What if they incorporated the Cthulhu Mythos into the Monsterverse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

What if they incorporated the Cthulhu Mythos into the Monsterverse?

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

HP Lovecraft works are public domain.

The movies they could make could standalone and not imply the original stories have anything to do with the Godzilla universe.

A bit like Kong being a Monsterverse version of Kong that stands alone.

Anyway, you could start with a movie about Cthulhu and the city of R'lyeh since that's the most recognizable face and then other movies could include Dagon, Shub-Niggurath, Mountains of Madness to introduce The Elder Things amongst others.

I think they would all blend well even with Hollow Earth.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: What if they incorporated the Cthulhu Mythos into the Monsterverse?

Post by miguelnuva »

Milli Bobby Brown and Team Godzilla investigate a cult who follow the Old One. Mothra has to return to counter Cthulhu's psychic abilities while Godzilla battles him physically.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Please no...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Yeah, no skreeonking thank you.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Hey now, single file. We need to get Gwangi in first, then maybe, MAYBE we can talk about Lovecraft. Maybe.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

According to Ultraman Tiga the Cthulhu mythos are no match for the hope and willpower of children, so it'd be interesting to see Godzilla fry Cthulhu into calamari once kids start chanting "Go Go Godzilla!" by Susumu Ishikawa and Kunio Miyauchi. Maybe add some spicy mayo while you're at it.

But I must concur with Prime Minister Rando Yagucci, Gwangi is a far more important matter. Yesss.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

No just no but maybe some ancient Titans could've inspired some aspects of it.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I love Gwangi but isn't he a little bit small compared to Godzilla?

Also according to the ending of his movie isn't he a little bit dead. Unless he comes back as Zombie Gwangi. Or a prequel.

Gotta get Cthulhu in there so Godzilla can laugh in Kaiju as Cthulhu gets taken out by getting rammed by a boat only for Godzilla to do a double take as Cthulhu comes back completely unscathed.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:34 pm I love Gwangi but isn't he a little bit small compared to Godzilla?

Also according to the ending of his movie isn't he a little bit dead. Unless he comes back as Zombie Gwangi. Or a prequel.
I find your lack of faith disturbing. We'll make a convert of you yet.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

No. I wouldn't mind Legendary doing their own LovecraftVerse or CthulhuVerse, but I'd like to keep it separate from their MonsterVerse. Not everything needs to crossover, and just doing the Cthulhu Mythos on it's own is infinitely more interesting to me these days than to tie it down to some other property. But then, that shouldn't come as a surprise - I'm one of those people still miffed we never got Guillermo del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness, so of course I'd like to see this done justice as it's own thing.

Man, I'll never understand why we couldn't get that movie made. Is it...is it because it would've been to good for this world?

While we're at it also a bit miffed we never got his Frankenstein project either...

Added in 3 minutes 13 seconds:
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:04 am Hey now, single file. We need to get Gwangi in first, then maybe, MAYBE we can talk about Lovecraft. Maybe.
Also no. I want a Gwangi movie, but I don't want it to have anything to do with kaiju or setting up Monarch. What's wrong with just having a stand alone cowboys vs dinosaurs picture that connects to nothing else?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju need Godzilla in order to make it to the isle of relevancy. That's why a lot of people say Monsterverse.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:20 pm Kaiju need Godzilla in order to make it to the isle of relevancy. That's why a lot of people say Monsterverse.
Except Pacific Rim, Rampage, and The Meg all kind of prove that's not true though? I mean, those all did profit - Pac Rim got a sequel (not so good) and an anime, and The Meg is getting a sequel. Don't know how you get more relevant than profits and sequels and cartoons. They're already relevant without Godzilla.

Added in 1 minute 13 seconds:
Heck, Lovecraft's stuff is relevant - Underwater, Lovecraft Country, more games than I can count these days...

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The Cthulhu mythos has some unfortnuate names, to say the least. I'd rather them not be in the MV.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:48 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:20 pm Kaiju need Godzilla in order to make it to the isle of relevancy. That's why a lot of people say Monsterverse.
Except Pacific Rim, Rampage, and The Meg all kind of prove that's not true though? I mean, those all did profit - Pac Rim got a sequel (not so good) and an anime, and The Meg is getting a sequel. Don't know how you get more relevant than profits and sequels and cartoons. They're already relevant without Godzilla.

Heck, Lovecraft's stuff is relevant - Underwater, Lovecraft Country, more games than I can count these days...
The Meg is not a kaiju movie and Rampage had The Rock. Rampage is a kaiju film but it is also a video game movie. The Meg and Rampage exist on fine lines.

Pacific Rim did really well in China I agree but I believe even a lot of Pac Rim fans were suprised it got a sequel.

Other than kotm the Godzilla films and done well ok box office wise and have a lot of buzz talking.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:06 pm

The Meg is not a kaiju movie and Rampage had The Rock. Rampage is a kaiju film but it is also a video game movie. The Meg and Rampage exist on fine lines.

Pacific Rim did really well in China I agree but I believe even a lot of Pac Rim fans were suprised it got a sequel.

Other than kotm the Godzilla films and done well ok box office wise and have a lot of buzz talking.
The Meg is just splitting hairs, to the GA it's a giant monster movie. Rampage still did well, having the Rock doesn't take that away or knock it. Pacific Rim did good in China - a lot of films do good in China, doesn't make them somehow not a success. A lot of what you're knocking these movies for can be leveled at the MV too - a lot of people don't like Kong being sized up to be a kaiju (remember those debates?), a lot of people went to see 2014 cause guy from Breaking Bad, and the MV does pretty well in China, so it's a double standard to try and knock these other movies for those things. The genre has done well, we're in a new "Golden Age" for kaiju content with more on the way like Kaiju Heist from Hollywood and Kaiju Cleanup from Japan. We don't need to tie all these properties to Godzilla at the hip for them to succeed or be relevant, they already have proven that they and the genre can stand on their own.

Added in 2 minutes 58 seconds:
Voyager wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:01 pm The Cthulhu mythos has some unfortnuate names, to say the least. I'd rather them not be in the MV.
One of my favorite stories is The Rats in the Walls, but the protagonist's cat's name...oof, that would not fly today (and it's sad there was a time it flew at all), but I'd assume modern adaptations would change those names to something less gawd awful unfortunate.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

^

:-(
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Breakdown wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:35 pm HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.
Lmfao.

Now THIS is a movie I'd see.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:54 pm According to Ultraman Tiga the Cthulhu mythos are no match for the hope and willpower of children, so it'd be interesting to see Godzilla fry Cthulhu into calamari once kids start chanting "Go Go Godzilla!" by Susumu Ishikawa and Kunio Miyauchi.
Cthulhu is a pushover that can be easily overcome by children. So the real high-stakes matchup will be in the movie Godzilla vs An Army of Kennys.
Last edited by G1985 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

Cloverfield is gonna have 4 movies soon. No Godzilla in sight.