up, you old fan! Get over it! Things are changing! Godzilla has to change! Stop being so selfish, you're ruining this fandom! what is it you want, for this fandom to die??! All you do is live in the past!! Raarrg rarrg rarrg!! This movie will be good and everyone will love Godzilla again and the franchise will revive and there will be sequels and more Japanese movies and Godzilla will go mainstream and SHUT UP if yo don't think so too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Slight exaggeration but that's how I'm starting to feel.
All we've had to hear this week from a percentage of fans is "this movie is going to bomb" or "this movie is a sinking ship" its been all doom and gloom because why? Because some producers are throwing a tantrum over money?
Fans were begging for other monsters for Godzilla to fight. Then when it gets announced that he will fight 2 new monsters it turned into a sky is falling attitude because they weren't using Toho monsters.
Warner Bros said it will be a different Toho film and instead of thinking logically everyone panicked again and automatically assumed that the movie was going to be bad.
The problem is we do not know much about the film but fans STILL want to take news and twist it to this means the movie is going to be bad when theres been NO indication of that happening.

You want to get mad at the fans who are positive or optimistic about the film but its no different then some of you being completely down on the film and assuming that its going to fail. I remember GINO very well and what happened with that. I also remember FInal Wars too and what happened with that. But the past is the past.

Let me repeat there is NOTHING wrong with being cautious or concerned. There IS a problem with fans saying outright the movie is going to bomb or they hope it fails or constantly ragging on the film all the time for no reason.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

gatorzilla wrote:
The problem is we do not know much about the film but fans STILL want to take news and twist it to this means the movie is going to be bad when theres been NO indication of that happening.
Something you and the other hardcore optimists need to keep in mind is that there's NO indication that the movie will be good, either. We don't know enough about it to tell either way, yet. I understand (and agree with) having a positive outlook and hoping for the best, but it doesn't make your speculation any more valid than anyone else's.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Jomei wrote: Some of us liked Monsters quite a bit and find it encouraging that a serious director is working on the project, backed by a production company with a good reputation for "getting it right for fans." For me, personally, the presence of more monsters is exciting as well.
Sure, I understand that. I haven't seen Monsters yet, so I can't comment on Edwards, but LP has proven that they're capable of making good movies that appeal to both fans and the mainstream. But nobody gets it right every time. Until we get a trailer or synopsis, we shouldn't blindly trust them. Or be excessively skeptical, for that matter. A middle-ground, 'wait and see' attitude is the most sensible one for now.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio