Your Take on the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JAGzilla
Sazer

Your Take on the Monsterverse

Post by JAGzilla »

As the current discussion in the Unpopular Opinion Thread shows, TK has a wide range of takes on the Monsterverse. While it's a hot topic and we're nearing the end of an inter-movie lull, I thought this would be a good time to lay out our opinions in a dedicated, uncluttered new thread. So say whatever you have to say, positive, negative, or anywhere in between. Be honest, and try to be somewhat comprehensive: like a better version of the "Who Hates Heisei?" thread, the goal here is to have a clear look at what each of us actually thinks of these movies. It's a useful point of reference to have available. Some discussion is appropriate, but let's try not to derail the basic topic egregiously, and above all: this is not a debate thread. There are no right or wrong opinions here, no winners or losers. The goal should not be to convince anyone of anything or to change any minds. We're just compiling information here.

So! With that out of the way, I'll start. I get the impression I've picked up a reputation for disliking the Monsterverse. That is not the case. Godzilla vs. Kong pissed me off for reasons I'll go into below, but my overall opinion is generally positive.

Godzilla (2014): I don't have any strong opinions either way on this one. I haven't seen it since 2016 and am due for a rewatch, but as I recall, it's a solid middle-of-the-road type movie. As an attempt at Americanizing Godzilla, it was worlds better than GINO and frankly just about the best we can realistically ask for from modern Hollywood. Gareth Edwards was a good director with some kind of actual vision that succeeded well enough. Frank Darabont's section of the script was great and Brian Cranston obviously gave us an engaging first act. The rest is lesser without them, but not deal-breakingly so; ATJ might be kind of bland, but that's not the worst thing a protagonist can be. He carries things along well enough.

Godzilla himself is wonderful. I wasn't sure about the design in still images, but it's one of the best in action. He's regal, he's powerful, he's expressive. He fights tooth-and-claw, vicious and animalistic, in a way suits could never really give us, and that was hugely welcome for me. His late Showa-esque relationship with humanity was also welcome after decades of Heisei/Millennium villain or aggressive antihero roles.

The MUTOs... at the time I think I was underwhelmed. My brothers understandably wrote them off as the same spindly, multi-limbed things that are in every other American monster movie these days, and I probably agreed. They've grown on me a lot, though. At the very least, nothing else in the Toho pantheon looks like them, and they serve their purpose as dangerous-but-tragic animal antagonists. The scenes of their EMPs knocking fighter jets out of the air are very dramatically godlike, and highlights of the MV so far.

I was irritated by the lack of military action and destruction, and the kind of wide, stable, distance shots of the kaiju that we get all the time in Japanese movies. The harmless nuke was also a big stain on the movie, and really one of the worst things you can possibly do in this franchise. These things are what they are, though. Godzilla was never going to come to America without some kind of cultural hangups bogging things down.

Kong: Skull Island: Another generally middling film. The human cast is pretty easily the overall best in the MV so far, with Samuel L. Jackson, John Goodman, and John C. Reilly giving good performances as memorable characters, and the ensemble cast of soldiers were entertaining. Tom Hiddleston was wasted on our utterly forgettable generic lead guy, and the weird, unfocused sloppiness of the script was just a problem in general, letting the good aspects of it down. The director handled the action well, though.

Kong himself was very fresh in this (!) original, non-remake story. I was very glad to see the brown hair and bipedal stance of the Toho version return. He feels just like a powerful, wild, god-king monster should, and I don't remember having any complaints about him. Skull Island itself is very cool, with its menagerie of original monsters replacing the traditional dinosaurs. I love the Sker Buffalo, especially; it was nice to see some cute, peaceful herbivores to break up the train of killer predators a little bit. The Skullcrawlers, again, weren't the most standout or memorable creations ever, but they did what they had to. An overall flawed but enjoyable ride.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019): Things start to get rougher here. The good outweighed the bad, by a lot in some areas, but the cracks are big and ugly. No one in the cast is particularly memorable, and most of those that are stick in my mind for being annoying. I don't let a few bad jokes hurt the movie too much for me, but they were there. Mark being overwhelmingly the brains of the operation was irritating. The sledgehammer blunt tell-don't-show exposition feels so clunky, although I've softened my stance on it since rewatching GvD a few weeks ago; I suspect it heavily inspired the writing here, and I can't get too mad if that was the case. It sucked in '95 and it sucks now, but if it was at all meant to be a callback for fans, it's semi-okay. The plot was handled poorly, with Charles Dance being terribly sidelined. The breakneck speed of it all is a problem, because a lot of big things are happening and we don't get time to digest any of them. Once again, military action and destruction are minimal. It's all just sloppy and feels immature and unprofessional, everything I hate about the typical modern blockbuster.

