Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by eabaker »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:43 pm To agree with miguelnova, scenes where Godzilla himself acts are so powerful. More of those couldn't hurt. Leaning more into Godzilla the character can strengthen these movies.
Part of why those scenes are so impactful, though, is because they're so rare. If they became significantly more frequent, it would potentially detract from rather than add to Godzilla's character.

For the most part, Godzilla functions according to the Kuleshov effect: he is essentially a blank slate onto which the audience can project their own responses.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

eabaker wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:12 pm
Part of why those scenes are so impactful, though, is because they're so rare. If they became significantly more frequent, it would potentially detract from rather than add to Godzilla's character.

For the most part, Godzilla functions according to the Kuleshov effect: he is essentially a blank slate onto which the audience can project their own responses.
That is a good point, in moderation it should be handled. However, I do believe Godzilla could function as his own character. We see bits of that within the MV already and in the past (especially the most expressive eras like Showa). I think that approach could favor the MV since they aren't so interested in Shin Godzilla/1954 type commentary. It does not need to be extreme or necessarily deep, but I like when the kaiju get character moments, so I will admit bias for this kind of approach.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I can’t imagine the MonsterVerse Godzilla interacting with humans in any meaningful way like Kong does. He generally comes across as pretty ambivalent and stoic. Not really someone seeking companionship.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

MV's Godzilla does not seem like a character to me. So when people go on about all the ways future movies could flesh him out I just think, "Really....?"

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Garzon wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:42 pm I can’t imagine the MonsterVerse Godzilla interacting with humans in any meaningful way like Kong does. He generally comes across as pretty ambivalent and stoic. Not really someone seeking companionship.
Yeah, and he wouldn't need to. Most he could get would be like Serizawa's scene in KOTM or with Ford in G14, those silent and temporary connections with humanity. His character moments would mostly come with other kaiju and how humans muck things up. I enjoy the moments like his reactions and his interactions with Mothra and Ghidorah, I think those give neat insights into his characterization where he's otherwise the stoic natural guardian.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:44 pm MV's Godzilla does not seem like a character to me. So when people go on about all the ways future movies could flesh him out I just think, "Really....?"
I doubt see how you came to that conclusion. He has a feeling glance with Ford in 2014, kotm has him look at Serisawa and later observed the humans on the sub and finally the bowing scene.

Then he has several emotions when he interacts with Kong.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Godzilla merely LOOKING at human characters doesn't really flesh him out as a character.

And which emotions exactly did he show whole fighting Kong? I didn't really see anything that made me feel like Godzilla was truly a CHARACTER and not some thing fighting Kong, the monster with an actual personality.

I feel like people really want this Godzilla to be something more than it is. He's entertaining enough I guess, but there's not really much to him personality-wise.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I think in G 2014 he does come across as a tired old warrior. He has a few moments where he sighs, looks exhausted/frustrated. Moments of anger as well. Not full blown character stuff but between those moments and his glee at causing Kong to suffer that’s more character work than Godzilla has gotten in the last 30 years outside of mourning Jr’s death in Destroyer.

I’m not entirely sure going the Showa route would be anything but goofy these days. It would be akin to bringing back the Adam West Batman into a modern film that was trying to be serious. (Ok, that does sound kind of awesome).

I do think they can and should push the envelope more with this Godzilla emoting but it’s a fine line. I don’t expect them do anything drastic but we may get a character moment here or there yet.
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The thing is, when people say stuff like "Godzilla and Kong put their differences aside and fight together" I can't think of anything OTHER than Showa, because that's the only series where Godzilla actually did that kind of thing.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

That’s what I’m saying. Credit where it’s due this series tried to find the balance between Heisei force of nature AND the more personality based character of the Showa era.

I don’t feel like they’ve fully cracked the code yet but they’ve done better than most

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I would say that KotM is the closest these films have come to fleshing Godzilla out as a character and the way he perceives humans. Even then though, a lot of it is told rather than shown, like when the end credits montage suggests that he’s keeping the other Titans away from human settlements, presumably as an act of gratitude to Serizawa.

