Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
User avatar
CyberZilla
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 708
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:21 pm
Location: Somewhere amongst the stars, drifting along

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by CyberZilla »

gridiron_kaiju wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:15 pm Have you guys considered that maybe he was joking around and you’re taking it WAY too seriously?
I did not consider that… I take my giant monster movies very seriously. Too seriously. To a fault. And I forget sarcasm exists.
Biddee Biddee Biddee. :KingGhidorah64:
:Mechagodzilla74: Image Resized ImageResized ImageResized ImageResized ImageResized ImageResized Image
"Your survival is not a mistake."
Resized ImageResized Image

User avatar
vastatosaurus
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 755
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by vastatosaurus »

It's fun to watch the fandom burns after Adam Wingard's commentary was released. Kong fans are angry that he devaluated Kong's power too much, and even Godzilla fans became angry that he turned Godzilla's character from a protector of natural order into a baddy(well, some people now tend to even describe Godzilla as an A-hole) who bullies poor, weak Kong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share


I agree with all of Wingard's commentary though. I think his intentions were pretty neat. I felt he really considered a lot of things to make this movie as entertaining as he can. What he mostly care about is "entertainment". It's funny that people already enjoyed the movie and praised Wingard and then how they changed their positions completely and now even hate him all because of this commentary LOL

And there is a common misunderstanding that Wingard really has a disrespectful viewpoint on Kong and he is clearly Godzilla biased but that's not true.(Well, some Godzilla fans however are saying that Wingard was disrespectul for Godzilla that he changed his character to a bully LOL)

This is what he said in the commentary:

"I knew that Kong is gonna be the main character of the movie. I love Kong. In many ways I prefer Kong over Godzilla. I think he is such a cool character. I knew that he needed to have his own victory. But I knew Kong's victory gonna be the Rocky victory. You don't actually have to win to be a winner. It's about not giving up and Godzilla respects that at the moment. I think there is a genuin moment of respect of Godzilla and Kong in there where Godzilla sees Kong is not gonna give up."

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2733
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am
Location: Isla Nublar, 120 miles West of Costa Rica

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by gottatalktothefake »

vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:08 pm It's fun to watch the fandom burns after Adam Wingard's commentary was released. Kong fans are angry that he devaluated Kong's power too much, and even Godzilla fans became angry that he turned Godzilla's character from a protector of natural order into a baddy(well, some people now tend to even describe Godzilla as an A-hole) who bullies poor, weak Kong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share


I agree with all of Wingard's commentary though. I think his intentions were pretty neat. I felt he really considered a lot of things to make this movie as entertaining as he can. What he mostly care about is "entertainment". It's funny that people already enjoyed the movie and praised Wingard and then how they changed their positions completely and now even hate him all because of this commentary LOL

And there is a common misunderstanding that Wingard really has a disrespectful viewpoint on Kong and he is clearly Godzilla biased but that's not true.(Well, some Godzilla fans however are saying that Wingard was disrespectul for Godzilla that he changed his character to a bully LOL)

This is what he said in the commentary:

"I knew that Kong is gonna be the main character of the movie. I love Kong. In many ways I prefer Kong over Godzilla. I think he is such a cool character. I knew that he needed to have his own victory. But I knew Kong's victory gonna be the Rocky victory. You don't actually have to win to be a winner. It's about not giving up and Godzilla respects that at the moment. I think there is a genuin moment of respect of Godzilla and Kong in there where Godzilla sees Kong is not gonna give up."
Lmao this is great
Image

User avatar
Pkmatrix
Futurian
Posts: 3306
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Pkmatrix »

Honestly, I have zero interest in Wingard's thoughts on the actual fights. I'm WAAAAY more interested in the tidbits he gives about how different the original cut of this movie was. Like, apparently at one point Godzilla attacks a Monarch base in the original version? And what we had heard about it originally being Lind's fiance who dies instead of his brother, and semi confirmation that there was a whole filmed sequence for it was true?

The impression I'm getting is that the original cut was even more different from the final film than even the novelization is. It seems the novelization is just representative of what the film was reshot to before it was cut further by 30 minutes, not what the original film was pre-reshoots.

