Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Marciosss
Yojimbo

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by Marciosss »

Sammy19 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:51 am
Red-Death Gigan wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:32 am If any of this Son of Kong talk is real, Kong's dying in the next entry or two. Wish Godzilla would die, GvK killed Godzilla for me in the series. Hero to Zero...
No way they're going kill of either of their cash cows. Also, in what was Godzilla zero in GVK? Sure, he had less screen time but he was more menacing, blew a hole in the hollow earth, went rage mode on Kong and won. I wouldn't hold the Mecha fight against him considering he always had help against it.
It not about what he doing, but why. In two previous film Godzilla serve as natural-balance protector. In GvK he is in bad mood, so to de-stress selw he going to kill Kong (who only sits on his Island) and some inocent people. Oh yeah, there is a mechagodzilla but if Godzilla can smell Ghidorah in him, why not go to Hong Kong in first place?

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

Marciosss wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:01 am
Red-Death Gigan wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:32 am If any of this Son of Kong talk is real, Kong's dying in the next entry or two. Wish Godzilla would die, GvK killed Godzilla for me in the series. Hero to Zero...
No way they're going kill of either of their cash cows. Also, in what was Godzilla zero in GVK? Sure, he had less screen time but he was more menacing, blew a hole in the hollow earth, went rage mode on Kong and won. I wouldn't hold the Mecha fight against him considering he always had help against it.
It not about what he doing, but why. In two previous film Godzilla serve as natural-balance protector. In GvK he is in bad mood, so to de-stress selw he going to kill Kong (who only sits on his Island) and some inocent people. Oh yeah, there is a mechagodzilla but if Godzilla can smell Ghidorah in him, why not go to Hong Kong in first place?
I'd say he's trying to keep balance but Kong was in his territory. I'm pretty sure if Kong hadn't been there then Godzilla would've definitely arrived sooner in Hong Kong than later on.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Marciosss wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:01 am
Did... Did you just not pay attention to the eyeball/device in the beginning having the Titan lure? It has nothing to do with Godzilla "smelling" Ghidorah, MG has a built-in Orca that's challenging Godzilla whenever it is turned on. The device was in Florida when it was originally activated before being transported to Hong Kong following the attack.

The entire thing with Kong is legit explained. "There can't be two alphas." That's it. It's a whole conversation early on about why they can't/shouldn't take Kong off the island. Godzilla acted the same way to Kong the same way he acted to Ghidorah when he popped up from where he's suppose to be. All of you guys complaining about Godzilla being the "villain" seem to have it in your head that being a "hero" means he's on humanity's side, and that straight up isn't the case. He's on nature's side.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Godzilla was never a "hero" in these movies at all. A hero is a character that does things because they have morals.

Godzilla is a territorial apex predator that attacks competition, but can still recognize who/what is on his side. He is not a hero.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:55 am Godzilla was never a "hero" in these movies at all. A hero is a character that does things because they have morals.

Godzilla is a territorial apex predator that attacks competition, but can still recognize who/what is on his side. He is not a hero.
Very well said. Humanity simply hasn't crossed that line with him yet, which is very surprising considering they dropped nukes and then the oxygen destroyer on him.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:55 am Godzilla was never a "hero" in these movies at all. A hero is a character that does things because they have morals.

Godzilla is not a hero in the morality of humans. He is a hero in a universal sense and he wakes up when ever the planet is in danger.

Are we going to argue Heisei Gamera isn't a hero?

Added in 2 minutes 46 seconds:
People that say Godzilla was ruined in iotm need to go and watch kotm and GvsK again. Kong is no different from Ghidorah in the higherarcy as far as Godzilla is concerned. Godzilla has to deal with what he thinks is Ghidorah coming back and Kong running around both which could be threats.