But the monsters save the day. Once again, the Monsterverse lives up to its name: they are the real stars here. Ghidorah! Rodan! (!!!) Mothra! A bunch of noobs! All up there on the American big screen, brought to glorious life by American CGI, expressive and mobile and full of detailed life that rubber and wires could never quite give them. It was such a huge, satisfying relief, seeing Dougherty do my old friends justice on the world's biggest stage. Were there problems? Inadequacies? Room for improvement? Of course. But none of them were GINO. Hollywood took a shot at Toho's other Big Names, and they didn't miss. That deserves celebration. Ghidorah, in particular, was just outstanding. Yeah, he lacked some of the chaos we're used to, but this sinister, slinking, malevolent serpent god made a kickass kaiju villain, and had his moments of impressive grandeur. The filmmakers did a fantastic job utilizing the new medium of CGI to let the monsters move and behave in ways they couldn't with traditional effects, interacting with humans and all that. Some people don't like the cutaways and insistence on keeping the humans in the thick of the action, but (for the most part) I felt like it was a good move. Suitmation simply doesn't allow the humans to scurry around the monsters' feet, dodging tails and explosions right in the middle of a fight. It was a good attempt at utilizing the technology to do something new.

The handling of the nukes was again awkward at best; I think a case can be made that the intention was to show nukes as a positive thing that keep the world in balance and prevent war. The execution was wonky, but taking an American stance in an American take on Godzilla is an understandable route to go. Anyway, we got a return by Burning Godzilla out of it, and he was pretty cool for what he was. Sometimes big dumb spectacle is enough.

And then there was the Oxygen Destroyer. The less said here, the better.

The fanservice was appreciated. I don't always go for that stuff; Disney Star Wars, for example, typically just makes me mad. But seeing things like Raptor 1 referenced here made my day. Raptor 1! Half the people here, probably a lot more than half, didn't get something that obscure. Someone working on this movie knew what they were talking about, and I can respect the shit out of that.

The Alpha system has the downside of elevating certain monsters way above the crowd, but it was something new, and I could embrace it. Seeing Godzilla finally take his place as King of the Monsters in a very literal way was a strange moment, but very satisfying. The other monsters actually bowed. Dumb? Yeah, but in a good way. I was hyped as hell to see this new world being taken back and terraformed by its new pantheon of kaiju gods, ruled over by their vicious but just king, and then-

Godzilla vs. Kong: -nothing was done with it. At all. I was more or less prepared for the movie to sideline the other Titans and the world they'd created. I didn't expect it to be a big, central deal, although I couldn't help but hope for that. But it was a bat to the face to see it absolutely retconned. No mention whatsoever. There hasn't been a Titan sighting in three years. This is really a standalone movie, but the studio mandated a cinematic universe, so you're just going to have to deal with it. I'm not a real big continuity guy, but when you totally disregard the game-changing ending of your previous movie, that just doesn't feel right. Skull Island being destroyed and the Iwi wiped out off-screen also felt really bizarre, lazy, and mean-spirited. I've moved on and made my peace with it now, but damn did it take the wind out of my sails in the moment.

So that led to my initial viewing falling on its face right out of the gate. I was tired that day, anyway, and not in the best frame of mind to put up with bullshit. Godzilla losing all of his regality to become a snarling, crawling, rabid lizard hurt, too. The chopped up movie clearly had reasons for Godzilla to hate Kong so much, but they got edited out, so I was left scratching my head and asking what the hell was going on during the final battle.

Mechagodzilla was there, I guess. He was ugly, and his whole scene reeked of bing bang pow zoom CGI excess.

Everything else about the movie felt half-baked or shredded in editing. The characters were utterly forgettable, with the exception of Jia, but she couldn't carry this thing alone.

Eh, that's enough, I guess. I've been typing for two hours, and I'm done. :lol: I'm going to rewatch GvK soon and try to give it a fair reassessment. I don't expect much to change, but we'll see.

