The Merchandise Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Merchandising that'll come with this

Post by JVM »

I am used to Pessimists. And where I think your being unrealistic is thinking companies are gonna be afraid to invest because it's Godzilla or merchandise coming after the movie is out.
I'm not saying NOBODY will invest in Godzilla. I'm just saying don't expect a big bang like there was back in 1998. Of course there'll be merchandise, but don't expect every toy store to have a whole shelf of Godzilla DVDs or figures based on the classic eras. Besides, I'm pretty sure most merchandising will focus on the new movie as opposed to Godzilla's past. If you look at the Star Wars toy line, Hasbro puts most of it's focus into the Clone Wars line, with a large portion of the Legacy Collection being reissues.
Not only will it be 14 years later from GINO, but this is a (more than likely) big buget movie coming out.
GINO was a HUGE budget movie for it's time. Budget has nothing to do with merchandising. As for GINO, you have to understand how MASSIVE the marketing campaign was. There were HUNDREDS of MILLIONS lost on it. Even wildly successful movies like "Star Trek" still have their toys resting on the shelves a year after release - even though a second wave was finished, it was suddenly cancelled. Retailers are not obligated to pick up items - they pick up what they feel is profitable. And if Wal-Mart is still headed by the same guy as in 1998 (Doubt it, using for the example) and he isn't a Godzilla fan, there's nothing stopping him from saying, "I don't want to carry Godzilla toys. We lost money last time!" I'm sure some retailers will agree, but not all of them.
Take Batman begins for example. They had to go through the failure of Batman and Robin and they still had lots of Toys, greeting cards, ect... for Batman Begins when it came out and that was a shorter period of time between the movies, plus Batman at that time was at a low point anyway, Batman beyond did not do well and the most with batman they had was him on JLU t.v. show.
Batman is a timeless American icon who has a much bigger claim to fame than six movies - he's had several television series and still maintains his comic book series. As for the gamble on Batman Begins, while you do hold a point, it's still a wildly different scenario because Batman has always had a varied past in the USA. There were two good movies and two bad ones to go off. I don't think most bussinesspeople can remember a recent Godzilla film besides the 1998 one.

[quoteThe most I except to happen all the dvds sony and classic media have to be put in stores again, mabey those dvds get blue ray versions (similar to Gojira on just being pretty bare bones), movie-tie in greeting cards and toys and that's about it.[/quote]
Besides the toys, fairly realistic expectations.
I think companies will invest some in it to be safe and see approuch then if it does well at the box office then they increase more merchandising.
That's a very different story. In 1998, the Godzilla marketing blitz with videos, etc. was mostly before and leading up to G98's release. If LP's movie is successful, of course there'll be toys and stuff after release. But I don't think any retailer will be stocking up a lot until post-release.

As for the stores, I've only ever seen DVDs at Best Buy and once at Barnes and Noble. and of course, GINO at Toys R Us and such. Bandai Creation toys are kept at Toys R Us, KB Toys before it was torn down, and the local CVS, although only KB and one of the three Toys R Us ever got the newest batch. The other two got remodeled and skipped wave five entirely.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Flippy
Samurai

Post by Flippy »

All I want is a toy of the (hopefully) awesome new design. Then I can die happy. Also, make it shoot "fire missiles" out of its mouth. That's the skreeonk.
Also, if you could give it armor like the "Powered Up" Trendmasters toys that'd be cool.
You know, just make any new Godzilla toy and I'll buy it. God I'm a sucker.
So I guess you should join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative, I guess. http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

JVM wrote:
Take Batman begins for example. They had to go through the failure of Batman and Robin and they still had lots of Toys, greeting cards, ect... for Batman Begins when it came out and that was a shorter period of time between the movies, plus Batman at that time was at a low point anyway, Batman beyond did not do well and the most with batman they had was him on JLU t.v. show.
Batman is a timeless American icon who has a much bigger claim to fame than six movies - he's had several television series and still maintains his comic book series. As for the gamble on Batman Begins, while you do hold a point, it's still a wildly different scenario because Batman has always had a varied past in the USA. There were two good movies and two bad ones to go off. I don't think most bussinesspeople can remember a recent Godzilla film besides the 1998 one.
quote]

