Your fears regarding the Apple TV series

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LegendZilla
Sazer

Your fears regarding the Apple TV series

Post by LegendZilla »

I have done multiple threads like this in the past regarding every upcoming Godzilla project, so I'm assuming you get the overall gist. Anyways, do you have any reasons as to why you think we should be skeptical about the upcoming Godzilla series on Apple TV+? I admit the fact that one of the two men spearheading the show, namely Chris Black having worked on both Mad Men and Star Trek Enterprise gives me hope. However, The other guy who's credits include both Iron Man 2 and Hawkeye on Disney+ is enough for me to have a concern or two.

My biggest fear is that it will once again botch it over in the human department, with uninteresting and/or unlikeable characters, along with lame jokes at inappropriate times. The fact that this is a Monsterverse-based entry alone gives it a 50/50 chance of being another polarizing entry or flat-out disappointment. What concerns do you have about this forthcoming production? Feedback will be much appreciated as always.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Your fears regarding the Apple TV series

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I fear that the show is going to be boring. Say whatever you want about KotM or GvK, but we can all agree that it wasn’t boring unlike most of reiwa era except for Shin Godzilla and some episodes of Singular Point. Yes I can admit that the stories we have recently with the human in the Monsterverse weren’t the best I can admit that but we didn’t come in for the human story no we came in for the monster action. And even then you can still have great action and have a compelling story. If they don’t show a lot of monster action and the story isn’t great then it’ll be boring for me.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Another fear I have is that whatever original monsters show up in the show won’t be particularly memorable. There isn’t much memorable about the MUTOs for me to be honest.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

My biggest fear is that not enough people sign up to Apple TV to give it a watch for Apple's algorithms to label it a success.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

That they screw up on the human characters like half of the MV already has.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

It’s going to be more of the same failures as the movies. Not memorable monsters, boring characters, unfunny jokes, etc.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

My biggest concern is that it won't feel like Godzilla media. More specifically, that it will feel like the studio took some other sci-fi drama script they had laying around, and made some slight modifications to turn it into a Monsterverse Godzilla show, to get more attention.

Side note: It's really absurd that the Monsterverse films, the Kong show, and this Godzilla show are split up between no less than three different subscription services.
Last edited by Cosbydaf on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

My only fear is that I'm going to end up debating somone if I end up liking this show and they end up hating it.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

That people are going be complaining about what service it's on incessantly.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

No physical release. If you're familiar with the content on Apple TV+ then you've probably heard of the animated film Wolfwalkers, which was released in 2020. It's one of my new favorite films of all time, but it only just got a physical release now, and only as a limited edition box set packaged with two other films. It's said to be the only physical release that Wolfwalkers will get.

I love that film, but to know that physical releases on streaming services like Apple TV+ might be so rare (or worse, not happen at all) makes me terrified for the future of media preservation in general. Apple TV+ isn't the only pain in the ass when it comes to this (where the hell is my Clone Wars Season 7, Disney Plus?), but the recent Wolfwalkers debacle has me worried about the new Monsterverse series.

Hell, I don't even like the Netflix Anime Trilogy. I hate it, actually. And I STILL want that one to eventually be given a physical release.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

I'm worried about Chris Black. He was only on Enterprise for its first 3 seasons. The first two seasons were honestly really not good, although they had some good episodes. Season 3 was polarizing; I liked it but lots of people didn't. Season 4 is a very well received season, which from what I can tell he wasn't involved in. I'm definitely a little apprehensive about that.
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

One concern of mine would be its budget, normally TV show budgets may tend to be generally lower than that of big theatrical blockbuster movies. With such limitations, I worry that either the Titans wouldn't get as much screentime, or wouldn't look as good.

It's similar to why I don't see a "live-action Transformers TV show" ever working, unless they're really creative with it.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

^^^
Yeah, if the monsters don't look that good or not show up that much, than this show is in trouble. Even if that is the case, I can only hope the human side of the story is REALLY good.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Personally I'm not expecting a lot of Titans to be shown if we get one or two battle sprinkled in a good mystery story I can expect it. Across a a 5 hour series Godzilla could maybe fight 3 Titans if the story is good enough, Godzilla doesn't even have to show up till Episode 3. We could also get unused scenes from G14 added in here.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

That it’s bad.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:07 pm That they screw up on the human characters like half of the MV already has.
Considering the leaked characters being extremely cliche, I'm even more scared.

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:57 pm I fear that the show is going to be boring. Say whatever you want about KotM or GvK, but we can all agree that it wasn’t boring unlike most of reiwa era except for Shin Godzilla and some episodes of Singular Point. Yes I can admit that the stories we have recently with the human in the Monsterverse weren’t the best I can admit that but we didn’t come in for the human story no we came in for the monster action. And even then you can still have great action and have a compelling story. If they don’t show a lot of monster action and the story isn’t great then it’ll be boring for me.
Same. To be frank, I'm not the least bit interested in yet another new family popping up, the timeline makes it even less interesting. This sort of new family in their stories taking place between 2014 and 2019? That's before Ghidorah shows up before Khan fights Godzilla, before the world is overrun.

The monster verse has been incredibly weak in the human heart, and without a fence to whoever the cast, the show is going to need a decent size to name to keep people interested.

It's going to need Godzilla as well
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343