Three out of four are enjoyable, and that ain't turrible. The Monsterverse is weighed down by modern Hollywood's problems, but it has its strong points and a lot to like. If some better writers can get involved, there's potential for a promising future. GvK torpedoed my investment in the story and the details, but that has an upside: I don't care what happens next. So that improves my odds of walking into the next movie and being fine with whatever it is. Going in with low expectations has historically worked out very well for me.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Your Take on the Monsterverse

Post by Gigantis »

It's.... Fine. Not amazing, not terrible, it's just fine.

Godzilla 2014 is a decent movie, and it's competently made, but the hype goggles surrounding it have long since worn off, and flaws are much easier to point out. The cutaways are still annoying, the plot really isn't all that engaging, I still really can't get into Ford as a protagonist and the final battle really ain't all that enticing minus a couple of standout scenes. On the other hand, Godzilla got a really good makeover, and the M.U.T.O's were nice additions to his rogue's gallery. Not to mention, the score is pretty solid!

KSI is probably still my favorite. It has the most memorable characters and Skull Island is just a wonder to see. Vogt Roberts' directing really pays off when it comes to capturing the landscape of Vietnam, and it's a refreshing take on the tale! All of the new creatures like the Skullcrawlers and co. are also pretty entertaining to watch. (though I admittedly do with their were some normal dinosaurs running around) Kong is also a wonderful character and he's super easy to root for. Some of the jokes are kinda "hit and miss" though (what was the point of cracking a joke about their names when you literally just built the Skullcrawlers up as a threat?) and it has the least memorable music. Still, pretty solid.

KOTM.. Honestly, I'm gonna keep this one brief, because every grudge I have against it has already been said before. The colors are dull and don't bring out the monster's colors at all, Ghidorah's design could've been a lot better, beyond telling the humans where Godzilla is Mothra doesn't do anything that important, the jokes are terrible, the treatment of the Oxygen Destroyer in itself is a complete joke, MBB's acting talents are reduced to just her screaming out her vocal cords, and while the updated spines are cool, Godzilla's redesign really doesn't exist for any real reason beyond fanservice. Some of the smaller easter eggs are cool though, and Behemoth is awesome. Beyond that? It's just a really mediocre flick.

GVK is an improvement over KOTM, but I can't really say I care about it all that much. Kong's easily the best part of the movie, and his relationship with Jia is adorable; and the action scenes are easily one of the MV's best. Beyond that? Everything is just kind of.. your typical Hollywood blockbuster. MBB's more engaging to watch this time around, but the other two members of Team Godzilla just sort of.. exist, and the rest of Team Kong really isn't all too special either, though I'm glad they exist because it'd be kind of weird to see Jia running around by herself. :lol: I also feel like Skull Island sinking is kind of pointless, but eh, what can you do?

Mechagodzilla is also a really mixed bag. I don't HATE the design, and the concept of MG being taking over by Ghidorah's ghost is a cool one, but.. I don't know. Each time I watch a scene with him in it, I just feel nothing.

Overall, the MonsterVerse ain't anything special. It's your typical, modern Hollywood cinematic universe, that just so happens to have some really famous kaiju names attached. Maybe it'll improve over time, maybe it won't; but for right now, the stuff Toho's made is overall more engaging to me, so I'm focusing more on those when it comes to getting a Godzilla fix than I am with what's coming out in America.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Godzilla 2014 is kinda perfect. Approaching/depicting the giant monsters like natural disasters was executed masterfully. They feel just the right amount of unstoppable and emotionally intelligent too. Though the San Fran fight was done dirty with that murky grey darkness filter. People complain about the lead(s) but I still find that part of the movie fine overall. Didn't over complicate itself like KOTM did and even in that movie I didn't find the the drama so bad.
Kong Skill Island is also quite fine, enjoyable but my least favorite of the bunch. Everything's very on the nose like Packard and the much "more noble, gentler" pro Kong protagonists. Or the seismic forest bombing, or some parts of Kong's attack on the choppers, or the end credits scene. Some shots in this movie aren't most convincing. The end fight is really great as are the creature designs.
KOTM I really can really enjoy but dislike some of the dialogue (quips) as much as the next guy. The love for Godzilla shows. Honestly this movie has some of the coolest moments in the series.
GVK had good build up preceding it and I think the Tasman sea and duo Vs Mechagodzilla fights are really great. Just as exciting and fun as KOTM if not moreso.
The next Monsterverse movie being filmed seems interesting, I guess. We don't know much about it so.. Just hope it doesn't feel repetitive to what they've already made. At this point the Monsterverse has given me all I think I want in a big budget Godzilla series. Guess seeing some more of these creatures in this world could be just as entertaining as its already been.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Godzilla 2014 was good, but it could've been a lot better. Still a welcome return to a fictional character who had been dormant for too long.