God, I hope someone's manages to dig up the original shooting script...
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vastatosaurus
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 755
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by vastatosaurus »

Pkmatrix wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:48 am Like, apparently at one point Godzilla attacks a Monarch base in the original version?
Image

https://youtu.be/9BFLeg4gfJY?t=95
Watch this from 1m35s

I think he is talking about this scene. And I guess this footage was reused for the scene when Godzilla blows up some trucks and people at APEX, Pensacola.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Major sssspielberg!
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:48 am

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

vastatosaurus wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:21 am
Pkmatrix wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:48 am Like, apparently at one point Godzilla attacks a Monarch base in the original version?
Image

https://youtu.be/9BFLeg4gfJY?t=95
Watch this from 1m35s

I think he is talking about this scene. And I guess this footage was reused for the scene when Godzilla blows up some trucks and people at APEX, Pensacola.
Just conjecture, but that would jive with the bit at the end of KOTM where the newspaper said Monarch was building a mechanical Titan under Skull Island or whatever if was.
:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

User avatar
LockBite
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by LockBite »

Honestly big props to Wingard for his honesty. This commentary could’ve been a fluff piece but he was frank and real. That part where he agrees that Godzilla’s head is too small, and that in hindsight he would’ve made it bigger, is the kind of thing you don’t always get from filmmakers.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:31 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Showzilla »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:55 am
vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:08 pm It's fun to watch the fandom burns after Adam Wingard's commentary was released. Kong fans are angry that he devaluated Kong's power too much, and even Godzilla fans became angry that he turned Godzilla's character from a protector of natural order into a baddy(well, some people now tend to even describe Godzilla as an A-hole) who bullies poor, weak Kong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share


I agree with all of Wingard's commentary though. I think his intentions were pretty neat. I felt he really considered a lot of things to make this movie as entertaining as he can. What he mostly care about is "entertainment". It's funny that people already enjoyed the movie and praised Wingard and then how they changed their positions completely and now even hate him all because of this commentary LOL

And there is a common misunderstanding that Wingard really has a disrespectful viewpoint on Kong and he is clearly Godzilla biased but that's not true.(Well, some Godzilla fans however are saying that Wingard was disrespectul for Godzilla that he changed his character to a bully LOL)

This is what he said in the commentary:

"I knew that Kong is gonna be the main character of the movie. I love Kong. In many ways I prefer Kong over Godzilla. I think he is such a cool character. I knew that he needed to have his own victory. But I knew Kong's victory gonna be the Rocky victory. You don't actually have to win to be a winner. It's about not giving up and Godzilla respects that at the moment. I think there is a genuin moment of respect of Godzilla and Kong in there where Godzilla sees Kong is not gonna give up."
Lmao this is great


Speaking of Reddit subs, the kong stans and an alt are brigading again

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... _strength/

User avatar
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1514
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:22 pm
Location: Somewheeeere over the rainbow

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Jermobooka »

Yup, this is it. Finally decided to unsub from r/monsterverse for good because goddamn is that place a dumpster fire.

All it took was one out of context clip from a directors commentary to exacerbate that dumb little feud going on over there :lol:
Image

User avatar
Gigantis
Keizer
Posts: 8464
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Gigantis »

What's even the point of a MonsterVerse subreddit when there's already a Godzilla subreddit?
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2733
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am
Location: Isla Nublar, 120 miles West of Costa Rica

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Showzilla wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:37 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:55 am
vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:08 pm It's fun to watch the fandom burns after Adam Wingard's commentary was released. Kong fans are angry that he devaluated Kong's power too much, and even Godzilla fans became angry that he turned Godzilla's character from a protector of natural order into a baddy(well, some people now tend to even describe Godzilla as an A-hole) who bullies poor, weak Kong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... urce=share


I agree with all of Wingard's commentary though. I think his intentions were pretty neat. I felt he really considered a lot of things to make this movie as entertaining as he can. What he mostly care about is "entertainment". It's funny that people already enjoyed the movie and praised Wingard and then how they changed their positions completely and now even hate him all because of this commentary LOL

And there is a common misunderstanding that Wingard really has a disrespectful viewpoint on Kong and he is clearly Godzilla biased but that's not true.(Well, some Godzilla fans however are saying that Wingard was disrespectul for Godzilla that he changed his character to a bully LOL)

This is what he said in the commentary:

"I knew that Kong is gonna be the main character of the movie. I love Kong. In many ways I prefer Kong over Godzilla. I think he is such a cool character. I knew that he needed to have his own victory. But I knew Kong's victory gonna be the Rocky victory. You don't actually have to win to be a winner. It's about not giving up and Godzilla respects that at the moment. I think there is a genuin moment of respect of Godzilla and Kong in there where Godzilla sees Kong is not gonna give up."
Lmao this is great


Speaking of Reddit subs, the kong stans and an alt are brigading again

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... _strength/
Kong fans down horrendous. You know they’ll pull this up later like it invalidates the actual film
Image

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:31 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Showzilla »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:05 pm
Showzilla wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:37 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:55 am

Lmao this is great


Speaking of Reddit subs, the kong stans and an alt are brigading again

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... _strength/
Kong fans down horrendous. You know they’ll pull this up later like it invalidates the actual film
If you wanna help shut em up, brigade back

User avatar
vastatosaurus
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 755
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by vastatosaurus »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:03 pm What's even the point of a MonsterVerse subreddit when there's already a Godzilla subreddit?
It's needed. The most immature mental age group in the fandom is being quarantined there.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:31 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Showzilla »

vastatosaurus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:30 pm
Gigantis wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:03 pm What's even the point of a MonsterVerse subreddit when there's already a Godzilla subreddit?
It's needed. The most immature mental age group in the fandom is being quarantined there.
And it's getting brigaded hard rn

User avatar
miguelnuva
Sazer
Posts: 14954
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by miguelnuva »

So to throw the Kong fans a bone and help the equal argument.

