Godzilla's Design in Future MV Films

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Re: Godzilla's Design in Future MV Films

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

Give him the millennium spines

Godzilla2020
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzilla2020 »

TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:54 am
Godzilla2020 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:36 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:09 pm The head being shrunk is to show that he grew a good 90 meters or so. Dude is girthed out.

It's like giving the Rock a huge head to compensate for his huge body.
The only problem with that is that human heads are not a weaponized body part. Human jaws are damn near worthless compared to just about any other animal proportionately. Of course there's nothing to lose by shrinking a human head to make the body bulkier, it emphasizes on the arms, the parts primarily used for fighting(at least with males, the prime fighters of our species, and most species).

With Godzilla his jaws are some of his primary weapons. Shrinking them is just not a good look. It takes away from part of what makes him menacing.
Have you seen how bad human on human bites can get? Isn't pretty.
Wouldn't call them useless as a weapon at all
By that I mean compared to a bite of an animal. Any similarly sized animal is gonna be a much better biter than a human.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I think the design is fine by itself, But I would like to see the 2014 tail back again
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Shatter his ‘54 dorsal spines and cut off the tip of his tail in a fight with another monster, bring back the 2014 design and have him stay that way for the rest of the series.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Hm, no thanks. ☝️
I'd like him to have the tail of the unused Godzilla 1994.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:07 pm Shatter his ‘54 dorsal spines and cut off the tip of his tail in a fight with another monster, bring back the 2014 design and have him stay that way for the rest of the series.
I'd personally like him to have sharper spines with white tips like in that one GvK concept art piece from last year but otherwise, I think the 2014 design should come back too.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:48 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:07 pm Shatter his ‘54 dorsal spines and cut off the tip of his tail in a fight with another monster, bring back the 2014 design and have him stay that way for the rest of the series.
I'd personally like him to have sharper spines with white tips like in that one GvK concept art piece from last year but otherwise, I think the 2014 design should come back too.
Which concept art...? :o
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:59 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:48 pm
Which concept art...? :o
I was thinking of this...

but I misremembered the look of the spines. This piece (infamous for being the only look we got at GvK for years) is more like what I was envisioning.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Am I the only one who prefers the 2019/2021 tail? Don't get me wrong, the massive whip of G14 was awesome but the blunter end of the newer design feels a bit more Godzilla-y in aesthetic. Plus 2021 does seem to have pointed out the tail slightly again, so win-win I guess?

Really the only change that I'd really like to see is giving him just a tad more color- a better distinction between the upper and lower half of his body and maybe slightly brighter edges on the spines, but overall his design is solid as it is imo.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

You're not the only one who prefers the new tail. The 2014 one bothers me way more than the brontosaur feet.

Regarding changes....honestly, he's perfect and at this point I'd argue that any changes they make should have a story component. If they give him color on his spines for instance perhaps it's because his power levels are maxed out or it's a sign of all the damage he's taken in the previous movies robbing him a bit of his life force akin to growing older.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Scrap the design completely and replace it with a 100% suit accurate CGI rendition of MekaGyakushuGoji.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:49 pm Scrap the design completely and replace it with a 100% suit accurate CGI rendition of MekaGyakushuGoji.
I’d rather not bear witness to a hyper-realistic version of scowling botched plastic surgery lumpyface McGee, thank you.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Give him back his 2014 tail and spines. I love the MonsterVerse Godzilla, but I really think that 2014 has the perfect design for the series.

Maybe enlarge the skull a bit.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I am fine with whatever minor changes they give him if they even decide too.

G-2014 was a nice start, GKOTM improved it by fixing the feet and spines, an while I had no issue with the tail change some did but he seemed more pudgy around the gut. GvK Godzilla seemed a bit thinned down and the tail while still rounded seemed to have a sharper end to it like G-2014.

The only thing I could even remotely suggest would be make the tips of the spines white. Otherwise the design is pretty much perfect for Legendary's films.