Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by plasmabeam »

AlphaPonpo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:06 pm Almost 1000 pages and we still haven’t gotten a crazy leak the same way KOTM did. WB and legendary are doing a decent job keeping stuff under wraps this time around eh?
It’s funny because when I first heard this movie was being made, the one and only spoiler I wanted to know (so I could relax lol) was who wins. Now, we pretty much know this but we’re getting a daily avalanche of semi-spoiler video/stills as well.

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

AlphaPonpo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:06 pm Almost 1000 pages and we still haven’t gotten a crazy leak the same way KOTM did. WB and legendary are doing a decent job keeping stuff under wraps this time around eh?
To be fair we probably would have gotten one if it weren't for Sayaka being purged.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

WB and Legendary are being a lot more careful with this movie afterbwhat happened with Kotm and WW84.

I do wonder if Sayaka would have still gotten through however.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:26 pm WB and Legendary are being a lot more careful with this movie afterbwhat happened with Kotm and WW84.

True. Though the real spoiler here was spoiled over a year ago. Everything else is just plot points that I prefer to wait to see the movie for.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

At this point I want to leave MechaG as a surprise in the film, but I just know if any pics of his full design leak (from the front or sides) I will eat that stuff up with gravy

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

plasmabeam wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:45 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:26 pm WB and Legendary are being a lot more careful with this movie afterbwhat happened with Kotm and WW84.

True. Though the real spoiler here was spoiled over a year ago. Everything else is just plot points that I prefer to wait to see the movie for.
I’m not too worried about spoilers.
I usually enjoy the second and third viewings more anyway. The first watch I’m just trying to take it all in. Although the music cues really caught me emotionally on the first watch of KOTM.

1,000!
Last edited by Bluezilla on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:53 pm At this point I want to leave MechaG as a surprise in the film, but I just know if any pics of his full design leak (from the front or sides) I will eat that stuff up with gravy
Same for me lol

Hell, after the recent Chinese trailer, I'm trying to promise myself that I won't watch anymore new TV spots or international trailers. The odds of me pulling that off though are incredibly slim

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Moogabunga wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:01 pm
Thegarbagemonster wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:53 pm At this point I want to leave MechaG as a surprise in the film, but I just know if any pics of his full design leak (from the front or sides) I will eat that stuff up with gravy
Same for me lol

Hell, after the recent Chinese trailer, I'm trying to promise myself that I won't watch anymore new TV spots or international trailers. The odds of me pulling that off though are incredibly slim
I think Mechagodzilla is probably the most exciting part of the movie for me, especially after seeing him from the back on that shirt. He looks so vicious! I hope they don't pull the same cheap roars they always do, aka just take Godzilla's and put a filter on it. I don't think Mechagodzilla has ever sounded intimidating. I'd give him a super deep roar like a Martian Tripod from Spielberg's WotW.

Kaijucifer
Gotengo Officer

Post by Kaijucifer »

ernesth100 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:23 pm So power scaling wise that places a composite Godzilla as a planetary threat?
Composite Godzilla is multiversal because of Comics and Super Robot Wars Kiryu scaling to other multiversal characters.

Added in 2 minutes 35 seconds:
Bluezilla wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:26 pm
Kaijucifer wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:02 pm Alan Jonah's group. They gather Titan DNA. Bioengineer a creature using Godzilla, Ghidorah, and some titan with biocrystalline properties' DNA. Boom. Space Godzilla. It could be phase 3's final monster. When they go into space to find alien Titans. They can bring a "Space Godzilla" to find other worlds, while Monarch and the others try to find a way to stop them from causing trouble with an Alien race and their Titans.
I like parts of this idea but would like to tie it back into Serizawa’s arrogance of man quote.
Have them trying and not succeeding at an industrial plant in South Carolina. They’re failed attempts get dumped in local Carolina Bay (these are relict ice age ponds not connected to ocean) where the pond edges are covered in Venus fly traps and Sundews (carnivorous plants). Nature succeeds where man failed as the Godzilla and Ghidorah cells merge with the dna of the plants. We end up with Biollante and Deathla.
But it does tie into arrogance of man. What's more arrogant than mankind playing God and creating a Titan using the genetic material harvested to go and conquer other worlds and attempt to control nature by removing humanoid civilizations from them? Directly trying to control nature by removing something from the equation lol.
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

AlphaPonpo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:48 am
vastatosaurus wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:36 am
AlphaPonpo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:16 am

I mean, the Gamera Trilogy is prototype MV isn't it? It's easy to draw the comparison between GOTU and G14, but the ending of KOTM and G2 basically have the same parting words... and from what we are hearing about GvK, its really looking like G3. They are putting the antihero monster in a villainous light but reaffirming its intentions by the end... Mechagodzilla might be like Iris, a twisted and seemingly benevolent vessel for revenge that Ren will use until its inherent villainy is revealed.