Kong in this movie is basically in the same position Godzilla is in kotm.

Kong could have submitted to Godzilla just like Godzilla could have submitted to Ghidorah but they both refused and fought on anyway.

Godzilla had Mothra and Kong had his axe. Even when it seems they were down for the count they still refuse to submit and eventually they rise and become Alphas.

Godzilla is a more clear cut victory and Kong's is symbolic but both are the same endings in a way.
You can put it on my Tombstone Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0

Image

ImageImage Image

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:31 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Showzilla »

how do you watch the commentary on the digital version?

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:27 am

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by LindenHS »

How accurate was Warstu on GVK again? Cause I forgot if he was one of the ones who had legit leaks?
I ask cause: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6cIuamTyE ... e=youtu.be

Been off and on for awhile came back and good god the heck happened in r/Monsterverse?? I mean it’s so toxic you need a hazmat suit!
I jumped in on something and it was like all the worst fans or non-fans suddenly appeared. Yikes.
Gonna avoid there until it’s less the way it currently is.
Also r/Godzilla is just as bad if not worse honestly, just the folks there send nasty private messages.

Anyway been talking to Keyes on Instagram and he is kinda an awesome guy!

Added in 1 minute 1 second:
Showzilla wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:44 pm
vastatosaurus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:30 pm
Gigantis wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:03 pm What's even the point of a MonsterVerse subreddit when there's already a Godzilla subreddit?
It's needed. The most immature mental age group in the fandom is being quarantined there.
And it's getting brigaded hard rn
Heard about that… shocked it hasn’t happened to me yet.

Sucks though it happened to you!

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:31 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Showzilla »

LindenHS wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:55 pm How accurate was Warstu on GVK again? Cause I forgot if he was one of the ones who had legit leaks?
I ask cause: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6cIuamTyE ... e=youtu.be

Been off and on for awhile came back and good god the heck happened in r/Monsterverse?? I mean it’s so toxic you need a hazmat suit!
I jumped in on something and it was like all the worst fans or non-fans suddenly appeared. Yikes.
Gonna avoid there until it’s less the way it currently is.
Also r/Godzilla is just as bad if not worse honestly, just the folks there send nasty private messages.

Anyway been talking to Keyes on Instagram and he is kinda an awesome guy!

Added in 1 minute 1 second:
Showzilla wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:44 pm
vastatosaurus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:30 pm
It's needed. The most immature mental age group in the fandom is being quarantined there.
And it's getting brigaded hard rn
Heard about that… shocked it hasn’t happened to me yet.

Sucks though it happened to you!
WELCOME TO THE COOL KIDS CLUB

But yeah, I got personally brigaded again.

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:27 am

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by LindenHS »

Showzilla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:01 pm
LindenHS wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:55 pm How accurate was Warstu on GVK again? Cause I forgot if he was one of the ones who had legit leaks?
I ask cause: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6cIuamTyE ... e=youtu.be

Been off and on for awhile came back and good god the heck happened in r/Monsterverse?? I mean it’s so toxic you need a hazmat suit!
I jumped in on something and it was like all the worst fans or non-fans suddenly appeared. Yikes.
Gonna avoid there until it’s less the way it currently is.
Also r/Godzilla is just as bad if not worse honestly, just the folks there send nasty private messages.

Anyway been talking to Keyes on Instagram and he is kinda an awesome guy!

Added in 1 minute 1 second:
Showzilla wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:44 pm

And it's getting brigaded hard rn
Heard about that… shocked it hasn’t happened to me yet.

Sucks though it happened to you!
WELCOME TO THE COOL KIDS CLUB

But yeah, I got personally brigaded again.
Yeah was told by someone, mutual friend.
At least the mods have been made aware so hopefully they are able to do something.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2178
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh just glanced at trivia notes for Godzilla vs Kong digital and saw that among scenes that were cut was one of Jonah and several of his men being killed by Apex soldiers to get at the Ghidorah head. Hm which counts are more canon then? The novelization or deleted scene? Also it sounded like a scene that had Serisawa senior in it was cut.

Post Reply