Godzilla doesn't know Kong is not after the Alpha role like we the audience knows.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:57 am

Very well said. Humanity simply hasn't crossed that line with him yet, which is very surprising considering they dropped nukes and then the oxygen destroyer on him.
Nuke radiation feeds him, so he probably thought humanity's nukes were gifts from his perspective.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:51 pm

Nuke radiation feeds him, so he probably thought humanity's nukes were gifts from his perspective.
To him, humans are other organisms in the ecosystem. In some cases, they will be neutral or harmless, or may even work with him. In KOTM, we see them trying to help him, and I would wager he perceived that similar to Mothra's symbiotic relationship to him. They had a common enemy, and he recognized that.
However, once they activated the ORCA device with Ghidorah's signal as part of Apex's plans, he turned on them. He's on the side of the planet, his home, and Ghidorah threatened it. If humans "betrayed" him and seemingly sided with a returning Ghidorah, he will see them as a threat. An alpha that gets in his way, like Kong, will also be viewed as a threat. Just like Apex sees Godzilla as a danger to overcome, he saw that signal and humans as a danger to overcome.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

Speaking of Oxygen Destroyer, I do hope they address it in the next film or the film after that.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Sammy19 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:28 am Speaking of Oxygen Destroyer, I do hope they address it in the next film or the film after that.
I was thinking about this yesterday. I don’t really know how they’re going to address it in a satisfactory way. They have a weapon that nearly killed Godzilla. It would be really weird if it’s completely absent from the MonsterVerse going forward, but the alternative would be the military throwing one out every time monsters are around. The best way to address it would probably be to introduce Destoroyah, but I personally really don’t want that lol. It just really bugs me how casually they introduced the Oxygen Destroyer.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Sammy19 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:28 am Speaking of Oxygen Destroyer, I do hope they address it in the next film or the film after that.
I suspect there will be a brief mention at some point that the military is either barred from using the Oxygen Destroyer again or else has been saddled with severe restrictions on future usage due to the massive ecological harm it causes. We know from the post-credits scene in KOTM that the fishing industry of Isla de Mara suffered after its deployment. It would not be unfair to assume that the repercussions extended into other industries and that the regional and perhaps national economy may still be recovering. This would make any future deployment of the Oxygen Destroyer an ecologic, economic, and diplomatic nightmare.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 6680007680

Added in 22 seconds:
Rebecca Hall, Brian Tyree Henry and Kaylee Hottle are reprising their roles with Dan Stevens, Fala Chen, Alex Ferns and Rachel House also set to star.

Added in 41 seconds:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Oh, goody, a bunch of kaiju backstory... :roll:
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

just happy Bernie is back

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Excellent!!!! This officially confirms Godzilla’s return. Who’s ready to eat some crow?
eabaker wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:29 am Oh, goody, a bunch of kaiju backstory... :roll:
Oh, goody, more snark from people without having seen the movie yet. :roll:

I’m betting a lot of the backstory elements that were cut from GvK will be used in this movie.

Also it sounds like most of the cast and crew from GvK are returning which makes complete sense…why break up a winning team?

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

It seems like Millie Bobby Brown, Alan Skarsgard, Kyle Chandler, and Julian Dennison aren't returning?

Edit: Cinematographer Ben Seresin and composer Junkie XL are back too.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

kaijukurt wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:50 am It seems like Millie Bobby Brown, Alan Skarsgard, Kyle Chandler, and Julian Dennison aren't returning?

Edit: Cinematographer Ben Seresin and composer Junkie XL are back too.
as someone who just got out of binging all of stranger things two weekends ago, MBB obviously wasn't enjoying being in these films compared to her REALLY good performance in ST.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

A couple things….

Is there an ORIGINAL source for the plot synopsis? If so where is it?

Also, lol here come the fanboys with their horrible “theories” and ideas. Can’t wait to hear more World Serpent and planet-sized Biollante bullshit.

Gonna be a long year and a half
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Not really stoked about Junkie XL and the character of Bernie returning, but I’m generally looking forward to the rest.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:23 am A couple things….

Is there an ORIGINAL source for the plot synopsis? If so where is it?

Also, lol here come the fanboys with their horrible “theories” and ideas. Can’t wait to hear more World Serpent and planet-sized Biollante bullshit.

Gonna be a long year and a half
The source is mentioned as WB and Legendary in collider article
https://collider.com/godzilla-vs-kong-2 ... se-sequel/