Kong: Skull Island was a great movie, and easily the best of the MonsterVerse.

King of the Monsters was downright the worst Godzilla movie, and was such a painful letdown it's not even funny.

Godzilla vs Kong was...okay. Entertaining fight scenes, lackluster soundtrack, and characters that, while not annoying, just exist. Seriously lacking on the sense of scale and weight that Godzilla 2014 and Skull Island had.

I seriously hope the MonsterVerse can pick itself up with the next movie, and stay that way in the future.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

G14 was ok.

Skull Island was good.

KOTM, in retrospect, and despite what I've said in the past, isn't that bad. It's not very good though.

GvK went full monster action and I can't hate it for that. Worse human stuff but best monster action throughout the series.

Overall, it ranks 4th in my Era rankings. It's only not last because the Reiwa Era has had such a shit consistency issue.
For Emperor and Empire!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

At some point soon, I’m gonna have to give these four movies a proper rewatch, in order, to best analyze how they work as a universe. From memory, they do a decent job at being an interconnected kaiju universe, but there’s plenty of room for improvement (especially among the humans). Telling you right now, though, I view these very optimistically compared to some other takes. I’ll do my best to look at them with a critical eye.

So, with that out of the way, here’s what I think about the Monsterverse so far. :godzilla2021:
Spoiler marked for convenience.
Spoiler:
G14: a pretty enjoyable start and a solid enough Godzilla entry. It’s more entertaining than G98, that’s for sure.
Humans are decent enough but I still take issue with the lead’s blandness. I’ve come to appreciate his role over time, but he’s still not the type of lead I prefer. Other characters, like Cranston’s, are good or decent enough.
Godzilla and the MUTOs get a nice dynamic and seeing Godzilla chase after them is engaging. The kiss of death and the fights overall are excellent, with some decent tracks behind it (Last Shot is great). I also found a lot of the cinematography great for capturing size— this movie does it best compared to later entries. I also like Godzilla and Ford getting that one moment in the rubble and the payoff that comes in the final moments of the fight.
As a whole, it’s a story that works well at building tension for these behemoths and a solid introduction to Legendary’s take on Godzilla.
Spoiler:
Skull Island: Another enjoyable movie and one that got me to better appreciate Kong overall.
The humans here are better than most of the MV, perhaps the best, but they’re still pretty one-note besides John C Reilly’s role. However, they do work to make me care to see them survive, for the most part, so I like them. The score is good (Man vs Beast is an exceptional track!) and has great classic picks to help set the time period. Shots are also not bad, they’re perfectly campy for me and hit that right balance of awesome and cheesy.
Kaiju here are pretty great. In particular, I really like Skullcrawlers and the Sker buffalo. Kong gets a nice MV design and some great fights. The pathos that comes with the character of Kong is not as prominent to my recollection, but it’s still there enough to make you care for him and root for him.
Overall, this entry is nice. I had a blast watching it, and exploring this bigger Skull Island is a treat.
Spoiler:
KOTM: My personal favorite of the bunch. A movie with some high highs and low lows. As an experience, seeing it in theaters multiple times, it ranks amazingly high for me.
The pros include great characterization of the kaiju. I really enjoy seeing Godzilla and Ghidorah’s rivalry and seeing how Rodan and Mothra react. There’s also some standout shots, the movie overall embracing a tone of campy yet elevated that I find really fun, McCreary’s score elevating the fights and the admittedly weak human story, Serizawa’s sacrifice, and all of the Titan lore they weave in.
The cons found in the rampant cutaways (though not a huge problem for me, personally, at least usually) and some of those awful jokes that fall flat. Additionally, the lack of clarity in some shots thanks to overwhelming amounts of particle effects and filters really make it hard to appreciate the kaiju in their environment.
With all that said, it’s a love letter to much of the franchise through and through, and it’s a very enjoyable entry for me. Its flaws hold it back.
Spoiler:
GVK: And now we reach the rematch everyone was hyped for. Was it worth that wait?
Yeah, mostly. It’s another case of high highs and low lows.
Humans are still weak. Aside from the ones that are genuinely compelling (Jia!) or just fun in a silly way (Bernie), they’re not really worth talking about. Ren Serizawa could’ve been so much more, but he was introduced and then tossed away.
Kong is the heart of the movie and I came away from this movie a bigger fan of MV Kong than before. His role was great, and I liked his journey to go home. Godzilla got decent scenes and got to go crazy in the fights, and I sort of liked what they did with him pursuing the Ghidorah signal so vehemently. Mechagodzilla was a cool concept and I didn’t have a major problem with his inclusion. However, more could have gone into his creation (and damn it, use Ren Serizawa!).
The score by Junkie XL was ok, few good tracks and themes, but not as great as what Bear did. The title sequence was so great for building hype and gave me chills as I watched, I just wish that kind of music was more prevalent in the movie’s fights. Cinematography was clearer than KOTM’s, which was a bonus. Ignoring the other kaiju they had just established was a mistake, but I like the Hollow Earth lore expansion (we need more Doug). Certain decisions were made on which parts of the world to focus on for the story, and I didn’t agree with all of them.
That being said, movie is good, once again held back by a human plot that is underdeveloped. It’s fun and props up the kaiju, but needed more development for the other elements to tick better.
As a whole, the Monsterverse is not the best set of films, but it’s been a great ride to experience since it started, and I hope it continues for a little while longer. With that being said, on a personal note, I thank these movies for letting me better introduce Godzilla to my friends. Some of them now understand why I adore kaiju so much. It’s also pretty fantastic seeing these classic monsters in full modern effects. These movies, for the most part, make me happy, so I’m glad they exist.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Interesting thoughts.

