Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by Legion1979 »

I wonder how many more times people are going to have to explain that G14 did well because it had been 16 years since G98 came out and people were curious about what another new US take of Godzilla would be like. They got their fill and moved on. It's a similar reason to why Godzilla vs Kong did well, the curiously factor and the hype surrounding those two monsters fighting for the first time in almost 60 years.

But KOTM. There was no hype. General audiences don't care much about Ghidorah, Mothra or Rodan. They don't really care much about Godzilla as a character. To a lot of people, KOTM must have just looked like the stereotypical Godzilla movie, and they were disinstered in that.

KONG (capitalized for emphasis), the curiosity factor and perfect timing made Godzilla vs Kong successful. Future MV success isn't going to depend on Godzilla, and definitely not on solo Godzilla films.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun May 15, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:52 am I wonder how many more times people are going to have to explain that G14 did well because it had been 16 years since G98 came out and people were curious about what another new US take of Godzilla would be like. They got their fill and moved on. It's a similar reason to why Godzilla vs Kong did well, the curiously factor and the hype surrounding those two monsters fighting for the first time in almost 60 years.

But KOTM. There was no hype. General audiences don't care much about Ghidorah, Mothra or Rodan. They don't really care much about Godzilla as a character. To a lot of people, KOTM must have just looked like the stereotypical Godzilla movie, and they were disinstered in that.

KONG (capitalized for emphasis), the curiosity factor and perfect timing made Godzilla vs Kong successful. Future MV success isn't going to depend on Godzilla, and definitely not on solo Godzilla films.

Yet somehow power rangers 2017 had similar hype and curiosity as Godzilla 2014, made less than half of KOTM, and companies are still interested in making another power rangers movie. 🤔
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

The Kong skull island show could come out this year

Take this as a grain of salt, since this is DangerVille we’re talking about
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun May 15, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:52 am I wonder how many more times people are going to have to explain that G14 did well because it had been 16 years since G98 came out and people were curious about what another new US take of Godzilla would be like. They got their fill and moved on. It's a similar reason to why Godzilla vs Kong did well, the curiously factor and the hype surrounding those two monsters fighting for the first time in almost 60 years.

Weren't you one of the ones who swore up and down a new Godzilla vs King Kong film would NEVER happen and that anyone who thought otherwise was an idiot?

This argument is so freaking stupid because it's the same back and forth nonsense every damn time with the same portion of the fan base who seem to be against the idea of the franchise growing and expanding and bringing in new fans so they tear it down any chance they get. It's no different than OT Star Wars fans. I don't care if you like any of the new Godzilla stuff from America or Japan or not but if you're ONLY argument against new Godzilla content is the BO under performance of ONE movie then sorry but you don't have much of a leg to stand on. Also look around...media content is changing and has been changing for the last few years. COVID just sped things up. BO isn't the only indicator of a movie's success nowadays.

What keeps a franchise healthy and going is putting out new content be it movies, tv shows, merchandise, theme park rides, video games etc which is what we are seeing the franchise do now. The BO of one movie doesn't make or break any of that at all.

Obsessing over the BO of a movie from 3 years ago is silly and frankly irrelevant.
Last edited by Titanus_Rodan on Sun May 15, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:07 am

Yet somehow power rangers 2017 had similar hype and curiosity as Godzilla 2014, made less than half of KOTM, and companies are still interested in making another power rangers movie. 🤔
Power Rangers has a rabidly nostalgic fanbase of "my childhood!!" millennials than Godzilla could bever hope to have. Were you alive when MMPR was brand new?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:00 pm
darthzilla99 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:07 am

Power Rangers has a rabidly nostalgic fanbase of "my childhood!!" millennials than Godzilla could bever hope to have. Were you alive when MMPR was brand new?
I'm one of those and I ask again: Why did the 2017 movie make less than half of KOTM's box office? It had way more going for it such as Bryan Cranston (added further nostalgia from the fact that he voiced some of the Monsters in the show), Elizabeth Banks, cameos by the original pink and green rangers, Nolstalgia for MMPR, first power rangers movie in 20 years, and popularity of super hero movies.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:00 pm Power Rangers has a rabidly nostalgic fanbase of "my childhood!!" millennials than Godzilla could bever hope to have. Were you alive when MMPR was brand new?
That "nostalgic fanbase" got Power Rangers a $142.5 million worldwide TOTAL

KOTM did that opening weekend.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:23 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:00 pm Power Rangers has a rabidly nostalgic fanbase of "my childhood!!" millennials than Godzilla could bever hope to have. Were you alive when MMPR was brand new?
That "nostalgic fanbase" got Power Rangers a $142.5 million worldwide TOTAL

KOTM did that opening weekend.
Probably because either

A) Old Fans don’t wanna see their “childhood” ruined.

Or

B) It was a ploy by some faction in the PR community to make another look bad. (Conspiracy)
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'm not worried until a Godzilla 3 comes out and that bombs. The GA is not us, for all we know Godzilla vs Megagurus in the MV could make 600m for all we know.

