"LOL Let's Go See That Corny Monster Movie"

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Re: "LOL Let's Go See That Corny Monster Movie"

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Living Corpse wrote:Anyone else think some people will go to see this movie for the exact same reason as other won't? That they are gonna come in expecting a fun, corny, rubber suit monster movie with bad lip and dub synching resulting in the mouths moving like a full 10 seconds later, that they can riff on with their friends only to be shocked that the movie (regardless of it being good, bad, pulled off well or poorly) is actually taking itself somewhat serious with only a few jokes here and there?

I'm expecting some people to come in thinking it's gonna be corny, filled with rubber suits and "cardboard boxes". And I found that freaking hilarious. :lol:
I don't really expect anything like that. I think some people will make the same old cliched jokes in a poor attempt to get some laughs, but I don't think they'll actually expect the movie to fulfill those stereotypes.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

No, the trailers'll probably show enough CG SFX and characters they won't expect dubbing or rubber and cardboard. Of course, the original suits and sets weren't rubber or cardboard, but, ya know, people have an image of Godzilla being so cheap while it really had decent conventional effects.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

this is going to happen. when anyone hears the word Godzilla, it's japanese people running away screaming "It's godzilla" in a cliche type of movie monster way. smh.....

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

With the upcoming Pacific Rim (a film that I believe will be the appetizer as we wait for Godzilla) people will feel differently about the kaiju genre as a whole. Honestly though, when people first got a glimps of The Hulk back in 2004 do you think they expected Lou Ferigno? By the time this film reaches near its release date, people will have an idea that this movie is not a joke.

Godzilla1989
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzilla1989 »

They need to see the 1954 film.
I love GODZILLA and Kentucky Basketball

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Living Corpse wrote:Anyone else think some people will go to see this movie for the exact same reason as other won't? That they are gonna come in expecting a fun, corny, rubber suit monster movie with bad lip and dub synching resulting in the mouths moving like a full 10 seconds later, that they can riff on with their friends only to be shocked that the movie (regardless of it being good, bad, pulled off well or poorly) is actually taking itself somewhat serious with only a few jokes here and there?

I'm expecting some people to come in thinking it's gonna be corny, filled with rubber suits and "cardboard boxes". And I found that freaking hilarious. :lol:

Actually most people at this point know its an American Reboot an not a Japanese film so the rubber suit thing/cardboard boxes thing is kind of out unless there clueless about the film.. I do see people going to check this out because they did enjoy the 98 American film, an people who wont bother because they hated it.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

But they already know the movie is not going to have rubber suits so why bother with what they think?
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I seriously doubt anyone is going to think that. That's going to require willful ignorance! :lol:

Most people are really only aware of the original movie (which they've never seen, or mix up with an amalgamation of Showa films) and the 1998 film (which they ALL seem to think was titled "Godzilla 2000"). Generally, in my experience, people are aware the '98 movie was a bad remake and, thus, are looking forward to the upcoming movie.

Tormentor
Interpol Agent

Post by Tormentor »

Seems like the hundreds of people who say that are only making fun of stereotypes of the Japanese Godzilla films, and hold no real knowledge of the actual Legendary Pictures film itself. I haven't read anyone online wanting to see the movie just to make fun at it, more or less from what I've seen, they think the movie will be bad because of the "grounded and realistic" part said by Gareth, or because they think it'll be cheesy and rubber suits. But other than that, majority of movie goers, fans, and the increasingly growing general public are interested in seeing how this Godzilla movie delivers.

Yes, some still thinks its GINO, but once more interviews come out along with concept art, trailers, and even word of the mouth. They'll change their tone very quickly.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Once this film comes out on DVD, it needs to have the lips un-synced for comedic factor.

