Who Was Godzilla's Toughest Opponent in the Monsterverse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Choose 2

Shinomura
1%
The MUTOs
4%
MUTO Prime
3%
King Ghidorah
41%
Scylla
1%
Genitor & Swarm
No votes
Tiamat
No votes
Kong
5%
Mechagodzilla
45%

Total votes: 98

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Who Was Godzilla's Toughest Opponent in the Monsterverse?

Post by Gojira1604 »

Yeah I also feel it's the Mecha that was bullying Godzilla for most of their solo fight, and came very close to killing him :Mechagodzilla74: . But I can also make a case for the MUTOs who dwindled the power of his breath passively.

goji89
Sazer

Re: Who Was Godzilla's Toughest Opponent in the Monsterverse?

Post by goji89 »

MG no contest.

That ugly no actual design having robot kicked Goji's ass up and down Hong Kong. He kneed him in the damn face...*chest? Either way it was brutal.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

MechaGodzilla by a whole-ass long shot.

The MUTOs were lethal rival predators to Godzilla that relied on brutal teamwork; a pair of wolves taking on a bear, if you will.

King Ghidorah was a wuss who didn't live up to his buildup as the baddest guy of them all.

MechaGodzilla, however, skreeonking earned his reputation from the beginning and ragdolled both Godzilla and King Kong like they were chumps without any help. One moment Godzilla and Kong were seemingly gaining the upper hand against him, the next he went "oh, okay, SKREEONK YOU!" and flipped the tables right back in his favor. Plus, Mecha G's beam skreeonked Godzilla up worse than Ghidorah's gravity beams ever did.

MechaGodzilla takes this handily.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Absolutely MG. The MUTOs as mentioned were mainly using their number as an advantage and got dealt with rather quickly once seperated, and even the Prime mostly resorts to hit and run tactics to tire Godzilla up. Ghidorah is pretty darn powerful but depending on circumstances he and Godzilla seemed to be more or less evenly matched in spite of their power ups, plus the bastard can fly and is pretty agile. Mechagodzilla is figuratively and literally an absolute killer machine that not only managed to stand his own against Godzilla on 1v1 ground combat, he also overpowered his atomic breath with ease and managed to predict virtually every move he would make- this wasn't a fight, this was a beatup at it's finest. Definitely a worthy successor to the legacy of MG brutalizing Godzilla's ass :lol:

Plus nearly using his signature finishing move on him? That's just cold man.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:10 pm
Plus nearly using his signature finishing move on him? That's just cold man.
Yeah, in wrestling you never use another guy's finisher without permission. MG didn't ask which makes him a different S.O.B altogether.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Mechagodzilla for sure. Dude kept his place as Godzilla's ultimate foe for me.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I still feel like KG kicked Godzilla’s ass harder than anyone. Maybe I need to rewatch the films.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 pm I still feel like KG kicked Godzilla’s ass harder than anyone. Maybe I need to rewatch the films.
Aside from the sky drop, what did he do that compares to MG?
For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Voyager wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:56 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 pm I still feel like KG kicked Godzilla’s ass harder than anyone. Maybe I need to rewatch the films.
Dude it’s the sky drop! I legit thought Godzilla was going to die for a second. Before I realized plot armor would save the day.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:58 pm
Voyager wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:56 pm
Dude it’s the sky drop! I legit thought Godzilla was going to die for a second. Before I realized plot armor would save the day.
Yeah, that sky drop was deadly. But aside from that meh.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:05 pm I never for a second thought MG would kill Goji. That’s why I say KG.
Well, of course we all knew Kong would help out similar to Mothra helping Goji.
Sheesh, Godzilla really needed help to become King, he didn't get there on his own.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

goji89 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:09 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:05 pm I never for a second thought MG would kill Goji. That’s why I say KG.
Sheesh, Godzilla really needed help to become King, he didn't get there on his own.
I'm just saying I felt the stakes were higher with KG. Additional evidence for my argument is that Goji needed to power up to BG to defeat KG. But that's just my opinion.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:11 pm
I'm just saying I felt the stakes were higher with KG. Additional evidence for my argument is that Goji needed to power up to BG to defeat KG. But that's just my opinion.
I hate your opinion, and my opinion is the only one that matters. So I say MG was more of a threat, boom goes the dynamite.