I used to be really bothered with MV taking so much from Kaneko's trilogy. He even mentioned that G14 was similar to GOTU in many ways before, but now I see that they are just sticking with a proven formula. Gamera trilogy still is peak kaiju after all...
It is true that the two series have many similarities in their plot lines. What a coincidence.
I get your point, and one could even say that the trilogy takes from the unproduced Frank Darabont Godzilla. We'll have to see with GVK. It still feels like the MV it's echoing the ideas and themes of the trilogy, maybe even unintentionally. It's not a bad thing at all, and you are right that it's only logical that they would run close, but it's just interesting how Godzilla's modern trilogy seems to mirror Gameras.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of Hesei Gamera trilogy. Actually, the trilogy is by far my favorite kaiju moive series. I don't mind if MV really tried to build hommage to Gamera tirlogy. But, we would better treat it as coincidence yet. Now that the trilogy has become a classic in kaiju genre, it's not strange to see similar content in other movies. A lot of those similarities are so standard and general plot points of monster movie these days.

You know, you are not the only one who noticed this similarities. This topic was already been talked by fans many times. In TK too.
I mean think about it. They're so much alike. No way is it a coincidence that Legendary got their ideas for the movies from the Heisei Gamera Trilogy.

-Like Gamera who reemerges in the modern day to defeat his ancient enemy Gyaos, Godzilla reawakens to battle his ancient enemy the MUTOs.
-Like Gyaos who is reawakened and empowered due to humanity's destruction of the environment, the MUTOs are reawakened by human activity and feed on manmade nuclear materials.
-The JSDF mistakenly believes Gamera to be the greater threat compared to Gyaos before finally deciding to "let them fight" in a major urban center in the film's climactic battle. In both cases, the heroic monster tries to stop his enemy from reproducing from its nest in the heart of the city.
-Gamera beheads Gyaos before returning back to the ocean triumphantly, exactly as Godzilla does to the female MUTO.

Gamera 2: Attack of the Legion/Godzilla: King of the Monsters: Both films have humanity deciding to join forces with the heroic monster against a much greater threat. Both of the antagonistic kaiju are extraterrestrial monsters who want to reshape the earth to fit their needs with an army of minions at their disposal. The heroic kaiju is nearly killed before his final encounter with his enemy, but comes back to life. With the assistance of humanity and a powerful final attack, the heroic monster is victorious in his final clash with his foe. At the end of the film, both humanity and the heroic monster are in an uneasy alliance, but many question how long it will last.

Kong: Skull Island kinda takes some elements from Gamera: Guardian of the Universe as well with like how Gamera keeps Gyaos in check, Kong does the same with Skullcrawlers which are pretty much the MonsterVerse equivalent to them given their endless need to devour and if left unchecked will spread out of control continuing to devour everything until nothing is left.

More so like the Heisei Gamera Trilogy as King of the Monsters introduced there was an advanced ancient civilization that worshipped Godzilla akin to Gamera who was created by Atlantis and as the movie also shows like Gamera 3 said monsters inspired various mythical monsters in mythology.

And most of all since KotM has shown like the Heisei Gamera Trilogy they both involve damage to the earth and environment.

Which is why I'm feeling Godzilla vs. Kong is gonna play familiar with Gamera 3 only with aspects of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) thrown into it such as Godzilla becoming more anti-heroic causing casualties while dealing with an rogue titan and Mechagodzilla (King Ghidorah's brain taking over) controlling Skullcrawlers and the ending being Godzilla and Kong dealing with thousands of them.
Let me close this post by quoting someone else's good words on this topic
STILL....whether anyone wants to admit it or not, or whether the influence/parallels are on purpose or not, the Gamera Trilogy is an EXCELLENT trilogy to take pointers from as far as Kaiju films go.

AlphaPonpo
Yojimbo

Post by AlphaPonpo »

vastatosaurus wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:34 pm
AlphaPonpo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:48 am
vastatosaurus wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:36 am
It is true that the two series have many similarities in their plot lines. What a coincidence.
I get your point, and one could even say that the trilogy takes from the unproduced Frank Darabont Godzilla. We'll have to see with GVK. It still feels like the MV it's echoing the ideas and themes of the trilogy, maybe even unintentionally. It's not a bad thing at all, and you are right that it's only logical that they would run close, but it's just interesting how Godzilla's modern trilogy seems to mirror Gameras.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of Hesei Gamera trilogy. Actually, the trilogy is by far my favorite kaiju moive series. I don't mind if MV really tried to build hommage to Gamera tirlogy. But, we would better treat it as coincidence yet. Now that the trilogy has become a classic in kaiju genre, it's not strange to see similar content in other movies. A lot of those similarities are so standard and general plot points of monster movie these days.

You know, you are not the only one who noticed this similarities. This topic was already been talked by fans many times. In TK too.
I mean think about it. They're so much alike. No way is it a coincidence that Legendary got their ideas for the movies from the Heisei Gamera Trilogy.

-Like Gamera who reemerges in the modern day to defeat his ancient enemy Gyaos, Godzilla reawakens to battle his ancient enemy the MUTOs.
-Like Gyaos who is reawakened and empowered due to humanity's destruction of the environment, the MUTOs are reawakened by human activity and feed on manmade nuclear materials.
-The JSDF mistakenly believes Gamera to be the greater threat compared to Gyaos before finally deciding to "let them fight" in a major urban center in the film's climactic battle. In both cases, the heroic monster tries to stop his enemy from reproducing from its nest in the heart of the city.
-Gamera beheads Gyaos before returning back to the ocean triumphantly, exactly as Godzilla does to the female MUTO.