If your looking at Batman from a marketing stand point, he had two good movies (one of which is the old adam west movie) and three bad movies. Batman Returns, while loved by the fans, did worse box office wise than Forever (though not much better) and both had mixed reviews from critics. The animated movie Batman mask of the phantasm barely broke it's 6 million dollor buget even with video release even though it got good reviews from critics. I will not even mention Batman and Robin. While the animated show was successful, this was still at low point cause New adventures (also unoffically known as season 4) and Batman beyond did not do well, there were two failed attempts at making a batman movie (one was batman legecy which the plans where to try to get Jack Nicholson as Joker again and Micheal keaton back while still having robin and batgirl and the other was an attempt at a live-action batman beyond). So while batman has a legecy, his track record before begins was at a very low point.

As far as the toys, I was not talking about Bandai stuff or toys from other godzilla movies, I was meaning movie tie in toys.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

20%-30% of all merchandising sales take place before a film is released. GINO lost potential millions of dollars because they kept Godzilla's look a secret before the opening of the film. LP won't make the same mistake. We will have new Godzilla merchandise available before opening day, but overall I think ticket sales will dictate the flow of the merchandise.

The U.S. economy is bad, and I don't see LP taking any chances. We can only theorize about their strategy, because we don't know what type of film its going to be. Now, if the economy improves and the film has a tone similar to say Star Wars? We could end up seeing a lot of Godzilla everywhere.

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

Hellspawn28 wrote:We have another two (more a year and half since this year is almost over) years to ago, I have no idea how the economy will be like in 2012 and it seems like the economy has effect sales in the past year (For example since it seems like Iron Man 2 made less then the first movie did while most people did agree that the second movie was better then the first movie).

I doubt LP will cover up Godzilla's body like Tristar did back in 1998.
If anything they'll be throwing it at us as much as possible to make sure we know it looks like Godzilla.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Legion1979 wrote:
Killswitch wrote:20%-30% of all merchandising sales take place before a film is released. GINO lost potential millions of dollars because they kept Godzilla's look a secret before the opening of the film. LP won't make the same mistake. We will have new Godzilla merchandise available before opening day, but overall I think ticket sales will dictate the flow of the merchandise.
In terms of marketing and hyping the film as an "event" movie, I just don't see the LP film being as big as GINO.

And please, the economy isn't stopping recent films from breaking box office records. I don't think we should factor that too heavily into things if movies like Avatar and Toy Story 3 can become some of the highest grossing films ever made while the average citizen still has trouble making ends meet.
True, LP will not hype this film like Sony did with GINO. Its not their style, even when they have a winner like Batman. But, we will see merchandise prior to the opening.

You mis-read my post! I'm talking about merchandise sales, not what the movie is going to gross. LP isn't going to commit to a ton of merchandise prior to the film. I think we will see average amounts of merchandise, and if the movie takes off, they will commit to more. This isn't Disney or Lucas Films!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

The economy will definitely improve by 2012, if at least by a tiny bit.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Not sure if anybody's considering the DVDs, but I hope that Legendary Pictures won't sell two different types (one with special features, and one without them). They pull that shit all of the time. -_-

By the way, if this gets pushed back to a late Fall or early Winter theatrical release, any toys that may come of this will probably sell well.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Showa Gyaos wrote:Not sure if anybody's considering the DVDs, but I hope that Legendary Pictures won't sell two different types (one with special features, and one without them). They pull that shit all of the time. -_-
A-fucking-men. Hate that crap. Money grubbing bastards.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Drewzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by Drewzilla »

KaneLocke wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:Not sure if anybody's considering the DVDs, but I hope that Legendary Pictures won't sell two different types (one with special features, and one without them). They pull that shit all of the time. -_-
A-skreeonk-men. Hate that crap. Money grubbing bastards.