Kind of surprised to see such a low opinion of GKOTM.

For me, this has been my favorite Godzilla incarnation and era of Godzilla on film yet.

I love the early Showa stuff, up until about 65, and I love the two films from the 80s but outside of that I had nearly grown out of my love for the character until this series of film more or less captured everything I love about the character.

G 2014-the best “film” of the bunch. Middling as a Godzilla film but there’s a lot going for it including an unmatched sense of scale.

KSI-I go back and forth between thinking this film nailed the perfect tone for these movies and thinking it’s a bit sloppy in its editing, while also featuring the dullest leads in any of these films. Great secondary cast of characters though. Fun film all in all, with great action that perfectly balances scale with dynamic movement.

GKOTM-I have flipped so much on this film. Back and forth. At its height, it’s my favorite G film, or at least in terms of modern films. It does everything so well with the monsters. And while the cuts bother me more here than G 2014, I do understand why they’re necessary….the way these titans are built, it’s hard to have uncut scenes of them fighting and to have it engaging. Think of seeing two falcons fight. Or two bears/Komodo dragons. Regarding the humans….I like Mark but he’s unlikable by nature and that’s about the best we get in this film beyond Serizawa. None of the humans are awful to me, but none are great either. Still, it’s kind of the perfect Godzilla film for a newcomer and I love that. Warts and all.

GvK. Absolute dumb fun blockbuster. It’s no surprise that this was the film to finally connect with the general audience. It’s a kaiju film, boiled down to its purest essence and its big, loud and fun. The characters work in their respective roles. Sure, could this movie be better? Yes. But so can nearly every movie.

All in all, I love these films while I admit they’re heavily flawed. To each their own.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:14 pm G 2014-the best “film” of the bunch. Middling as a Godzilla film but there’s a lot going for it including an unmatched sense of scale.
Just want to quote this because I agree. IMO it's easily the best film of the four and a good movie, period.

That said, although I like it, it doesn't elicit any passion in me the way the classic Godzilla movies do. After watching it three times in its first release, I've only looked at it once on video, and I'm not in much of a rush to revisit it. That's also true for the other three MV movies, unfortunately, although I can't say I actually like any of those. I admit I had fun with GvK, but it sure seems like the kind of movie that'll yield greatly diminishing returns on each subsequent look.