Gamera 2: Attack of the Legion/Godzilla: King of the Monsters: Both films have humanity deciding to join forces with the heroic monster against a much greater threat. Both of the antagonistic kaiju are extraterrestrial monsters who want to reshape the earth to fit their needs with an army of minions at their disposal. The heroic kaiju is nearly killed before his final encounter with his enemy, but comes back to life. With the assistance of humanity and a powerful final attack, the heroic monster is victorious in his final clash with his foe. At the end of the film, both humanity and the heroic monster are in an uneasy alliance, but many question how long it will last.

Kong: Skull Island kinda takes some elements from Gamera: Guardian of the Universe as well with like how Gamera keeps Gyaos in check, Kong does the same with Skullcrawlers which are pretty much the MonsterVerse equivalent to them given their endless need to devour and if left unchecked will spread out of control continuing to devour everything until nothing is left.

More so like the Heisei Gamera Trilogy as King of the Monsters introduced there was an advanced ancient civilization that worshipped Godzilla akin to Gamera who was created by Atlantis and as the movie also shows like Gamera 3 said monsters inspired various mythical monsters in mythology.

And most of all since KotM has shown like the Heisei Gamera Trilogy they both involve damage to the earth and environment.

Which is why I'm feeling Godzilla vs. Kong is gonna play familiar with Gamera 3 only with aspects of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) thrown into it such as Godzilla becoming more anti-heroic causing casualties while dealing with an rogue titan and Mechagodzilla (King Ghidorah's brain taking over) controlling Skullcrawlers and the ending being Godzilla and Kong dealing with thousands of them.
Let me close this post by quoting someone else's good words on this topic
STILL....whether anyone wants to admit it or not, or whether the influence/parallels are on purpose or not, the Gamera Trilogy is an EXCELLENT trilogy to take pointers from as far as Kaiju films go.
Yeah I mean, on the off chance it is intentional, its pretty much the best thing they could use to start a new kaiju project, and it's understandable why they'd take it if they did. I'm just glad we're getting anything at all that feels like the trilogy really. Gamera is long overdue for a comeback!

Also, 1000 pages woohoo!

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Godzilla
Kong
MG
Skullcrawler
Warbat
Hellhawk
Monsterverse cameos?
Toho cameos?
WB monsters cameos?
New Titans?
Did I leave any out?

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:07 pmI think Mechagodzilla is probably the most exciting part of the movie for me, especially after seeing him from the back on that shirt. He looks so vicious! I hope they don't pull the same cheap roars they always do, aka just take Godzilla's and put a filter on it. I don't think Mechagodzilla has ever sounded intimidating. I'd give him a super deep roar like a Martian Tripod from Spielberg's WotW.
Ah yes, the Martian tripod horn. I’ve always wanted that sound to be recycled and used for a future MonsterVerse Godzilla foe — but made to sound more gravelly (like the Balrog from LOTR) and like two octaves lower.
Last edited by obZen on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

Post by BennettCommando »

Bluezilla wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:56 pm
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:32 pm
Godzilla
Kong
MG
Skullcrawler
Warbat
Hellhawk
Monsterverse cameos?
Toho cameos?
WB monsters cameos?
New Titans?
Did I leave any out?

I would put my money on “Monsterverse cameos” and “New Titans”.

Perhaps we would see some new species in Hollow Earth.

Shadd21
Samurai

Post by Shadd21 »

Is it true that Kong will suffer a heart attack during the Hong Kong fight?

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

Shadd21 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:36 pm Is it true that Kong will suffer a heart attack during the Hong Kong fight?
God I hope not. We are already getting transfusions and "The air I breathe" I can't take much more goofiness.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

Anyone think that line "Godzilla will come for him and it will be a death sentence" is meant for Ren Serizawa instead of Kong? A most have assumed Godzilla does not want to kill Kong other than his submission, so that pretty much leaves the death threat to whoever's operating the MG right?

Gamera2021
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gamera2021 »

Bluezilla wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:56 pm
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:32 pm [gamesradar/godzilla-vs-kong-will-feature-tonnes-of-surprises-and-some-brand-new-monsters/]Godzilla vs Kong will feature "tonnes of surprises" and "some brand new monsters"[/url]
Godzilla
Kong
MG
Skullcrawler
Warbat
Hellhawk
Monsterverse cameos?
Toho cameos?
WB monsters cameos?
New Titans?
Did I leave any out?
I doubt there will be one single fun surprise.

Would love any TOHO monster cameos, though.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

ultrazilla wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:30 pm Anyone think that line "Godzilla will come for him and it will be a death sentence" is meant for Ren Serizawa instead of Kong? A most have assumed Godzilla does not want to kill Kong other than his submission, so that pretty much leaves the death threat to whoever's operating the MG right?
I don’t know. That is coming from the team Kong side and they all probably believe Godzilla is on an out of control rampage.