Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Post by Spuro »

BlacktimusPrime wrote:I just earlier today rewatched this one, and one thing really stood out to me - the lead character is not as likeable as I remembered. While Katagiri is cold-blooded, trying to kill a monster that's been terrorizing your nation for decades is definitely the right thing to do; human life is infinitely more precious than scientific advances.
I think you're misinterpreting Shinoda's character and his goals.

Katagiri: "And in the meantime, he just levels Tokyo."

Shinoda: "Of course not, that's why I created the network. He must be contained, I realize that."
Shinoda's research into Godzilla is what allows him to predict where he will show up and how to mitigate the damage. He learns at the beginning of the movie that shutting down nuclear reactors isn't enough to keep Godzilla from coming ashore, and tries to warn Katagiri.

Both are looking to keep Godzilla from causing further damage. Their methods are simply different.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I haven't seen the movie in a few years, so I don't remember what all Shinoda specifically says, but I imagine the scientific advances he's talking about would be meant to save lives, so it's hardly an either/or situation. Yes, in the short term a living Godzilla might kill a few thousand people, but in the long term, Regenerator G1 might save billions from injury or disease.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

There's a lot to like with this one. The dysfunctional family and Katagiri make for some of most interesting human drama of the post-Showa films, it features one of the more memorable Godzilla designs and performances, and has a unique twist on the tired alien invasion formula. Unfortunately, the visual effects are wildly inconsistent. On one hand you have the fantastic looking miniatures and action set-pieces; vast improvements over the work done for the other 90s Godzilla films. But you also have the Millennian UFO, Orga's first form, and Godzilla swimming. Yikes.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

The CGI still holds up pretty well to me.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Ivo-goji wrote:The CGI still holds up pretty well to me.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I think a better example of the CGI would be Orga devouring Godzilla. It's not super realistic but for Japan, for 1999, I think it holds up pretty well.

The UFO also looks fine to me, but a lot of that is helped due to the smooth, mirror-like texture of the spacecraft.
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

kamilleblu wrote:
No complaints here.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

kamilleblu wrote:
I suspect that's supposed to be self-evidently bad, but it looks awesome to me. (Some UFO shots far less so, admittedly).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I always find it interesting when people criticize unconvincing CGI in a series beloved for presenting what are obviously men in suits as giant monsters.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

eabaker wrote:I always find it interesting when people criticize unconvincing CGI in a series beloved for presenting what are obviously men in suits as giant monsters.
What?! You mean godzilla was a man in a suit?! My whole world is turned upside down....
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

eabaker wrote:I always find it interesting when people criticize unconvincing CGI in a series beloved for presenting what are obviously men in suits as giant monsters.
I'm not expecting 100% realism. It's more about how well the CGI matches with everything else on screen. It shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

JetrellFo
Samurai

Post by JetrellFo »

When the physical tech outperforms the digital tech, it' s easy to see why this would be, unless you just need to have something to say about it.

;)

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

You know, for the longest time GMK was my favourite millennium series film, both because it is genuinely great, but also I think I was heavily influenced by the general fan love that it gets. Which it deserves. But re-evaluating now, I think maybe G2K is my favourite. I think for a while I was distracted by surface level things, namely that I’m not huge on the G2K suit and red atomic breath. On a deeper level though, it is kind of a perfect gem of a kaiju flick - really well paced and structured, good mix of familiar and new concepts, and really good, sympathetic human characters. It also strikes kind of the perfect tone between dramatic and fun.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Out of all the Godzilla movies in the franchise, this one and 1985 have the greatest dubs of all the series, that alone makes this film a pure pleasure to watch, and don’t even get me started on the end Godzilla vs. UFO/Orga fight, that things a thing of beauty.

Easily the best film in the Millennium era, hands down. The rest fall so short when compared to this.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Out of all the Godzilla movies in the franchise, this one and 1985 have the greatest dubs of all the series, that alone makes this film a pure pleasure to watch, and don’t even get me started on the end Godzilla vs. UFO/Orga fight, that things a thing of beauty.

Easily the best film in the Millennium era, hands down. The rest fall so short when compared to this.
This is very true. I wonder why that is. Could it be because they both got American Theatrical releases, not just home releases?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think any of the Titra/Titan dubs are superior, personally. I understand the phony and somewhat racist Asian accents are a turn off to some but looking past that, those dubs are better scripted and the lip sync is more accurate as well. But beyond those, I think 1985 and 2000 are probably the best of the Godzilla dubs.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Terasawa wrote:I think any of the Titra/Titan dubs are superior, personally. I understand the phony and somewhat racist Asian accents are a turn off to some but looking past that, those dubs are better scripted and the lip sync is more accurate as well. But beyond those, I think 1985 and 2000 are probably the best of the Godzilla dubs.
Completely in agreement. As far as post-Showa Godzilla dubs go, I think 1985 and G2K are easily the best (not counting the anime dubs), but I hesitate to really compare them with the Titan ones. There was a different level of quality and effort put into the theatrical dubs back in the Showa series I can't really see in much since then, though that's mostly due to the steady diet of Hong Kong dubs we've gotten. Biollante is probably the best international dub, but it still ranks well behind 1985 and G2K for me.

I know the G2K dub gets some flak for being kind of dumb and intentionally campy at times, but I appreciate the writing and think it strikes the right balance between goofy and serious enough to not treat the film as a joke. There's plenty of memorable lines and competent voice acting all-around.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I don't think this film gets enough praise for its cinematography. So many shots are just GORGEOUS especially during Godzilla's first rampage. Besides GMK none of the Millennium films have cinematography that matches G2K and it really hurt those films.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

The rest of them came off like TV movies.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:The rest of them came off like TV movies.
I would REALLY disagree with that. Aside from Megaguirus, cinematography is one of the strong suits of the Millennium series. Kiryu shutting down in the ruins of Tokyo, Godzilla's grand entrance in Final Wars, the entirety of GMK, there are too many great shots to count. Godzilla 2000 still holds the crown in best shot, though.

RIP Evan.