I guess GvK also suggests that Godzilla might have a bit of a sadistic side to him, so there’s also that. Still, Kong is definitely more of an actual character, especially now that he actually has a way of communicating with humans. I think that’s largely why King Kong in general seems to connect more with mainstream audiences compared to Godzilla.
Last edited by Garzon on Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:32 pm Godzilla merely LOOKING at human characters doesn't really flesh him out as a character.

And which emotions exactly did he show whole fighting Kong? I didn't really see anything that made me feel like Godzilla was truly a CHARACTER and not some thing fighting Kong, the monster with an actual personality.

I feel like people really want this Godzilla to be something more than it is. He's entertaining enough I guess, but there's not really much to him personality-wise.
You do know one of the biggest criticisms GvK gets alot from the fandom is Godzilla flat out laughing at Kong after he shot him in the back during their fight? They zoom in on Godzilla's creepy smiling face and everything. Thats a full on display of emotion such as pleasure and a hint of arrogance since he doesn't take Kong seriously.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

darthzilla99 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:35 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:32 pm Godzilla merely LOOKING at human characters doesn't really flesh him out as a character.

You do know one of the biggest criticisms GvK gets alot from the fandom is Godzilla flat out laughing at Kong after he shot him in the back during their fight? They zoom in on Godzilla's creepy smiling face and everything. Thats a full on display of emotion such as pleasure and a hint of arrogance since he doesn't take Kong seriously.
You know, I've seen this as a meme, but the two times I've watched the movie, I've zoned out so hard during that fight that I've never actually noticed the shot in situ.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla acknowledging humans shows he's not mindless like Shin Godzilla. The scene where he looks at monarch after his rebirth is one moment. Also there is the communication scene.

During the bowing scene we see he knows and expects other Titans to acknowledge him.

In Godzilla vs Kong he gives Kong a stay down look as he only leaves when the ships power down and Kong looks back at him defeated.

Layer in Hong Kong he laughs when he hits Kong with his atic breath, and later he puts his foot on Kong's chest to force him to submit.

Godzilla doesn't show human characteristics like Kong or showa Godzilla did but he's show to be a highly intelligent animal in the series.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

Don't know why Toho was against Godzilla showing emotions in GVK.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Sammy19 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:42 am

Look at Shin, they feel he's the gold standard for Godzilla now and Earth and Ultma followed.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:09 am Look at Shin, they feel he's the gold standard for Godzilla now and Earth and Ultma followed.
So much so that one barely did anything in three films and The other one is copy and paste. I would’ve been OK if Shin would’ve be The only one that doesn’t have emotions and it makes sense for his character since he’s like a actual zombie, but now he’s not so special since Toho copy and paste this formula on other Godzilla. Godzilla doesn’t have to be this emotionless force of nature, he can be something more than that, he can be a character with emotions and depth.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:09 am
Sammy19 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:42 am

Look at Shin, they feel he's the gold standard for Godzilla now and Earth and Ultma followed.
yeah and among the fanbase, emotionless Godzilla is starting to get old and is deteriorating what made shin special from other Godzilla's

Added in 4 minutes 34 seconds:

actually from what I;ve seen outside of these forums Godzilla laughing was a major highlight of the fight

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Millie Bobby Brown is a good actress. It all comes down to how she’s written. Give her something great and she’ll be fine. You can tell the difference pretty easily from her other shows/movies
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Cookson wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:00 pm Millie Bobby Brown is a good actress. It all comes down to how she’s written. Give her something great and she’ll be fine. You can tell the difference pretty easily from her other shows/movies
And even though Madison was a little obnoxious in GvK, it was a pretty generic character trait anyway that Madison still has a clean slate to write with in a future film. The only trait you have to keep is that she is a Godzilla advocate. She can still be written to be likeable and have her delve into Godzilla's backstory and characterisation more. She's very flexible at this point.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.