Close this thread, I have spoken.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

goji89 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:14 pm

I hate your opinion, and my opinion is the only one that matters. So I say MG was more of a threat, boom goes the dynamite.

Sorry, my comments were dangerous and I should walk them back. I didn't mean to compare KG to MG and hope you can forgive me for such a transgression.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:20 pm
goji89 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:14 pm

Sorry, my comments were dangerous and I should walk them back. I didn't mean to compare KG to MG and hope you can forgive me for such a transgression.
I'll forgive you this one time.
We cool.

The Calico
Ronin

Post by The Calico »

Voted for King Ghidorah. It felt like it was the toughest to defeat.

Mechagodzilla was perhaps stronger or more ruthless, but it was such a strange choice to let it be affected by a spilt drink. Maybe the filmmakers wanted to show that by building MG focusing on its offensive capabilities, it was doomed to have a weak defense.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

It is King Ghidorah.

Simply because he can pretty much disengage from a fight, go regenerate quickly, and then choose the next time he wants to engage again. He learned his lesson not to engage Godzilla in the ocean, he can lure Godzilla on land and use flight to his advantage. MechaGodzilla looked good cause he jumped Godzilla after he just finished a serous beatdown. Every mark knows the best time for a heel to cash in an "anytime anywhere title shot" is right after the belt holder got done with a hard fought title match.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:56 pm King Ghidorah was a wuss who didn't live up to his buildup as the baddest guy of them all.
I will never understand what movie people who have this opinion are watching. No, Ghidorah was not some kind of emotionless, flawless Terminator like I guess some wanted him to be. He slipped up, he was caught off-guard, he got irritated or even panicked at times. He didn't always have the upper hand. He still put Rodan on his ass and made him bow. He still incinerated Mothra. He still freaking dropped Godzilla from orbit and had him dead to rights. Every monster he went up against in his movie, he defeated. He was an Alpha and a King, and Godzilla had to receive a massive powerup to finally dethrone him. That said...

MechaGodzilla, however, skreeonking earned his reputation from the beginning and ragdolled both Godzilla and King Kong like they were chumps without any help. One moment Godzilla and Kong were seemingly gaining the upper hand against him, the next he went "oh, okay, SKREEONK YOU!" and flipped the tables right back in his favor. Plus, Mecha G's beam skreeonked Godzilla up worse than Ghidorah's gravity beams ever did.

...this is all still true. I didn't like MV MG all that much, but the man's power was undeniable.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:22 am
ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:56 pm King Ghidorah was a wuss who didn't live up to his buildup as the baddest guy of them all.
I will never understand what movie people who have this opinion are watching. No, Ghidorah was not some kind of emotionless, flawless Terminator like I guess some wanted him to be. He slipped up, he was caught off-guard, he got irritated or even panicked at times. He didn't always have the upper hand. He still put Rodan on his ass and made him bow. He still incinerated Mothra. He still freaking dropped Godzilla from orbit and had him dead to rights. Every monster he went up against in his movie, he defeated. He was an Alpha and a King, and Godzilla had to receive a massive powerup to finally dethrone him. That said...

...this is all still true. I didn't like MV MG all that much, but the man's power was undeniable.
I know right? He was brushing off Godzilla around in Antarctica and in Boston all Godzilla did was hold him off for some time, once he charged up the tables turned to Ghidorah's favor pretty quickly. He might be weary at times but Ghidorah is by all means a formidable foe- the only time he did show some sort of fear was when Godzilla had him underwater and when he went burning mode. It's just that MG is so specifically designed to be a complete counter to Godzilla that the later is naturally outmatched in combat as opposed to Ghidorah where it seems to be 50/50.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.