Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by dillonking55 »

Happy to hear it! Not too surprised given 2024 will be Godzilla's 70th anniversary & I'm sure Toho/Legendary want to capitalize on that.

Plus, another Godzilla/Kong double bill is financially more viable than just doing another solo for either monster.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Remember the comments that said we Godzilla fans were told that we should accept that Godzilla won't be in this film, got shoved down our throats that Kong solo is the likely route and that we worship Godzilla too much, or anytime that the mere idea of Godzilla being tied to Kong's story is somehow disrespectful of Kong?

Those comments aged well.

Anyways, I'm excited about this news. I think having a collaboration of both Kong and Godzilla allows interesting character arc potential of both kaiju. Granted, the film may still focus more on Kong with Godzilla being a cameo, but still exciting nonetheless.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:28 am Remember the comments that said we Godzilla fans were told that we should accept that Godzilla won't be in this film, got shoved down our throats that Kong solo is the likely route and that we worship Godzilla too much, or anytime that the mere idea of Godzilla being tied to Kong's story is somehow disrespectful of Kong?

Those comments aged well
This is FAR more obnoxious than anything your comment is referring to.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Fantastic news!
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Well now, this makes things VERY interesting. Instead of being a versus film, I wonder if it'll be something akin to "Godzilla & Kong". Crossing my fingers hardcore for Gigan and Megalon, along with MV Anguirus and return of Rodan.

This really just lifted my spirits in general. Something to look forward to with Godzilla again.

/fanboying

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't expect Anguirus to show up in the Monsterverse just because he won't be interesting enough to the GA to be worth the licensing fee, but there's always the chance he could turn up in the mystery Toho film that's coming. I kind of have a feeling he might, actually. If this thing is a Godzilla movie, and of course it is, it'll be Toho's second live action movie of the new era, so historical precedents and all. And SP obviously shows a renewed interest in Anguirus and other Showa kaiju, strengthening the possibility.

OT: I think Godzilla's role in this new MV movie will be limited, likely flashbacks and cameos, but I guess we'll find out. It'll be great to see him again, anyway!
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

If that TOHO kaiju film really is Godzilla then we're looking a great 70th anniversary

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

I can see it going two ways:

A) Godzilla and Kong dealing with a threat

B) Godzilla only having a small scene that moves the plot forward.

Added in 3 minutes 10 seconds:
dillonking55 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:40 am
Happy to hear it! Not too surprised given 2024 will be Godzilla's 70th anniversary & I'm sure Toho/Legendary want to capitalize on that.

Plus, another Godzilla/Kong double bill is financially more viable than just doing another solo for either monster.
Would be interesting to see how Godzilla moves in the Hollow Earth with Kong.

Added in 3 minutes 9 seconds:
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:35 am Well now, this makes things VERY interesting. Instead of being a versus film, I wonder if it'll be something akin to "Godzilla & Kong". Crossing my fingers hardcore for Gigan and Megalon, along with MV Anguirus and return of Rodan.

This really just lifted my spirits in general. Something to look forward to with Godzilla again.

/fanboying
Kong holds Megalon and Godzilla just dropkicks him.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Sammy19 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:15 am
B) Godzilla only having a small scene that moves the plot forward.
Yeah... I can also see this being a thing given all the talk/rumors of a Son of Kong. It would be a hell of a thing if Godzilla takes on an antagonistic role again if he IS a primary focus, this time without unknown factors at play. What if there *IS* another of Kong's type on the surface and its attracting Godzilla's wrath and on a constant flee/fight for refusing to bend the knee, and the human characters (Mia especially) get Kong involved to save/adopt the young Titan.

Also, I want Madison onboard the MonsterVerse's version of the Calico, complete with an Orca tech Godzilla signaler.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Well at least we know Godzilla isn't out of the MV. The leak for awhile back about this being Destroy all Monsters is very intreasting to me now.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:00 pm Well at least we know Godzilla isn't out of the MV. The leak for awhile back about this being Destroy all Monsters is very intreasting to me now.
It would kinda explain the secrecy of the film's title if it was DAM tbh.

If it was just another Kong or Godzilla solo film, I imagine they would have just announced it by now.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:43 am
darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:28 am Remember the comments that said we Godzilla fans were told that we should accept that Godzilla won't be in this film, got shoved down our throats that Kong solo is the likely route and that we worship Godzilla too much, or anytime that the mere idea of Godzilla being tied to Kong's story is somehow disrespectful of Kong?

Those comments aged well
This is FAR more obnoxious than anything your comment is referring to.
I strongly disagree. In general The pre-game know-it-alls with the "this can't happen and that won't happen just get over it" mentality are always so rude and dismissive and then never want to eat crow when they are dead wrong.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:00 pm Well at least we know Godzilla isn't out of the MV. The leak for awhile back about this being Destroy all Monsters is very intreasting to me now.
Got a link for that leak? Seems interesting.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

But like I said. After the hype of Godzilla vs Kong, bringing back the GvK director, calling it a GvK sequel, and it coming foe Godzilla's 70th was a likely reason to expect....at minimum at least a cameo or sequence with Godzilla. That's the bottom end.

On the high end, how do you go bigger and more hyped up than Godzilla vs Kong. How do you keep that easy-sell marketing magic going and ride the wave of increasing scope and scale of giant monster spectacle?

My theory still: Destroy All Monsters

I am of the opinion that te Monsterverse doesn't have time to do 2 or 3 films a year and slowly build up to 10 film arcs. Every film is a game changer and taking it to the next level. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:39 pm But like I said. After the hype of Godzilla vs Kong, bringing back the GvK director, calling it a GvK sequel, and it coming foe Godzilla's 70th was a likely reason to expect....at minimum at least a cameo or sequence with Godzilla. That's the bottom end.

On the high end, how do you go bigger and more hyped up than Godzilla vs Kong. How do you keep that easy-sell marketing magic going and ride the wave of increasing scope and scale of giant monster spectacle?

I am of the opinion that te Monsterverse doesn't have time to do 2 or 3 films a year and slowly build up to 10 film arcs. Every film is a game changer and taking it to the next level. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.
If it makes you feel any better, I hope you are correct. Who'd you pick to be the big bad?

Quote of the Year:

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Glad to see that The G-man himself isn’t out the picture

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I feel like KotM already more or less already did the Destroy All Monsters premise, just without the humanoid aliens.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Sammy19 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:34 pm
Got a link for that leak? Seems interesting.
https://preview.redd.it/cdan69u7yoy51.p ... a940b8022e

This was apprantly leaked and removed in 2017.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:48 pm
Chrispy_G wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:39 pm But like I said. After the hype of Godzilla vs Kong, bringing back the GvK director, calling it a GvK sequel, and it coming foe Godzilla's 70th was a likely reason to expect....at minimum at least a cameo or sequence with Godzilla. That's the bottom end.

If it makes you feel any better, I hope you are correct. Who'd you pick to be the big bad?
I think they wouldn't go Ghidorah again, so my personal pick right now would be Destoroyah. Or finally give Bagan a canonized debut...but that is probably too much of a deep cut. Heck even an original monster named "Baygon" would be enough up the alley to satisfy my itch.

Added in 40 minutes 2 seconds:
I'm salivating at Kong, axe in hand, and Godzilla leading a small army of known Kaiju against a swarm of Destoroyah forms. Then having huge Destoroyah as the big smackdown.