The other two disappointed me, albeit for different reasons. I didn't see KSI on release and only caught up with it before GvK, and while I'd heard a lot of good things about it, it didn't click with me. I thought it was just OK. OTOH, I was really looking forward to KotM before it came out, but I found it totally unappealing. I'm not interested in going out of my way to give either of these another shot, but maybe someday way down the road.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Marciosss
Yojimbo

Post by Marciosss »

Godzilla (2014) and Skull Island are the best instalments. They have some flaws. Godzilla: killing of best character, ill-considered MUTO life cycle. Kong introduce elements through which MONARCH in next movie looks like cult not scientific organisation.

KOTM, if someone re-edit this. Each of major Kaiju has his accompanying color scheme, so what if scenes where they collide are so jerky that you barelly can see it? If director provide little longer shots.
Or exposition, why Emma talk to MONARCH about titans impact on enviroment if they know it? Serizawa talk about this during the trial, but instead of provide (like Emma) evidences for instance fotage of Las Vegas, he talk to judges like haunted preacher.

GvK, for me it look that way: They make a movie, then cut everytning despite of fight on the sea. Then quickli shots addtional fottage to take up to two hours.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Godziller 2012 :godzilla2021blue: : It's really good. I don't have major problems with it (There are some critiques of characters, but for this series, I think they're pretty solid, though more could have been done with Olsen!). Gareth Edwards took on the mission and achieved one of the finest Godzilla films ever. The MUTOs didn't end up being fan favorites, but I really like them in this film.

Kong: Skull Island :kingkong1962: : It's also really good. No major complaints here. An ideal blockbuster kind of movie and probably my second favorite Kong-focused movie after the original. The Skullcrawler is a memorable villain, as is Jackson's character.

Godzilla King of the Monsters :KingGhidorah64: : Fantastic kaiju elements (I would prefer more Mothra, though maybe what's at fault here is cramming introductions of too many monsters into one film) and some big misses with characters. I don't care enough about this movie to get deep into its story or even remember names, but the human drama doesn't click for me at all. It goes on too long and never really resonates, except for the Serizawa moments, which are moving but rely on "fan-ness" to appeal. In general, too much overt appealing to "the fans" and not enough crafting a film that works well on its own. Not a terrible film by any means, and I enjoy many parts of it, but it was a letdown after its superb first trailer and the possibilities it held.

Godzilla vs Kong :godzilla1962: : Big, dumb, and fun. It pairs the action that was positive about KoTM with a human story that is simplified (perhaps too much for many tastes) and shorter. It doesn't pretend to be that interested in the human end of things, so its ambitions are less lofty, and as a result it lets itself succeed in being an action flick with some super charming monster moments. If this were all the Godzilla series ever offered, we might complain, but it was a welcome refreshment after KoTM overstayed its welcome. Would be better with slightly smarter writing and humor, but this is preferable to long, bloated, and ponderous.
Last edited by Jomei on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I enjoyed all four of them when they first came out, especially Skull Island and Godzilla vs Kong.

But...I havent revisited them since. I own G14 and KOTM on bluray and never even watched them. As much as I had fun watching all of them in a theater (or streaming on GvsK's case) nothing in me has a desire to watch them again.

Oh well.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:32 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:14 pm G 2014-the best “film” of the bunch. Middling as a Godzilla film but there’s a lot going for it including an unmatched sense of scale.
Just want to quote this because I agree. IMO it's easily the best film of the four and a good movie, period.

That said, although I like it, it doesn't elicit any passion in me the way the classic Godzilla movies do. After watching it three times in its first release, I've only looked at it once on video, and I'm not in much of a rush to revisit it. That's also true for the other three MV movies, unfortunately, although I can't say I actually like any of those. I admit I had fun with GvK, but it sure seems like the kind of movie that'll yield greatly diminishing returns on each subsequent look.

The other two disappointed me, albeit for different reasons. I didn't see KSI on release and only caught up with it before GvK, and while I'd heard a lot of good things about it, it didn't click with me. I thought it was just OK. OTOH, I was really looking forward to KotM before it came out, but I found it totally unappealing. I'm not interested in going out of my way to give either of these another shot, but maybe someday way down the road.
Yep. G 2014 is the BEST film of the bunch but it’s not necessarily the most fun. It’s a vegetables vs sugary donut type of analogy.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

king_ghidorah wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:34 pm Yep. G 2014 is the BEST film of the bunch but it’s not necessarily the most fun. It’s a vegetables vs sugary donut type of analogy.
I think it's the best and the only one that's enjoyable, but that's my 2 cents.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I love it don’t get me wrong. It occasionally sits at the top spot of my G films list. It’s just a different sort of vibe than most other Godzilla films.

