The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Let's be real. More likely than not we'll probably get 2-3 movies left at best.

Think that would also be for the better too as I'd rather the MonsterVerse end on a closure rather then one of the movies bombing or underperformance and being left at a discontinuation.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:00 pm Let's be real. More likely than not we'll probably get 2-3 movies left at best.

Think that would also be for the better too as I'd rather the MonsterVerse end on a closure rather then one of the movies bombing or underperformance and being left at a discontinuation.
We'll never end on a cliffhanger. Kotm was the most open ended film and even that could have be a finale film the way it ends.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:31 pmWe'll never end on a cliffhanger. Kotm was the most open ended film and even that could have be a finale film the way it ends.
But if there's a post-credits as King of the Monsters had.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:33 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:31 pmWe'll never end on a cliffhanger. Kotm was the most open ended film and even that could have be a finale film the way it ends.
But if there's a post-credits as King of the Monsters had.
Kotm had that because Godzilla vs Kong was filmed already.

Added in 7 minutes 48 seconds:
https://youtu.be/dQzVEfa7wmM

This is a nice video breaking down the future of the Monsterverse as well as kotm's box office. It's mostly news not speculation.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:55 pmKotm had that because Godzilla vs Kong was filmed already.
And Godzilla vs. Kong was originally to my knowledge going to have a post-credits involving some kind of contact with extraterrestrial(s) especially given when Bernie talks about Area 51 to Mark Russell. It was dropped though in case Godzilla vs. Kong underperformed or bombed like King of the Monsters did.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:59 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:55 pmKotm had that because Godzilla vs Kong was filmed already.
And Godzilla vs. Kong was originally to my knowledge going to have a post-credits involving some kind of contact with extraterrestrial(s) especially given when Bernie talks about Area 51 to Mark Russell. It was dropped though in case Godzilla vs. Kong underperformed or bombed like King of the Monsters did.
Godzilla vs kong'spost credit scene was Kong in the Hollow Earth according to Wingard when he was asked about a post credit scene. They moved it to before the credits.

If the alien one was true why leave it off the blu ray or not mention it after the movie was a success?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:14 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:59 pm
Godzilla vs kong'spost credit scene was Kong in the Hollow Earth according to Wingard when he was asked about a post credit scene. They moved it to before the credits.

If the alien one was true why leave it off the blu ray or not mention it after the movie was a success?
Wingard's recent interview gave me the impression that the only thing cut when the post-credit scene was moved, was Kong discovering other titans (apes?) inside Hollow Earth. The next MV movie could be titled "The Rise of Doug" for all we know.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Well Wingard says that the end credits would have ruined what the next monster was…

If space, Gigan…

If Hollow Earth….ugh….Megalon?

Either way, seems like a dramatic step down from KG and MG..

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:12 pm Well Wingard says that the end credits would have ruined what the next monster was…

If space, Gigan…

The Monsterverse has to go a step down, it can be KG and MG everytime.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:12 pm Well Wingard says that the end credits would have ruined what the next monster was…

If space, Gigan…

They can always reinvent them to be more threatening especially Gigan just look at how they're doing the Riddler in The Batman.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

On one hand Megalon as a floy for Kong and his son would be cool.

But at the same time I'd like another original titan like the skullcrawlers and MUTOs. Notably a bear titan, kind of a throwback to Son of Kong or a rival Kong, maybe even a Yeti-based counterpart.

Especially since realistically we're most likely getting only 2-3 films left.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I mean if anything I think the MV is gonna continue past 2-3 films since Legendary and Toho are still invested in it especially if this series run more that at least 2 seasons.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

DynomikeGojira wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:14 am I mean if anything I think the MV is gonna continue past 2-3 films since Legendary and Toho are still invested in it especially if this series run more that at least 2 seasons.
I just don't see it reaching as many films as say the MCU has. Nowhere as close.

Maybe if what you say is true perhaps at most less than 10 but no more than that.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I’d say tops 2-3 more …you can do a Hollow Earth Kong, alien invasion DAM styled movie and then some sort of Destroyer level capper

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:22 am I’d say tops 2-3 more
My thoughts exactly.

No offense but its hilarious to think the MonsterVerse will ever reach the level the MCU has achieved.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:29 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:14 am I mean if anything I think the MV is gonna continue past 2-3 films since Legendary and Toho are still invested in it especially if this series run more that at least 2 seasons.
I just don't see it reaching as many films as say the MCU has. Nowhere as close.

Maybe if what you say is true perhaps at most less than 10 but no more than that.
It's never gonna be MCU quantity but I'd say we have about 10 years of MonsterVerse left.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

DynomikeGojira wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:50 amIt's never gonna be MCU quantity but I'd say we have about 10 years of MonsterVerse left.
And how will 10 years exactly cover 2-3 movies which is what we most likely then not have left?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:54 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:50 amIt's never gonna be MCU quantity but I'd say we have about 10 years of MonsterVerse left.
And how will 10 years exactly cover 2-3 movies which is what we most likely then not have left?
Pretty much what we've had already. We're not gonna see another film until 2024 at the earliest and we don't know how long this show or even Skull Island is gonna last and in a recently posted interview Wingard did say that they cut some thing out from the end that might have suggested where future installments can go and if Steven DeKnight is to be believed there were small discussions about potentially crossing over with Pacific Rim(won't happen) so yeah they could easily stretch another 10 years it's all about the release dates for the various projects being talked about certainly not gonna happen this year.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

If we get even one more MV film with Godzilla in it I'd be shocked. This film series ain't going another 10 years. Come on.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

There's alot of that have happened these past couple of years that I didn't think we were gonna get yet here we are. Truth is we're just a couple of fans speculating with no inside knowledge on how Legendary and Toho are continuing the MonsterVerse or for how long and while you may be right I think there's equal evidence to suggest that this franchise is something Legendary and Toho are taking the steps to continue in some way or another and everybody directly involved with the MV has as much as said that. Feel free to disagree with me if you want but these are my reasons thinking it's a real possibility.