Preach it. What's worse is when they later release a Director's Cut or Extended edition. I've seen the extended cuts of LOTR and now I want to buy them. Peter Jackson is an evil genius. That's what I imagine they could do with Godzilla, release the basic DVD, then also the one with all the extra features, then suddenly we get the extended version that was never shown in theatres with never before seen footage.
wataru wrote:DO NOT eat Walmart's Great Value High Fiber Bars - Chocolate. You will fart for HOURS!

I bought a box and couldnt sleep because I kept farting. You doze off and PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT! wake up.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Reeeeaaaaaaaally hoping for a sweet video game.
Haters gonna hate

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I really hope that the rights issues to GOJIRA (84')/ RETURN OF GODZILLA / GODZILLA 1985 get worked out by the time 2012 rolls around. A 2-disk addition with the Japanese version, as well as New World's GODZILLA 1985 on the second disk would be ideal. More than likely, the rarely heard dub for RETURN OF GODZILLA won't end up being used (Not that anyone is missing out, unless your a fan of the Hong Kong dubs)
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Something I think the kids will just love, GODZILLA:THE FLAME THROWER.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Ultraman Omega
Monsterland Worker

Post by Ultraman Omega »

Godzilla Sunscreen: SPF 53000. The city may burn in the nuclear holocaust, but you won't!

Green ketchup: Here's some Godzilla blood to go with your fries!

The Godzilla Smart Car: It has a back seat!

Joking aside, I'd like to see some of the movies converted to blue ray, as well as some kickass toys, and a good video game. And if dreams do come true, maybe a release of Godzilla and the Lost Continent.

Old Gregg
GPN Volunteer

Post by Old Gregg »

Merchandising, merchandising, merchandising! Where all the real money from the movie is made!
gimme a cookie or Imma gonna kill you

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

As long as we get Godzilla The Toilet Paper I am so down with the Spaceballs school of marketing.
Haters gonna hate

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Rockzilla »

Hellspawn28 wrote:The major blockbusters of summer 2012 is going to be The Avengers, Men in Black III, Spider-Man, Batman 3, Star Trek 2, and Wolverine 2. Its hard to say how the Marketing is going to work at the moment since we have no release date at the moment.

Does anyone else think Godzilla might get pushed back to 2013 or later? Some of the other movies could potentially fall back as well. I'm pretty sure Legendary Pictures/WB won't release this movie the same year as another Batman film from them.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Rockzilla wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:The major blockbusters of summer 2012 is going to be The Avengers, Men in Black III, Spider-Man, Batman 3, Star Trek 2, and Wolverine 2. Its hard to say how the Marketing is going to work at the moment since we have no release date at the moment.

Does anyone else think Godzilla might get pushed back to 2013 or later? Some of the other movies could potentially fall back as well. I'm pretty sure Legendary Pictures/WB won't release this movie the same year as another Batman film from them.
I have said this at-least a 100 times, but yes i agree. Godzilla will ''Not'' make the 2012 Summer release. The earliest i see this film coming in ''Winter 2012'' but 2013 is our best bet personally..

Besides it isn't just Batman.. There's just to many huge Block-Buster Sequels coming in 2012 that will clearly over-shadow Godzilla to give it the chance to bring in major bank. Im sure both Legendary Pictures an Warner Bro's know this as well an are trying to pick a date that will allow Godzilla to bring in money in both IMAX an 3D

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Tyler wrote:Toho Kingdom: You're surrounded by assholes. :)
People are just realizing this?

I'm hoping - but not expecting - an American-based toy line, hopefully from Hasbro, with reproductions of Godzilla characters of all eras in a Bandai compatible scale, and at an affordable price.

My guess is we'll get any new monsters and a couple popular older foes.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

I'm hoping - but not expecting - an American-based toy line, hopefully from Hasbro, with reproductions of Godzilla characters of all eras in a Bandai compatible scale, and at an affordable price.

My guess is we'll get any new monsters and a couple popular older foes.
I sure hope THIS becomes a reality. :huge:
Formerly known as kurtzilla