Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:11 amI think its unavoidable to see them trade a few blows once more. But I don't think it'll be enough to carry the whole film again. More akin to Godzilla bullying Kong around until realizing there's a reason Kong is out of his territory again. Could see Godzilla whooping his ass, Kong getting a good hit in again (like the ax hit) and then managing to communicate with Godzilla as he recovers, instead of trying to prolong the fight like he did in Hong Kong after downing Godzilla.

So yeah, I expect maybe a few minute rumble between them followed by an actual team up storyline. Just not sure how that could also carry a whole film without them actually able to "talk" to one another. I still like the idea of the humans having to get Godzilla to save Kong and the Hollow Earth from a legit threat that has appeared, be it Titan or man-made again.
If this is the case, I wouldn't expect it to be the next movie tbh. More likely a solo Kong film.

I could see this being the next one after said Kong solo film. It makes sense too because Kong is more of the star attraction to general audiences than Godzilla is.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:02 am Are we fairly certain this is gonna actually be a "Godzilla vs. Kong" sequel where they might fight again?

I'm feeling its more of just a placeholder title and if more then anything a Kong sequel.
It's a sequel to the movie. That's it. It doesn't mean Godzilla and Kong will both be in it.

Its not like each Heisei series sequel featured the same monsters over and over again.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I don't know if I want a re-match or ever...but I do love the image of Godzilla getting thrown off by that odd reverse/anti-gravity field and Kong using that to his advantage.
Certainly want something more Kong focused for sure.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla is not going to fight Kong again unless Kong has a heel turn or the writers just say fuck it and start writing film to film. GvsK's ending was clearly the end of their feud unless something new sparks it on Kong's end.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

A simple misunderstanding or 'wrong place, wrong time' situation could potentially set them off again. GvK showed very clearly that Godzilla is willing to kill everything in his path if he's mad enough, so if Kong gets in his way when he's focused on some other target, that could result in at least a small skirmish before they calm down.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I just think it sounds boring.

Solo Kong movie or some sort of DAM styled team up sound infinitely better to me

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Agreed. A Kong solo film would be the best bet for the sequel right now, both in regards to his current popularity and evening out the solo film ratio for both him and Goji to 2:2. Plus it's the best opportunity to truly explore the Hollow Earth and it's history to the core (no pun intended lol). I wouldn't mind Godzilla appearing for a brief moment or being mentioned but imo it isn't a top priority and can be saved for a tie in story or a hypothetical Godzilla-centered film in the future.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun May 22, 2022 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

^And plus, Kong is the only thing keeping the Monsterverse alive right now since audiences like Kong wayyyyyyy better. So Godzilla should be phased out as the face of the Monsterverse

/s
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Honestly it's not as much as needing to be phased out and moreso give him some breathing room storyline wise, given how bombastic both of his roles in KOTM and GvK were. Switching the focus on him to TV format for now while the next big movie is around Kong is a great way to do it.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Am I the only one who thinks another fight between Kong and Godzilla would be unnecessary?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Nah I'm completely with you on this, and seems like most are too. It just doesn't feel justified or necessary narrative wise and imo isn't as interesting as further exploring them understanding each other through an uneasy alliance. Besides maybe a "friendly" match up to test each other's skills I see no real need for a full on rematch.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun May 22, 2022 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:58 am Am I the only one who thinks another fight between Kong and Godzilla would be unnecessary?
Here's what I think...

The reason some people are hoping Kong and Godzilla will both star in the next film (as unlikely as that is) is that it's the one (probably only) scenario that results in Godzilla appearing in the movie. There are plenty of people here who have said they're not interested in the film if Godzilla isn't in it.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:35 am
SonOfGorgo wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:58 am Am I the only one who thinks another fight between Kong and Godzilla would be unnecessary?
Here's what I think...

The reason some people are hoping Kong and Godzilla will both star in the next film (as unlikely as that is) is that it's the one (probably only) scenario that results in Godzilla appearing in the movie. There are plenty of people here who have said they're not interested in the film if Godzilla isn't in it.

While I think the next film is going to be a solo Kong film, Godzilla isn't going away from the monsterverse. I actually think Godzilla will be in a post credit scene to advertise interest (and no, one solo Godzilla film underperforming is not strong evidence.)
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

The explanation for their beef in GvK already came across as a little iffy. Having them fight again would just be forced as hell, not to mention redundant.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Personally, I'm on board for pretty much anything. Solo Kong movie, solo Godzilla movie, Godzilla and Kong fighting again, or not, or teaming up against something, I'd be all for a solo Mothra movie or something else that won't happen. Doesn't matter. GvK torpedoed my investment in the overall story and world, so at this point I don't care what happens, and I'm just here to watch big monsters fight. Just entertain me, is all I ask of the Monsterverse now. So I'm GA, basically, just with a little bit of bitterness thrown in.

I just think we need to brace ourselves for lazy, money-grubbing studios to retread financially proven territory, is all.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sun May 22, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I think it's time to pay off the horde of titans introduced in KotM. Kong and Godzilla have to reluctantly team up and unite the titans to battle some crazy new threat.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:11 am
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:02 am Are we fairly certain this is gonna actually be a "Godzilla vs. Kong" sequel where they might fight again?

I'm feeling its more of just a placeholder title and if more then anything a Kong sequel.
I think its unavoidable to see them trade a few blows once more. But I don't think it'll be enough to carry the whole film again. More akin to Godzilla bullying Kong around until realizing there's a reason Kong is out of his territory again. Could see Godzilla whooping his ass, Kong getting a good hit in again (like the ax hit) and then managing to communicate with Godzilla as he recovers, instead of trying to prolong the fight like he did in Hong Kong after downing Godzilla.

So yeah, I expect maybe a few minute rumble between them followed by an actual team up storyline. Just not sure how that could also carry a whole film without them actually able to "talk" to one another. I still like the idea of the humans having to get Godzilla to save Kong and the Hollow Earth from a legit threat that has appeared, be it Titan or man-made again.
Ehh, seeing them fight a second time wouldn't have much of an impact like in GVK imo.

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

I don't want another Kong Vs. Godzilla fight because we already got it and their issue was resolved.

Its like in the Showa Series. Godzilla started off fighting Anguirus, Mothra, and Rodan, but once they became his allies, the idea of him fighting any of them again felt wrong to me (the ending scuffle between him and Mothra in Ebirah Horror of the Deep never sat right with me).

Having them fight again would feel like a regression. Yes yes, I know they are animals and not traditional characters, but it still wouldn't ring quite right for me.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:13 pm Godzilla is not going to fight Kong again unless Kong has a heel turn or the writers just say skreeonk it and start writing film to film. GvsK's ending was clearly the end of their feud unless something new sparks it on Kong's end.
Speaking of writing film to film, get ready for Godzilla to have ANOTHER ancient rivalry.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Oh boy I really hope not. Insanely played out at this point.