3D????

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
CommanderJoe
GPN Volunteer

3D????

Post by CommanderJoe »

So soon after Del Toro was told that his Pacific Rim is being converted to 3D in post(something he was against from the start) we find out that Godzilla will be in 3D. I'm looking forward to a 2D release as well as I find 3D to be anathema to true cinema. :|

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Re: 3D????

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Fan's were not pleased with the fact that Pacific Rim was being converted to 3D, If anything Clash of the Titans an Pacific Rim shows is people are annoyed with converted 3D... I wish they would drop the 3D an just stick with IMAX an the story.

Personally I have no problem with 3D, I saw ''Piranha 3D'' in theater's an thought it was great but if done wrong it can hurt the film more then benefit it.

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

Big difference between the two movies. Pacific Rim was never filmed in 3D. It is an after conversion.

I believe this Godzilla movie has always had the intention of being filmed in Imax 3D. At least it won't be a half assed conversion.

CommanderJoe
GPN Volunteer

Post by CommanderJoe »

The whole serious and somber take on Godzilla and 3D just doesn't gel. It's for the kids and that's it. Are they making a serious Godzilla film or crap? I know that the 3D history stems from the stalled Godzilla that Banno was supposed to direct but seriously...As long as I'm given the opportunity to see it flat I'll be happy otherwise I'll avoid it like the plague. At least Pacific Rim viewers will have the choice. I'm really supremely disappointed :mad:

ゴジラさん
Samurai

Post by ゴジラさん »

While I'm generally against 3D, it can be used effectively in "serious" movies such as Prometheus and Baz Lurhman's upcoming The Great Gatsby. As long as it adds depth to the picture instead of being used as a gimmick (which 3D is in most movies) and is natively filmed in 3D, I remain cautiously optimistic. However, I will probably see it in 2D regardless.
Five Favorite Godzilla Films (not counting Gojira):
1. Mothra vs. Godzilla
2. GMK
3. Godzilla vs. Biollante
4. King Kong vs. Godzilla
5. Destroy All Monsters

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Hey, if the presence of 3D alone completely turns you off a movie feel free not to watch it. The rest of us will (hopefully) have a fun time without you.

If it's post-conversion 3D, I'll just watch the 2D version. If it's actually filmed in 3D, I'll probably see it in that format at least once.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

I recall hearing that 3D is most effective when actually filmed in that format. When converted, it isn't the same effect. Back to the Black Lagoon gave me insight into that. Also, while it may not be done the same way nowadays, apparently the theatre projectors have to be aligned correctly as well. One bit off and your screwed.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of 3D, as I find most movies don't take advantage of it enough. Movies like How to Train Your Dragon, with those POV flying moments did it really well. I might give this a chance if it happens to be filmed in 3D but I'll have to wait and see.

Bluejira
Samurai

Post by Bluejira »

I have no problem with it being filmed in 3D. Most movies i have seen filmed in 3D have added to the film experience. The previews of The Great Gatsby look amazing in 3D. I agree that post conversion of a film is definitely hit and miss.

CommanderJoe
GPN Volunteer

Post by CommanderJoe »

The whole somber mood created by the teaser with the Oppenheimer quotes and then 3D? WTF! :dizzy:

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

3D never impressed me, to be honest. Never once, for any film, did the action feel like it was jumping out at me.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

CommanderJoe wrote:The whole somber mood created by the teaser with the Oppenheimer quotes and then 3D? WTF! :dizzy:
My thoughts exactly.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

I just worry that it might show a lack in confidence in the story being taken serious.
I only mention this from the fact that the director was so adamant in making Godzilla realistic and scary.

I will admit that me worrying is a bit permature so dont take me too seriously.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

bearijuana
GPN Volunteer

Post by bearijuana »

Why is everyone acting like this is some new development just because this was mentioned in the press release about the movie's release date? Its been a known fact the movie would be in 3D since Brian Rogers confirmed it, way back in 2010. This is partly because this was a plan to be a 3D Imax film before being absorbed by Legendary. Even since the early days of Legendary taking over the liscencing rights for this movie, it has been known it will be a 3D film, way before selecting Gareth Edwards as Director. Brian Rogers even states, if you watch this entire video interview, that the original pitch to Legendary was on the idea of a "3D Godzilla".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm52Zlk_6vU
TK's Biggest Druggie

fucck this shit im a samurai

Imma mothervuckin milluhnaire

"If your good at sumthing never do it for free"

"Im an agent of chaos"

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Guys. This is a movie from a major studio that's big on spectacle and effects. It's going for the summer blockbuster kind of market. Of course it's going to be in 3D. Practically every movie in the last couple of years that fits the previous description has been in 3D, and while there are exceptions, they honestly seem to be thinning out. I really don't see why this surprises anyone. If you're really that mortified that it's going to be in 3D, like this movie was going to be true art anyway, just go see the 2D version. Sorry for the snarkiness, but I don't get what makes this a shocking development.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

I don't usually watch movies in 3d. This will be an exception
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss