The Ambiguity with Godzilla and Ford

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Desghidorah
G-Grasper

The Ambiguity with Godzilla and Ford

Post by Desghidorah »

One of my favorite aspects of Godzilla 2014 is the integration of the human cast on the final monster battle and how the latter directly influences how the former is acting. Not only are there some really great moments right out of the better levels of City Shrouded in Shadow, giving some great scaling shots on just how enormous the kaiju are and yet how easily they blend in with the city and darkness, but for arguably only one of few times in the franchise do we see Godzilla especially take notice of just one person. And unlike with Shindo and Katagiri from Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla 2000 respectively, here Godzilla has a calm interaction with Ford Brody. The two form a thematic tether that starts the moment both are in the city together and resolves when both pass out once the danger has passed.

Ford blew up the MUTO nest and this gave Godzilla the window needed to get his bearings and counter attack. This coupled with the female MUTO taking off after the HALO drop team's extraction of the bomb both to reclaim it and likely avenge her offspring, gave Godzilla his opening to kill the male MUTO and lighten his odds. An injured and worn out Ford and Godzilla come across one another and share a gaze, both clearly studying and taking note of each other. Godzilla is overtaken by the dust and Ford, now having his second wind, manages to haul himself out to the harbor with a busted leg to get the nuke bearing boat out to sea. Afterwards we all know what happens.

Was it an Androcles' Lion scenario, like the Aesop of the man who pulled a thorn from a lion's paw and was later protected by it, with Godzilla intentionally saving Ford?

Was it just a happy coincidence that Ford happened to distract the female MUTO in just the right manner for Godzilla to sneak up and ambush her?

Considering Godzilla incidentally saved Ford earlier with the first atomic breath firing, was that case accidental and this was intentional?

When Godzilla noticed Ford, did he know this was the human which had angered the MUTOs and destroyed the nest; or was he just passively noticing a human nearby?

The movie never gives a concrete answer because exactly how aware Godzilla is to humanity is very ambiguous in this movie. While the later MV films would add some clarity, I always liked how this film played it in respect to this plot. And no matter which way it's sliced, it doesn't really cause anything in the movie to change. That's some smart film-making I don't often see get the praise it does.

*Edit: Rando Yaguchi reminded me of a few other times Godzilla noticed someone, thank you :)
Last edited by Desghidorah on Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Ambiguity with Godzilla and Ford

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I personally think Godzilla intentionally saved Ford, but that’s just me. Regardless, in my opinion, Godzilla’s interaction with Ford is his best interaction with a human in the entire MonsterVerse.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Godzilla also looked directly at Kumi Mizuno's character in Ebirah, and the homeless dude in 84.

These moments in G14 remind me more of G98 than anything - having the main character coincidentally come face to face with Godzilla not once, but twice. Pretty contrived in both instances, and I'm not really seeing any hidden thematic resonance in either.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:14 pm Godzilla also looked directly at Kumi Mizuno's character in Ebirah, and the homeless dude in 84.

These moments in G14 remind me more of G98 than anything - having the main character coincidentally come face to face with Godzilla not once, but twice. Pretty contrived in both instances, and I'm not really seeing any hidden thematic resonance in either.
1. Thanks for the reminder, made an edit :)

2. I wouldn't say contrived. Contrived to me would mean they bumped into each other purely for the sake of it. Both times there was a reason for them to be in the same area at the same time. The first time was because Ford was still near where Godzilla had been fighting and given his hurt leg, he wasn't able to move away quickly like the other soldiers. The second time was because the female MUTO was going for the same thing Ford was, and Godzilla in turn was following her.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

I just overall hate ford.
Please, aaron, you're an actor. Try to express some emotion.

The Calico
Ronin

Post by The Calico »

I really liked the moment Ford looked up to Godzilla in the city. I think it's clear that he was 'having a moment' with Godzilla. But we don't know if he was in awe of a giant monster, if he felt some kind of bond as they fight a common enemy, or something else.

On the other hand, it's not clear if Godzilla even noticed Ford. I always thought Godzilla was just looking in his general direction but didn't care about him. After all, Godzilla was preoccupied with the collapsing building. It reminds me of Higuchi saying that the fear of a smaller monster like Gyaos is where it locks eyes with you and attacks, but a larger monster would look past you.

But I can't say that others are wrong in how they interpret Godzilla's thoughts. And it's interesting to think that he might have intentionally saved Ford. It's one of the film's strengths that it doesn't have the monsters constantly destroying or fighting; it's willing to have brief moments like this that aren't action-based but still stand out.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

I think that scene may be confirmation of what Serizawa had been saying all movie long: that Godzilla was conscious of the humans in his world, and that he knew he was helping them. For most of the movie he is huge, totally removed from the humans. But in that moment I think it shows the audience that there is more going on than just pure animal instinct.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.