Just because Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra are popular with us and in Japan doesn't mean another monster wouldn't get over in the MV with the GA.

At the end of the day Kotm still make over double its budget and Legendary thought it was good enough to keep the franchise going with some tweeks.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:02 pm I'm not worried until a Godzilla 3 comes out and that bombs. The GA is not us, for all we know Godzilla vs Megagurus in the MV could make 600m for all we know.

Just because Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra are popular with us and in Japan doesn't mean another monster wouldn't get over in the MV with the GA.

At the end of the day Kotm still make over double its budget and Legendary thought it was good enough to keep the franchise going with some tweeks.
It all really comes down to execution and marketing. If they can make a really good film, and market it really well, it can make money. Even if they were to use a monster Gabara for example.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:02 pm I'm not worried until a Godzilla 3 comes out and that bombs. The GA is not us, for all we know Godzilla vs Megagurus in the MV could make 600m for all we know.

Since Legendary is working on another Kong film, I wonder what Toho's been up to with Godzilla. I wouldn't mind another movie on the level of Shin.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

[quote=Titanus_Rodan post_id=1884806

What keeps a franchise healthy and going is putting out new content be it movies, tv shows, merchandise, theme park rides, video games etc which is what we are seeing the franchise do now. The BO of one movie doesn't make or break any of that at all.

[/quote]

It's interesting that you brought up merchandise. Companies still make and actively pursue merchandise of the main KOTM (King Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan) kaiju along with Mechagodzilla. Even though Godzilla 2014 was the bigger hit, the mutos don't get near as much merchandise made, either during G2014 run or today. That to me says KOTM is still lucrative on the merchandise side of things, so I would not rule out another appearance by the KOTM kaiju. Maybe Mothra or Rodan might make an appearance in the next Kong movie.

To give another example, James Gunn's The Suicide Squad bombed despite good reviews. Yet peacemaker got his own hit spinoff streaming show (granted John Cena has some draw but still).

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:05 pm https://twitter.com/thekaijuologist/sta ... IkrYg&s=19

Passing this on.
Assuming this is legitimate, "Son of Kong" and "Origins" are interesting working titles/added info. I guess there is a lot more information to provide backstory to why Godzilla and Kong hate each other so much. There's a little hinting in the graphic novels but nothing substantial.

Although I think this is fine, as it appears to be very public information, I guess we have to state once again not to post leaks when they probably happen.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed May 18, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:28 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:05 pm https://twitter.com/thekaijuologist/sta ... IkrYg&s=19

Passing this on.
Assuming this is legitimate, "Son of Kong" and "Origins" are interesting working titles/added info. I guess there is a lot more information to provide backstory to why Godzilla and Kong hate each other so much. There's a little hinting in the graphic novels but nothing substantial.

Although I think this is fine, as it appears to be very public information, I guess we have to it once again not to post leaks when they probably happen.
Sorry about that. Was excited to pass it along I forgot it could be considered a leak especially as it wasn't a picture/set leak.

I'll be more careful in the future.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Good news! Excited to see what they can come up with to add to the story line. Although I wish this series could be taken in a darker direction, I think the tone of the series is unlikely to change at this point. Doesn't appear they are done with Godzilla as a character in the MV.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:07 pm Good news! Excited to see what they can come up with to add to the story line. Although I wish this series could be taken in a darker direction, I think the tone of the series is unlikely to change at this point. Doesn't appear they are done with Godzilla as a character in the MV.
No reason to be done with him. He’s far more interesting than Kong, as well as many of the ideas that people ‘round these parts have for the Monsterverse going forward

The moment Godzilla leaves this franchise is the moment I begin to lose interest

Also, hoping that this synopsis is legit. I want more Godzilla. A Son of Kong movie by itself doesn’t intrigue me
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:23 am No reason to be done with him. He’s far more interesting than Kong, as well as many of the ideas that people ‘round these parts have for the Monsterverse going forward

The moment Godzilla leaves this franchise is the moment I begin to lose interest
While I agree that he shouldn’t be taken out of the MV yet, as well as having him leave would lose public interest, I think we probably should be open to a MonsterVerse without Godzilla. After all, it’s the MonsterVerse, not the GodzillaVerse.
For Emperor and Empire!

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

Voyager wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:19 am
Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:23 am No reason to be done with him. He’s far more interesting than Kong, as well as many of the ideas that people ‘round these parts have for the Monsterverse going forward

While I agree that he shouldn’t be taken out of the MV yet, as well as having him leave would lose public interest, I think we probably should be open to a MonsterVerse without Godzilla. After all, it’s the MonsterVerse, not the GodzillaVerse.
Agreed. Plus, since Kong doesn't have 30+ movies of lore and character interpretations behind him, a lot of crazy stuff can be done with him.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

It would be interesting if it's a prequel or it does have a lot of background fluff. Maybe in the Hollow Earth there is still a tribe of evil Kings or maybe the blue flying Godzilla is out there.