Always happy to see the G 2014 love, I actually created a fan group on FB for the film a few months back. Didn’t get much traction but it’s there lol.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3865415 ... ?ref=share

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I’d rank them like this, from favorite to least favorite:
  • Kong: Skull Island
  • Godzilla
  • Godzilla vs. Kong
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters
To me, KSI has the most personality and style to it. It’s not exactly deep or poignant, but out of the four films, it stands out for feeling like an old fashioned adventure film, as opposed to just a kaiju slugfest.

Meanwhile, G14 has the best sense of scale and tension out of any of these movies, and it’s easily the most “artsy” of the bunch, even if it’s not to the extent that the trailers suggested. I just wish Ford Brody wasn’t so bland.

GvK is dumb schlock, but it fully embraces that, and it knows what its audience came there to see. If nothing else, it lives up to what its title promises. Also, for what it’s worth, it still has some touching moments between Kong and Jia that prevent it from being completely void of substance.

KotM is easily the most uneven and totally confused of these films. On one hand, it wants to be deep and poignant, at least by Hollywood blockbuster standards, but the stuff it tries to say are pretty basic and cliche. On the other hand, it also wants to be a love letter to the franchise as a whole, and is full of things that can be seen as fanservice. Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff rings pretty hollow for anyone who isn’t well-versed in the Godzilla franchise (which is the majority of mainstream audiences), and stuff like the Oxygen Destroyer just comes off as facepalm worthy. Also, the attempts at humor and levity come off as extremely forced, like they were afraid of getting hit with the same criticism as Zack Snyder’s DC movies.

KotM does have a great score, though, and I can tell that Michael Dougherty does truly love Godzilla, so that’s something, I suppose.
Last edited by Garzon on Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I have no issues with coming to grips and fully embracing the fact that I have become a full-on MonsterVerse fanboy.

G'14 started it off slow, and I can appreciate it. Never expected the MV to pull a full 180 and give us what we got now. K:SI was pretty solid and was the point I was really starting to want to see more. KoTM and GvK solidified it. As I said in both a PM and a copy of part of that PM in another topic, this is what I wanted for the franchise since I was a kid. Ever since seeing movies like Independence Day, Mars Attacks and Starship Troopers, I wanted to see Godzilla be given the huge, Hollywood spectacle. When G'98 failed to deliver, I was sure it'd never happen.

By the time the mid-2000s came around, I was craving it even more. Say what you will about Transformers, Star Trek and other pop culture icons rebooted by Hollywood, but they all got that huge spectacle and action heavy chaos that I wanted.

2014 was good, and I can easily enjoy it almost anytime I decide to watch it. But KoTM and GvK... They went far and beyond what I wanted and expected from a Hollywood Godzilla. I wanted big monsters go roar and fight, and they deliver in spades. I was never expecting movies that would change the world or be Oscar worthy for anything other than effects. It delivers that monstrous spectacle and destruction that the 7 or 8-year old in me wanted after seeing Independence Day.

The MonsterVerse is pure eye candy. Fun, loud and crazy. And I wouldn't change anything about it now.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

To summarize my take on this franchise the underwhelming delivery of the 2014 film left much to be desired but also allowed space for amazing sequels and ideas to follow that could easily raise the bar. Imo this never happened. If you watch the "Monsterverse" (a marketing term I've grown to despise) backwards its clear that continuity issues have took away from what was initially established in 2014.

To me each entry following 2014 was a step backward or possibly in no direction at all. Although Kong Skull Island was a decent entry in its own right I feel it should've never been made to set up a crossover film for the sake of creating a "cinematic universe". It was a huge missed opportunity to do something using the success of Shin Godzilla and somehow build a shared universe where there are 2 Godzilla's which would lead to a Legendary Godzilla vs Shin Godzilla.
Last edited by tenup on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

tenup wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:46 pm To summarize my take on this franchise the underwhelming delivery of the 2014 film left much to be desired but also allowed space for amazing sequels and ideas to follow that could easily raise the bar. Imo this never happened. If you watch the "Monsterverse" (a marketing term I've grown to despise) backwards its clear that continuity issues have took away from what was initially established in 2014.

