Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Godzillian
Kwaidan

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Postby Godzillian » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:27 pm

So just copying and pasting what people post on other sites without a direct link? Smh

Gerdzerl

Postby Gerdzerl » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Godzillian wrote:So just copying and pasting what people post on other sites without a direct link? Smh

Wait, what? I literally just did post a direct link, two of them in fact. I don't quite understand what you mean.

My apologies if I'm coming off as overly confrontational/defensive, but I simply just wanted to share some rarely known info pertaining to this film's Godzilla that I thought was neat. :eh:
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:41 am

Whoa. Always so weird to see someone using a completely different theme in a screenshot, when you've grown to take the 'look' of the forums so for-granted...

EDIT: Nifty! I wish we had that level of info on some of the other incarnations...
Last edited by Zarm on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 am

Oh excuse me I didn't see the highlighted hyper links

King of the Monsters
Yin-Yang Master

Postby King of the Monsters » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:27 pm

On the topic of this Godzilla's identity, while the 1999 guide book is imprecise about whether it is the 1954 Godzilla or a second one, I think the fact it calls it a "fourth generation of Godzilla" suggests that even within its continuity it is not the same individual as the 1954 Godzilla. That book along with Shin Godzilla Walker also demonstrate that G2K is considered to follow the original film, even though no such dialogue is present in the film itself.

Most Japanese sources I've seen, barring terrible mistranslation on my part, seem to suggest this Godzilla is indeed meant to be a second Godzilla that appeared after the 1954 Godzilla. Godzilla.jp, Toho's former official site for the Godzilla series, said that it was a second Godzilla that appeared after the first Godzilla (if anyone could find an archive of that site's page for Godzilla 2000, we could find the actual text), and Japanese Wikipedia's bio for this Godzilla opens with: "1954年に出現した初代ゴジラの後に日本にたびたび上陸している緑色の体色のゴジラ。" To the best of my understanding, it says something to the effect of "After the first generation Godzilla appeared in 1954, this green Godzilla has frequently landed in Japan."
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not the site on Wikia.

Shin Gabara
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Shin Gabara » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Watching for the first time in forever. This is a terrible suit. Way too Croczilla. Havent gotten to Orga yet, but I remember digging it.
. . .

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:30 am

This movie is pretty great. I’m not a massive fan of the suit, but the plot is fun and it has some of the most engaging and memorable human characters of any Godzilla film, for me at least. Also, when I was a little kid the Orga reveal was legitimately a shocking twist. Pretty unique enemy kaiju, too.

One thing I’ve never been clear on: did the UFO contain one Mellenian who mutated into Orga, or was it a bunch who merged into the Mellenian you see?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:08 pm

^The manga adaptation seems to imply the second thing.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Genjira Overwatch
Yojimbo

Postby Genjira Overwatch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:24 pm

One of the 1st 3 Godzilla films I'd seen, has a lot of nostalgic value to it. Definitely a favorite of mine, don't really care about people who say it sucked. That's your opinion, and I'm not legally required to like or listen.
Am I still on? Er, well, we now return you to... Whatever it was you were doing....
Idiots.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:47 am

One thing I’ve alwas wondered, that I never found an answer to is: does anyone know what the reasoning was in changing Godzilla's atomic breath from blue to orange? Was it to leave some kind of connectivity to the Heisei series?

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:59 am

KingKaiju wrote:One thing I’ve alwas wondered, that I never found an answer to is: does anyone know what the reasoning was in changing Godzilla's atomic breath from blue to orange? Was it to leave some kind of connectivity to the Heisei series?

I think it was just an arbitrary ‘let’s do something new’ kind of choice.

HedorahGrabber
Samurai

Postby HedorahGrabber » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:09 am

I really like Godzilla 2000. It was one of my first Godzilla movies and it has always been one of my favorites. It's not a perfect film but the movie introduces new ideas such as Godzilla's regeneration and the GPN while at the same time introducing a new monster Orga (which is one of my favorite Godzilla kaiju). I love the conflict of ideologies that Shinoda and Katagiri have on how to handle Godzilla. The music is top notch and special effects, while might be lacking in a few shots, are still great. I could talk about it all day but I'm saving that for a youtube video in the future.
Sir, you're interfering with my deep lore discussion.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:01 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:One thing I’ve alwas wondered, that I never found an answer to is: does anyone know what the reasoning was in changing Godzilla's atomic breath from blue to orange? Was it to leave some kind of connectivity to the Heisei series?

Makes sense. I was just always curious is there was a bigger meaning to it. I feel the same about the change change from simply MechaGodzilla to Kiryu.

HedorahGrabber
Samurai

Postby HedorahGrabber » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 am

KingKaiju wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:

Makes sense. I was just always curious is there was a bigger meaning to it. I feel the same about the change change from simply MechaGodzilla to Kiryu.

I guess it helps by identifying them from the rest. Giving the name Kiryu makes it easier to separate it from the other Mechagodzillas.
Sir, you're interfering with my deep lore discussion.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:58 am

What really jumps out at me is that the breath change was accompanied by actually making Godzilla green for the first time. By making him green, and making his breath look more like fire, it always seemed like they were creating a Godzilla that matched long-held mainstream American ideas about the character.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:33 am

eabaker wrote:

What really jumps out at me is that the breath change was accompanied by actually making Godzilla green for the first time. By making him green, and making his breath look more like fire, it always seemed like they were creating a Godzilla that matched long-held mainstream American ideas about the character.

I’ve never thought of it that way - intentional or not, thats very interesting.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:51 pm

It did show in American theaters, so you might have some idea there. Anyhow, Toho is always changing Godzilla's appearance, especially when it involves a restart of the series.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:16 am

I've always loved that they made his spines purple in this film. I think that was such an interesting decision and I'd love to see that again some day.
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 pm

There's something really cozy about this movie. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I don't feel this with other Millennium movies.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:21 am

Tohosaurus wrote:There's something really cozy about this movie. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I don't feel this with other Millennium movies.

I know what you mean. I feel the same, now that you mention it.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”