Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Destroyer
G-Grasper

Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Post by Destroyer »

Godzilla 2000: Millennium

Ah, Godzilla 2000. I remember when I first saw it. It was Christmas, and I had caught it at near the ending. This gigantic beast was literally trying to SWALLOW Godzilla whole. That was truly something else. I have since seen the film three times, and with each, I like it more. The question that I'd really like to ask is why a lot of fans don't like this entry? Not only is it a good Godzilla movie, it also serves as the perfect starting point. If you ever wanted to introduce someone to the franchise, but worried they wouldn't like the old ones, I'd say 2000 is the perfect way to start. With its movie theater quality feel, a great soundtrack, and a high-octane final fight, I'd say it's the definite Godzilla film. It's my third favorite, and I'd recommend it as the perfect starting point to the franchise. Way too underrated.
Last edited by Destroyer on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

tymon
Futurian

Re: Godzilla 2000, an underrated masterpiece

Post by tymon »

I agree that it's underrated, and it's also my third favorite (with only Mothra vs. Godzilla and the original beating it out). Nostalgia aside, it's a fun film - a fantastic, modern Godzilla design, great pacing that only drags once, simple yet likeable characters, great special effects (despite the "off" shots that we all could have done without, particularly CGI problems), a cool (and new!) opponent, a familiar plot that doesn't take itself too seriously, and wonderful cinematography, lighting and direction. The Hattori/J. Peter Robinson/Ifukube combination score is downright epic the whole way through, and I would like to see Robinson compose for the upcoming Legendary film.

Note that I'm referring to the US version - I still haven't seen the Japanese version, but am very curious to after all the reading I've done on it.

This film doesn't get a whole lotta love at TK, it seems to rank as either "ok" or "bad" to most users. It has its fair share of glaring flaws, sure, but what post-1968 Godzilla film doesn't? Godzilla 2000 is a very fun, simple and exciting film to me, and has been since that good ol' summer of 00.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Godzilla 2000 has its weak spots, like pacing issues, an unoriginal opponent monster, and a plot that wasn't fully explored to the extent I feel some viewers wanted. When you take a step back and look at the film, it was a comparatively weak kick off to a new series when you consider the original 1954 (even if it was not intended to pave the way to a franchise) or RoG/G85. After seeing all of the G movies, I don't find it to be much more than mediocre as well. All of that negativity aside, I do like the movie, do think it's under-rated, and do disagree with some of the hate.

Edit: Wow, looks like my opinion has changed a good bit in recent months.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Tohosaurus wrote:pacing issues, a plot that wasn't fully explored to the extent I feel some viewers wanted.
..And how is that different than any other Millennium (or Heisei for that matter) Godzilla film?
When you take a step back and look at the film, it was a comparatively weak kick off to a new series when you consider the original 1954 (even if it was not intended to pave the way to a franchise) or RoG/G85.
Yeah, that's probably true. I haven't seen Godzilla (1984) in its entirety yet, and haven't seen the US version in nearly a decade, so I can't judge that one from a critical standpoint in comparison to Godzilla (54) and Godzilla 2000 quite yet. I can haz bootleg?
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

tymon wrote:
Tohosaurus wrote:pacing issues, a plot that wasn't fully explored to the extent I feel some viewers wanted.
..And how is that different than any other Millennium (or Heisei for that matter) Godzilla film?

Yeah, that's probably true. I haven't seen Godzilla (1984) in its entirety yet, and haven't seen the US version in nearly a decade, so I can't judge that one from a critical standpoint in comparison to Godzilla (54) and Godzilla 2000 quite yet. I can haz bootleg?
I don't think pacing was a problem for much of the Millennium or Heisei. Mothra, Spacegodzilla, and G2K are the only films from those two Godzilla eras that I would say had pacing issues. This is but my opinion. :angel:

As for G85, I'd wait for the new movie, which should spur some new releases. I'd say a G85 DVD and BD release are very likely.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^I'll pick up a legit R1 release as it becomes available, but that may not be for a long while, and I want to see it ASAP. I might be a good boy though and just pick up the legit R3 release, despite the non-anamorphic video...I got an SD 4x3 set around here somewhere...

Same with Godzilla 2000, gotta see the original version even though I'm already sure it's going to be inferior to the US cut..

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Legion1979 wrote:I know a lot of people love it, but I've never before heard anyone call it a masterpiece.
That would be because it's not.

Don't get me wrong, it gets a lot more flak than it deserves. But there sure as Hell are of a lot of legitimate criticisms of it, too.
Proud father, husband, and son.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

It was rushed an it showed, that's why i don't consider it a ''Masterpiece''

It was out what a year after the American Godzilla in Japan?

- The plot was Unoriginal
- Didn't really care for the Godzilla suit this time around
- The City minatures didn't look as good as it did during the Heisei series
- The CGI shot of Godzilla under-water was terrible
- Regenerator G or whatever was an interesting addition to the story, but was executed poorly
- The little girl was a annoying as ''miki'' got during the Heisei series
- Serious pacing issues, comes with most Godzilla films except a minor few though

It was entertaining in a Campy, Silly, way but to me personally it was far from Masterpiece.. Godzilla 1985 to me owns that title

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

An underrated masterpiece? Hardly.

