What if Just one Director Directed the Whole Monsterverse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: What if Just one Director Directed the Whole Monsterverse?

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:04 pm I've never seen a fun Nolan film, well directed and good films but not fun.
The Batman films were a fun watch, Inception too. Admittedly those are the only films of his I've seen.
Guess it depends on what you consider fun? There's not a lot of jokes or quips like a lot of action films dish out these days, but it's gripping, action packed entertainment largely, and I'd say that's fun. He's got his faults, but they're not that bad. I've heard some people call his films dark and depressing, but I don't think those people have seen dark or depressing if they think that.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:54 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:01 am However, once the concept of Kong having to fight Godzilla became established, I think it’s incredibly hard to keep that sort of tonal consistency. It’s just more of an apparently B Movie, cartoonish concept.
I disagree with that very strongly - and the fact that our only opportunity to have it proved otherwise was squandered and we'll never seen that concept done seriously...
Well, others may cheer over it, but I wish I had gotten 1 Godzilla vs King Kong movie that didn't think the concept was inherently supposed to be stupid. But it just wasn't meant to be. And that sucks for me.

Added in 3 minutes 25 seconds:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:59 pm I'd keep Christy Nolan & Zacky Synder far away from the MV, no no.

As I've said before I'm not a big fan of the MV but if KOTM was course corrected then I would have no problem watching these all in a row for dumb fun. For my pick it'd be Vogt-Roberts.
Nolan made some damn great movies. Whatever his faults are, they don't interfere with how fun his films are to watch - plus they're fun without being dumb.

Yes. You’ve beaten this dead horse into submission and along with it, killed most of these threads. We all know how you feel about GvK….

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:48 am
Vakanai wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:54 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:01 am However, once the concept of Kong having to fight Godzilla became established, I think it’s incredibly hard to keep that sort of tonal consistency. It’s just more of an apparently B Movie, cartoonish concept.
I disagree with that very strongly - and the fact that our only opportunity to have it proved otherwise was squandered and we'll never seen that concept done seriously...
Well, others may cheer over it, but I wish I had gotten 1 Godzilla vs King Kong movie that didn't think the concept was inherently supposed to be stupid. But it just wasn't meant to be. And that sucks for me.

Added in 3 minutes 25 seconds:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:59 pm I'd keep Christy Nolan & Zacky Synder far away from the MV, no no.

As I've said before I'm not a big fan of the MV but if KOTM was course corrected then I would have no problem watching these all in a row for dumb fun. For my pick it'd be Vogt-Roberts.
Nolan made some damn great movies. Whatever his faults are, they don't interfere with how fun his films are to watch - plus they're fun without being dumb.

Yes. You’ve beaten this dead horse into submission and along with it, killed most of these threads. We all know how you feel about GvK….
Considering most threads have kept on going, I've killed nothing. I'm as entitled to my opinion as you yours. And if you're tired of it, you can just put me on your ignore list or not read the 1 out of 10 or 20 posts I still make about it. Really, I mention it what? Once or twice a week? Out of all my posts on everything else? It's diminishing the further out we get from it, and usually I only mention it when people talk about how great it was or the only way it could be done - yet those opinions get a pass, but not mine because I didn't like it.

I know how everyone else feels about GvK too - should I be bemoaning how you and others still bring it up? So why single me out?

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I feel like because it’s repetitive, not constructive and it’s the same thing every time. It wears thin. And for those of us who do like it, it’s kind of shitty to have the same person repeatedly come in and state how awful they think it is.

I also think your criticisms are generally pretty shallow equating to “they didn’t do what I wanted them to do with the lead monsters so I hate this film and view it as disrespectful.”
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:02 am I feel like because it’s repetitive, not constructive and it’s the same thing every time. It wears thin. And for those of us who do like it, it’s kind of shitty to have the same person repeatedly come in and state how awful they think it is.

I also think your criticisms are generally pretty shallow equating to “they didn’t do what I wanted them to do with the lead monsters so I hate this film and view it as disrespectful.”
1. "For those of us who do like it" is a non-factor to be fair. Those of us who don't like it don't get to use the argument of how shitty it is to have the same people repeatedly come in and state how good they think it is.
2. Most of the posts talking well of the movie are just as shallow, so I don't see why criticisms need to go into great depth and be varied.
3. Months ago when it was new most of my posts were long ass rants raging against this movie. Now I only take one or two short pot shots at it a week as a tiny minority of total posts I make.

I'm going to complain about this movie - I will complain about this movie if this forum's still up 40 years from now and I'm still a member in my 70s. That's just a fact. But it'll be few and far between. You can ignore me, you can roll your eyes at me, whatever, but me making minor groans about the most disappointing movie of my life is fine - people still complain about G98 for crying out loud. I've made 4 remarks about GvK this week total, and two of them are in response to you stating making one or two posts a week tops isn't a big deal and that it's just going to be less and less as time goes on. A lot of people who liked the movie are still talking about it, and outside of me just stating I disagree, which again is happening at a rarer and rarer occurrence over time, I don't tell them to stop talking about it and that it's repetitive and not helpful, even though I believe it is. It annoys me just as much hearing/reading about it as my posts apparently bother you, that's just a fact. But it'd be unreasonable of me to expect people to behave how I'd like them to.

Feel free to complain about me complaining still, but I've nothing further to say, I'm not changing. I'm just going to continue at my own pace in my own time moving away from this movie.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

If Gareth directed all of the monsterverse, the films would be very dark. Say goodbye to the daytime fights in Skull Island, KoTM, and GvK.