Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
BlacktimusPrime
Yin-Yang Master

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Postby BlacktimusPrime » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:24 pm

eabaker wrote:I always find it interesting when people criticize unconvincing CGI in a series beloved for presenting what are obviously men in suits as giant monsters.

What?! You mean godzilla was a man in a suit?! My whole world is turned upside down....
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.

Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Postby kamilleblu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:42 pm

eabaker wrote:I always find it interesting when people criticize unconvincing CGI in a series beloved for presenting what are obviously men in suits as giant monsters.

I'm not expecting 100% realism. It's more about how well the CGI matches with everything else on screen. It shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

JetrellFo
Ronin

Postby JetrellFo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:44 am

When the physical tech outperforms the digital tech, it' s easy to see why this would be, unless you just need to have something to say about it.

;)

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:05 pm

You know, for the longest time GMK was my favourite millennium series film, both because it is genuinely great, but also I think I was heavily influenced by the general fan love that it gets. Which it deserves. But re-evaluating now, I think maybe G2K is my favourite. I think for a while I was distracted by surface level things, namely that I’m not huge on the G2K suit and red atomic breath. On a deeper level though, it is kind of a perfect gem of a kaiju flick - really well paced and structured, good mix of familiar and new concepts, and really good, sympathetic human characters. It also strikes kind of the perfect tone between dramatic and fun.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:47 am

Out of all the Godzilla movies in the franchise, this one and 1985 have the greatest dubs of all the series, that alone makes this film a pure pleasure to watch, and don’t even get me started on the end Godzilla vs. UFO/Orga fight, that things a thing of beauty.

Easily the best film in the Millennium era, hands down. The rest fall so short when compared to this.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:49 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Out of all the Godzilla movies in the franchise, this one and 1985 have the greatest dubs of all the series, that alone makes this film a pure pleasure to watch, and don’t even get me started on the end Godzilla vs. UFO/Orga fight, that things a thing of beauty.

Easily the best film in the Millennium era, hands down. The rest fall so short when compared to this.

This is very true. I wonder why that is. Could it be because they both got American Theatrical releases, not just home releases?
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:14 pm

I think any of the Titra/Titan dubs are superior, personally. I understand the phony and somewhat racist Asian accents are a turn off to some but looking past that, those dubs are better scripted and the lip sync is more accurate as well. But beyond those, I think 1985 and 2000 are probably the best of the Godzilla dubs.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

King of the Monsters
Yin-Yang Master

Postby King of the Monsters » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Terasawa wrote:I think any of the Titra/Titan dubs are superior, personally. I understand the phony and somewhat racist Asian accents are a turn off to some but looking past that, those dubs are better scripted and the lip sync is more accurate as well. But beyond those, I think 1985 and 2000 are probably the best of the Godzilla dubs.

Completely in agreement. As far as post-Showa Godzilla dubs go, I think 1985 and G2K are easily the best (not counting the anime dubs), but I hesitate to really compare them with the Titan ones. There was a different level of quality and effort put into the theatrical dubs back in the Showa series I can't really see in much since then, though that's mostly due to the steady diet of Hong Kong dubs we've gotten. Biollante is probably the best international dub, but it still ranks well behind 1985 and G2K for me.

I know the G2K dub gets some flak for being kind of dumb and intentionally campy at times, but I appreciate the writing and think it strikes the right balance between goofy and serious enough to not treat the film as a joke. There's plenty of memorable lines and competent voice acting all-around.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not the site on Wikia.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:50 pm

I don't think this film gets enough praise for its cinematography. So many shots are just GORGEOUS especially during Godzilla's first rampage. Besides GMK none of the Millennium films have cinematography that matches G2K and it really hurt those films.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:40 pm

The rest of them came off like TV movies.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:36 pm

PitchBlackProgress wrote:The rest of them came off like TV movies.

I would REALLY disagree with that. Aside from Megaguirus, cinematography is one of the strong suits of the Millennium series. Kiryu shutting down in the ruins of Tokyo, Godzilla's grand entrance in Final Wars, the entirety of GMK, there are too many great shots to count. Godzilla 2000 still holds the crown in best shot, though.

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:56 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:The rest of them came off like TV movies.

I would REALLY disagree with that. Aside from Megaguirus, cinematography is one of the strong suits of the Millennium series. Kiryu shutting down in the ruins of Tokyo, Godzilla's grand entrance in Final Wars, the entirety of GMK, there are too many great shots to count. Godzilla 2000 still holds the crown in best shot, though.

Not to mention that iconic into-the-credits shot of Godzilla getting hit by lightning from Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla.

I would agree with this. There is a... I don't know, a grounded style that still puts this film on top for me, and that none of the rest match- but in a stylized, more fantastical style, which trades atmosphere and depth for a brighter color palette and more fantastical canvas, the remainder of the Millenium series has its share of gorgeous compositions.

You could compare G2K to a gourmet meal while the rest are more of sugary confections- but they're still the kind of masterfully-crafted sugary confections that retail in high-end bakeries. They may not be the same kind of meal, but they are made with equal craft in their own field.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:37 am

Zarm wrote:Not to mention that iconic into-the-credits shot of Godzilla getting hit by lightning from Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla.

I have literally no memory of the shot you're talking about.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:12 am

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:Not to mention that iconic into-the-credits shot of Godzilla getting hit by lightning from Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla.

It’s during the Maser fight in the beginning when Godzilla destroys all the military vehicles, he roars into the raining sky as lightning strikes his dorsal fins.
#slatternking

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:02 am

eabaker wrote:

This shot:

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:43 am

That movie just passes by me like a light breeze. That's a cool shot, but I have no memory of ever having seen it before, despite having seen GxMG four or five times at least.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:14 pm

eabaker wrote:That movie just passes by me like a light breeze.

This really sums up my experience too, in a really eerie way :lol:
It's really how I feel with all the Heisei films post Biollante, everything just seems to breeze by... weird.
G2K sticks out, but everything else is a blur.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:05 pm

A lot of GvsSG is like that for me. This one is decently memorable, though. Regarding the cinematography, it definitely has it's well executed shots, but then there were several where Kiryu just has no sense of mass, looking more like a toy than a believable giant robot. Which is unfortunate, because overall I feel like they handled him very well in this movie.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Anyone else feel like this movie is a lot more... "cinematic" than a lot of the other films in this series? I can't tell what if it's the way that it's shot or the fighting or something, but I feel like this is generally a lot better shot and looking than the following featuress

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:33 pm

KingKaiju wrote:Anyone else feel like this movie is a lot more... "cinematic" than a lot of the other films in this series? I can't tell what if it's the way that it's shot or the fighting or something, but I feel like this is generally a lot better shot and looking than the following featuress

No you’re definitely not the only one, everything about this movie is leagues better than all the other Millennium films combined. If all the other films were like this one, the Millennium series would have easily been miles better than the Heisei series
#slatternking

Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”