GODZILLA 2000 is decent, bu nott much about it stands out except for some nice miniature work here and there. Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by Goji on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

RogueShuffler
Monsterland Worker

Post by RogueShuffler »

G2000 is one of my top Godzilla films. I loved the new suit, as well as the CGI enhanced charge of Godzilla's beam. It just looked like he was gearing up to do a whole lotta whoop ass, and reminded me of some move outta Dragon Ball Z, it just screamed "Dont mess with me". Regenerater-G was a cool insight into the workings of the beast, and I really enjoyed the UFO/Orga plot. I found it to be a great, original movie in a franchise that is over 20 films and running, so its difficult to get it right every time. A lot of the complaints about the movie could really apply to any of the godzilla movies really. Absolutely underrated.
This valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:It was rushed an it showed, that's why i don't consider it a ''Masterpiece''

It was out what a year after the American Godzilla in Japan?

- The plot was Unoriginal
- Didn't really care for the Godzilla suit this time around
- The City minatures didn't look as good as it did during the Heisei series
- The CGI shot of Godzilla under-water was terrible
- Regenerator G or whatever was an interesting addition to the story, but was executed poorly

- Serious pacing issues, comes with most Godzilla films except a minor few though
Pretty much my same opinion.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

By the way, I'm referring to the American version, not the Japanese one.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

I enjoyed this movie, it is easily my second favorite Godzilla movie besides Gojira'54 ofcourse. Sure it was not an 'orginal' monster but i thought it was still an interesting idea overall have it asorb Godzilla's DNA
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

http://pokemunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

"Promethus has landed"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I really do wish I understand what so many of you see in this film. I want to like it more...but I just can't. I do think it's a better film than MEGAGUIRUS, just not quite as much fun.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Mainly matter of opinion. Some can see different things in it that others can't. Its definitely not a masterpiece, far from it, but i still find it a higly enjoyable movie.
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Does nostalgia have anything to do with it? Just curious.

I was already 15 by the time this hit theaters, and at the time, I was less than impressed. I've come to appreciate the film over time, and definitely don't think it's bad..but I feel like a lot of younger fans tend to let their memories of seeing this in a theater color their opinion of how "good" they thing the film is. Obviously, that's okay; I do the same thing with the 70's films.

I've just noticed that older fans tend to be pretty "meh" about the film, while those who experienced it in the theater tend to have it as one of their favorites. There are (obviously) exceptions to this rule. It's just something I noticed over the years.

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Ill admit, when first saw it yea it was Nostalgia towrads it. But i still enjoy watching it even on regualr dvd without Nostalgia memories. Now i agree its not on par with say Gojira'54 or Godzilla'84 but i still think its a step up than majority of the Millienium series. Hell i sort of even liked it better than GMK lol

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

Goji wrote:Does nostalgia have anything to do with it? Just curious.

I was already 15 by the time this hit theaters, and at the time, I was less than impressed. I've come to appreciate the film over time, and definitely don't think it's bad..but I feel like a lot of younger fans tend to let their memories of seeing this in a theater color their opinion of how "good" they thing the film is. Obviously, that's okay; I do the same thing with the 70's films.

I've just noticed that older fans tend to be pretty "meh" about the film, while those who experienced it in the theater tend to have it as one of their favorites. There are (obviously) exceptions to this rule. It's just something I noticed over the years.
Well, I never got to see it in the theater sadly, only on TV and later on DVD. (I was 4 when it came out.) I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I just really think that this movie is great, I could never get over Orga trying to swallow Godzilla.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

When I first watched this movie, I really enjoyed it as a kid. When I was in 6th grade, this was one of my favorite Godzilla movies, and I thought it was kind of like a reboot that anyone could like. I sort of thought of it as the Batman Begins of Godzilla.

Years later I decided to watch it. I felt quite disappointed. This movie was rushed, and you can tell. A lot of the effects after the opening scene of Godzilla look incredibly poor. The orga suit (and the final fight) look really poor.

I might need to give this a re-watch sometime, but this movie is far from a masterpiece. The only Godzilla movie I would dare call a "masterpiece" is Gojira.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Godzilla 2000 is the Stereotypical Godzilla film. by which I mean, it sums up the entire franchise as a whole and does a damn good job at it.
It combines all 3 characteristics of all 3 series and can be fit into any of each's continuity.

What I find interesting abut it is how striking it looks compared to the other Millenium Godzilla films. It looks older than it is, in the way its shot and on what film they used. It's brilliant.

Furthermore, people often mistake Final Wars as a throwback to the Showa era. They are wrong. Just because the monsters do stupid things and there's alot of them, doesn't make it more like a Showa film. If anything, Final Wars is a huge step back, rather than a step forward. Godzilla 2000 however matches the plot structure and visual style of a 60's Godzilla film to the T. It's perfect. Godzilla is also most similar in attitude to that Godzilla. Also in terms of music. Everything about that film is Showa. Godzilla 2000, like the Showa films, also wrks as a film you can jump right into. With the Heisei series, and all the Millenium films, they rely on back story and previous films' continuities. Godzilla 2000 doesn't need any exposition or previous viewing, much like a Showa film. It's just a straight forward, old fashioned, Godzilla film. It's a PERFECT throwback. One little thing I love, is like in the 70's films, you get that hyper close up shot of character's squinting to flashing light.

It's a perfect Godzilla film and it defines the entire franchise in a nutshell.
I only wish it was called Godzilla vs. Orga, like I call it, instead of Godzilla 2000, because 2000 dates it.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/