To me each entry following 2014 was a step backward or possibly in no direction at all. Although Kong Skull Island was a decent entry in its own right I feel it should've never been made to set up a crossover film for the sake of creating a "cinematic universe". It was a huge missed opportunity to do something using the success of Shin Godzilla and somehow build a shared universe where there are 2 Godzilla's which would lead to a Legendary Godzilla vs Shin Godzilla.
:godzilla2021:

:shingodzillapurple:

:kingkong1962:

:godzilla2021blue: :KingGhidorah64: :Mothra61: :Rodan56:

:godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962: :Mechagodzilla74:

:kingkong1962: :godzilla2021blue: :mechanikong:

:godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962: :Destoroyah: :mechagodzilla1993: :mechanikong: :Anguirus: :KingCaesar: :Mothra61: :Rodan56:

:godzilla2021blue: :shingodzillapurple:
Last edited by Gojira1604 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Godzilla (2014) was a competent start. While the characters are somewhat lacking and the monster action wasn't handled all that well, it ushered in a new age for the Hollywood Godzilla. Love the panning over the cityscapes and how the monsters actually feel huge, this sense of scale slowly starts to fade as the series progresses, which is a shame.

Kong: Skull Island was a ton of fun, I find it really easy to just sit down and watch the movie at any point. Plenty of great moments and memorable characters, and it introduced a unique take on Kong that was a breath of fresh air.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters is a pretty fun film if you're able to sit back and enjoy the ride, but it's not for me.

Godzilla vs. Kong is similar, but I enjoyed this many times over GKOTM. Some of my favorite battles in the franchise to date, particularly the one out at sea between the two title monsters. Love the Hollow Earth and the introduction of Kong's battle axe, as well as the bond between Kong and Jia. Rewatched this numerous times when it became available on HBO Max.

Currently more interested in the upcoming TV show surrounding Monarch than the next movie, but both are still really early in development, so that's not saying all that much.
Last edited by GigaBowserG on Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Godzilla 2014:
Great film. Visually-appealing and some of the best CGI I've ever seen in certain places. I love the aesthetic and vibe that this movie brings. The best scenes are definitely the entire Hawaii sequence plus the climax. Godzilla's design is awesome and I really like the MUTOs. People need to get the fuck over Bryan Cranston dying prematurely, the boring human characters, and Godzilla's screen time. My main issues, I feel, lie with the soundtrack. The OST is fantastic in the first half of the film and really fits the mystery theme, but after the Hawaii sequence it seems to falter, but it subsequently picks up again during the climax. And also, the ending is really stupid, but not every movie is perfect. Overall a solid film that is pleasing to the eye.

Kong: Skull Island:
Solid movie. I really enjoy this one. I think the visual effects are fantastic, though the island has a lot of wasted potential. I feel like adding more unique creatures would've done the film many favors. The skullcrawlers are cool, but very generic and uninspired: would've liked more creativity than just giant two-limbed monitor lizards. Though the action sequences are fantastic, and Kong looks great. The characters are alright I suppose, better than G14 but nothing special. However, I loathe the OST in this film; it just does not fit or feel like it belongs in a kaiju film, and the over-use of 70s rock gets overbearing at times.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters:
Awesome fucking movie. This movie is ridiculously overhated it's not even funny. For one, it's visually-appealing; the visuals are fantastic and I really like the matte color aesthetic they went for, as it looks more regal. I liked the use of color in this film, as it added a uniqueness to it that is a stark contrast to other CGI-heavy films of this age, which frequently look generic as all hell. Godzilla is perfect in here, as is Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan. This movie treats its creatures with the respect they deserve, and I like that in an age where Marvel is shitting all over its beloved characters. The OST is great too. Sure, the human characters suck, and so do some of the jokes, but nobody ever complains about shitty humor in Marvel movies so...

Godzilla vs Kong:
Definitely my least favorite in the franchise so far. An enjoyable movie, however. Visually, it looks great, and the two title characters are treated with respect. The fight in Hong Kong between Godzilla and Kong is the best in the Monsterverse by far, and one of the coolest fights I've seen in a film ever. I prefer the more serious vibes of G14 and KotM, and the neon aesthetic in this movie is not my favorite. But it's still a very cool film. Not amazing, but a fun ride. The opening credits sequence is awesome as hell too
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated