Which Godzilla suit is better Tokyo SOS or Final Wars

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
GodzillaSpawn
JXSDF Technician

Re: Which Godzilla suit is better Tokyo SOS or Final Wars

Postby GodzillaSpawn » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:51 pm

I really like the Final Wars Godzilla alot better than SOS. The sleekness, the more aggressive looking face, the hidden eyes. He had the "don't mess with me" face and a body that actually looked capable in combat. The Kiyru-Goji suit is actually one of my least favorite designs. It doesn't look mean enough to me. It may look very reptilian, but it also looks expressionless. The eyes look lifeless, and that's a big deal to me. They never move. He looks like the slowest Godzilla ever. I'm not a fan of the scar...I like my Godzillas to regenerate. I think I just got tired of the millennium designs (except for GMK). Final Wars looks more like the oldschool Showa designs.

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:06 am

GodzillaSpawn wrote: The Kiyru-Goji suit is actually one of my least favorite designs. It doesn't look mean enough to me. It may look very reptilian, but it also looks expressionless. The eyes look lifeless, and that's a big deal to me.

On the contrary, I think Kiryu-Goji is very expressive. The shape of his face and the way his eyes are positioned suggest a arrogant Godzilla, one who is disdainful of humans, and perhaps every other being he encounters.

GodzillaSpawn wrote:Final Wars looks more like the oldschool Showa designs.

Actually, it's more like a cross between the Showa and Heisei designs.
ImageImageImage

GodzillaSpawn
JXSDF Technician

Postby GodzillaSpawn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

Rody wrote:
GodzillaSpawn wrote: The Kiyru-Goji suit is actually one of my least favorite designs. It doesn't look mean enough to me. It may look very reptilian, but it also looks expressionless. The eyes look lifeless, and that's a big deal to me.

On the contrary, I think Kiryu-Goji is very expressive. The shape of his face and the way his eyes are positioned suggest a arrogant Godzilla, one who is disdainful of humans, and perhaps every other being he encounters.

GodzillaSpawn wrote:Final Wars looks more like the oldschool Showa designs.

Actually, it's more like a cross between the Showa and Heisei designs.
ImageImageImage

Where you see arrogant Kiryu-Goji, to me it looks blank. Like he's confused and dumbfounded. He looks oblivious to whatever is happening around him. Like a fish in a fishbowl. No matter if you shoot him with 50 missiles or hug him, he'll have the same exact face. GMK Godzilla always looked arrogant and evil, but even with pupiless eyes, was far more effective with expressions. Kaneko nailed that aspect though.

And yeah the head on Final Goji, especially the crown, look hesei, but his slender build, hands, feet, and spines scream Showa to me. I think I'm just tired of the huge jagged spines and the toad/desert lizard face.

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:36 am

Practically EVERY Godzilla's face is unchanging. That's just the way the suits are. Sokogecki-Goji was an exception where animatronics were placed in the head.
Any problems Kiryu-Goji had with bodily expression came not from the appearance of the suit, but from the build; it was very stiff.

Now, if you had said you thought Mire-Goji had an expressionless face, I would have agreed fully. I can't make out any emotion or thoughts when I look at that suit's face, other than primitive animal savagery.

Gojira1963
Futurian

Postby Gojira1963 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:50 pm

KiryuGoji03 wrote:I like Tokyo SOS. Dunno why...

It is one of my favorites too!
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

GodzillaSpawn
JXSDF Technician

Postby GodzillaSpawn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Rody wrote:Practically EVERY Godzilla's face is unchanging. That's just the way the suits are. Sokogecki-Goji was an exception where animatronics were placed in the head.
Any problems Kiryu-Goji had with bodily expression came not from the appearance of the suit, but from the build; it was very stiff.

Now, if you had said you thought Mire-Goji had an expressionless face, I would have agreed fully. I can't make out any emotion or thoughts when I look at that suit's face, other than primitive animal savagery.

I'm sorry, but I'm not very good with the official goji suit names (unless they are obvious and have the other monsters name in it). But I am aware many of the suit heads don't benefit from animatronics, but even back in the day they usually had the robot heads that were more expressing than the SOS one. Even in the 60's, I felt like Godzilla's face had levels of anger it would show (or when he looked puzzled and his eyes went side-to-side). Godzilla '84, much like '64, ALWAYS looked pissed so I don't think those examples help my case but rather are just my preference. But the robot heads after that, specifically Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah where you see him recognize Shindo and his eyes are fixed on the man as the gears in his mind are obviously going. He's snarling and grimacing; Godzilla actually looked conflicted. Then he coldly vaporized him.

I honestly feel like GMK and Final Wars costumes convey emotions far greater than the other Millennium suits. I just think it's something about the shape of the head and the eyes that limit how much emotion is conveyed. But I do agree, part of it is the suit as well. Definitely stiff and he didn't even seem to bother to react when he was attacked with anything in the movie. It looked like my bandai figure at times.

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:55 pm

I think Final-Goji's facial design was aiming for the sullen, resentful look of Mosu-Goji(1964), but because the eyes are rather concealed, it hurts the design.

If we're going to talk about all four Millennium suits, we probably should migrate to a more appropriate thread: http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5573&start=240

Mincecraft
G-Grasper

Postby Mincecraft » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:15 am

GodzillaSpawn wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm not very good with the official goji suit names (unless they are obvious and have the other monsters name in it).

I agree, I have no idea which suits you are talking about Rody.

Can we just go by the year?

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Postby Carthormerr » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:27 am

Kiryu Goji was more like an animal and Final Goji more like a monster
"A monster can live forever"

GodzillaSpawn
JXSDF Technician

Postby GodzillaSpawn » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:32 am

Carthormerr wrote:Kiryu Goji was more like an animal and Final Goji more like a monster

I agree with this. And I like my Godzilla look more monster-like than animal-like.

After thinking longer on what I said in this thread, I shouldn't have said Final Wars Godzilla had more expression. His face, much like the '64 Godzilla, always stays the same. I just prefer the expression way more.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Postby Carthormerr » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:53 am

GodzillaSpawn wrote:And I like my Godzilla look more monster-like than animal-like.

100% agree with this. All of the best films IMO he was more monster-like
"A monster can live forever"

Godzilla2004fan
Yojimbo

Postby Godzilla2004fan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:30 am

I like both, but I prefer Godzilla FW.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:33 am

Godzilla2004fan wrote:I like both, but I prefer Godzilla FW.

YOU DON'T SAY?!
Resized Image

Earn Your Health.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:04 am

They are probably my two least favorite suits in the entire series (even below Musuko-Goji). I agree with those who find Kiryu-Goji particularly lifeless and kind of clueless looking. Final-Goji, on the other hand, looks particularly stupid and mean. Those hidden eyes really kill the suit for me.

Can I just rate them both zeroes?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:06 am

eabaker wrote:They are probably my two least favorite suits in the entire series (even below Musuko-Goji). I agree with those who find Kiryu-Goji particularly lifeless and kind of clueless looking. Final-Goji, on the other hand, looks particularly stupid and mean. Those hidden eyes really kill the suit for me.

Can I just rate them both zeroes?

MARK IT ZERO!
Resized Image

Earn Your Health.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

tbeasley
JXSDF Technician

Postby tbeasley » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:13 pm

The Kiryu design has grown on me over time and I quite like the SOS design with the big scar on his chest. To me it's the Millennium Godzilla in the same way 89/91 is Heisei and 64 or 68 is Showa.

Final Wars gets points for being more lean and agile, which Kiryu certainly is not.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:06 pm

I prefer the SOS suit, but I think they both complement their stories quite well.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:19 am

SOS always had a worn, tired and old feel to him where it seemed he didn’t really want to fight anymore. Final Wars was the Kaiju version of modern Doomguy/Doomslayer, where he was nothing but unbridled rage and destruction.

As far as which suit is better, Final Wars due to his lean design and those sunken, fiery eyes.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

HillyHulk
Yin-Yang Master

Postby HillyHulk » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:31 am

The Tokyo S.O.S Godzilla is just 1999-2000 Godzilla with darker and smaller spines. Godzilla Final Wars actually looked different with the leaner yet still muscular body along with the alligator-like face and cool red-orange eyes. I give it to Final Wars Godzilla.
8-) ... because I can.

latinothor
Samurai

Postby latinothor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:18 pm

Godzilla Final Wars has a more balance set of features as a monster in general. And those eyes sometimes hidden in darkness remind me of a Darth Vaderish look to it. My vote goes to Godzilla Final Wars as one of my favorites in the whole series actually.

Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”