MasonWerx
Interpol Agent

Post by MasonWerx »

tenup wrote: when people first got a glimps of The Hulk back in 2004 do you think they expected Lou Ferigno?
Perfect comparison. People weren't expecting Lou Ferrigno, so they won't be expecting Rubber suits or dubbing.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

TheSecondComing wrote:Of course some people will see it out of hipster irony. That's life! But who cares, their tickets only add to the box office.
Yeah, this will happen. But just accept it. As long as they're paying for their tickets to see the movie, then the movie is making money.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

I think ultimately the comparison to go for here would be the Adam West Batman series. I think many people were aware of that when Warner Bros. was developing that first Burton film but never was the realistic expectation going into it that we would get a bigger budget version of it. The same should be true of the "Godzilla" films. I think there was a similar sentiment when the '98 version came out. I can recall the cast on Saturday Night Live teasing Matthew Broderick about it as part of his opening monolouge during his hosting gig. There was also an interview with Maria Pitillo on "Late Nite with Conan O'Brien" where they showed footage of GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA, instead of clips from the new movie. Though I think this had more to do with Columbia and Emmerich not wanting to supply an early "preview clip" than anything else.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

I also hope the same thing works with Man Of Steel. Supes popularity is in the shitter nowadays.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

shinmattiathekaiju wrote:I also hope the same thing works with Man Of Steel. Supes popularity is in the shitter nowadays.
The only thing I really liked from Superman was Smallville, Superfriends , and JLU/YJ and the JL animated film set in the 50's.

They really have no idea how to make one do they? I'd rather see a Teen Titans film based on the 80's and animated iterations , a decent Wonder Woman film with Gina Carrano [and with Haywire's choreography] and an Aquaman film than a Superman film.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Bigdog wrote:
shinmattiathekaiju wrote:I also hope the same thing works with Man Of Steel. Supes popularity is in the shitter nowadays.
The only thing I really liked from Superman was Smallville, Superfriends , and JLU/YJ and the JL animated film set in the 50's.

They really have no idea how to make one do they? I'd rather see a Teen Titans film based on the 80's and animated iterations , a decent Wonder Woman film with Gina Carrano [and with Haywire's choreography] and an Aquaman film than a Superman film.
I'm I the only one who is tired of the superhero craze? When they start rebooting reboots I think it's time to say "enough, lets see something new."
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Living Corpse wrote:
ScootaVaran wrote:
Am I the only one who is tired of the superhero craze? When they start rebooting reboots I think it's time to say "enough, lets see something new."
My second oldest sister and I are getting tired of them.
Until i see Thanos in Avengers 2, i'll never get tired.

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

Living Corpse wrote:
ScootaVaran wrote:
Am I the only one who is tired of the superhero craze? When they start rebooting reboots I think it's time to say "enough, lets see something new."
My second oldest sister and I are getting tired of them.
Yeah I think it's gonna play out soon

Avengers was a grand crescendo.
From here I see it fizzling out.
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

MasonWerx
Interpol Agent

Post by MasonWerx »

ScootaVaran wrote:
I'm I the only one who is tired of the superhero craze? When they start rebooting reboots I think it's time to say "enough, lets see something new."
I like Batman Begins and X-men 2 and Dark Knight was ok, but I've been sick of superhero films pretty much since the craze started. The spiderman films are awful. I liked the Tom Jane version of Punisher because it was R rated so it didn't pull so many punches (even though it is a bit corny) but most these other superhero movies are just cheese layered upon cheese with bad costumes and overblown messy storylines, villains with no motivation behind them. The films have their moments, but overall I am really sick of it. The action film has pretty much been replaced by the superhero films.

Then you had pretentious wannabe art crap like Watchmen and V for Vendetta. these films take themselves way too seriously. I keep watching superhero films in hopes of liking them, but I just end up making fun of them all.

Then there have been a number of superhero comedies like Kick-Ass, Scott Pilgrim, etc. VOMIT! And then the Fantastic Four films. They are for little kids, PERIOD!

The first Blade and 1989 BATMAN are the best superhero films ever and I doubt that any film will change my mind anytime soon.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

^^ I just saw ''Blade'' earlier today... It was still just as awesome as it was back in the day, Unfortunately i saw Blade Trinity right after... An it started great... Then i saw Jessica B, Then Ryan R, an whoever the hell played Dracula in human form.... Seriously when did Dracula have a clean cut look? Terrible Terrible film...