Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Destroyer
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla 2000, an underrated masterpiece

Post by Destroyer »

I thought it had a lot of the good elements from the previous film.

Godzilla not a hero, but more of an anti-hero
I LOVE the suit, it's still to this day my favorite look, along with the Final Wars one
Pacing was good (in the American version anyway)
It's the PERFECT jumping on point. It's the film I would recommend to new fans.
Good soundtrack
Very good monster fight, felt like a real, climatic showdown
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

Godzilla 2000 is not really one of my personal favorites, but I still enjoy it, & I would consider it underrated.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:I do like this film a lot, perhaps my favorite from the Millenium series. I didn't like it much when I was younger, but the older I became the more I liked it.
Cool, I'll never forget when first saw commercials for it I was screaming in excitement, and when it came out, I was fearing out, in fact I went and saw it like four times at the theaters. I still like it for what is, though I'm not sure if I would put on my top 10 list.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

Varan58
Samurai

Post by Varan58 »

Going into this film at the age of 10 I was incredibly confused, since a friend had informed me that it was a sequel to GINO. And that King Ghidorah was involved...

I like this one okay, but it's far from one of my favorites. The only thing that really stands out for me is Godzilla's design, which is probably my favorite of the Millennium series. I still have yet to obtain a copy of the original version, though admittedly the dub job is pretty entertaining.

thatsoundman
Monarch Researcher

Post by thatsoundman »

Rody wrote:Question: what was the big deal about those CD's that Miyasaka took away from Shinoda?
what was agreed to was that he was to get all research that shinoda had done to that point, but, those disks were blank one's that his daughter had brought instead, that was why they were running just after he got them.

seeing i cannot double post i might as well edit my own......

my favorite scene is the one where the 5 or 6 jets come at godzilla from different directions, come at him and then go straight up into the air, escaping his wrath.... 8-)

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Whether or not you consider it the best Godzilla film of the Millennium Series(Sure Godzilla doesn't do as much cool stuff as in the later films, if that's all you really care about. If any Millennium Era film gets a pass for this by fans, its GMK), it is certainly the best made film. Its the only modern Godzilla movie I've seen, that when out of context FEELS like a real movie, and by "real" I mean like, not constricted by what became standards in Godzilla films.

First thing's first, Godzilla 2000 has a very unique look. The way its shot, edited, and the level of film grain that saturates the film, is of extremely high quality, and reminiscent of Showa Godzilla films more so than any Godzilla film made since the Showa Era. Its all very organic, contrary to the boring, sterile and clean look of GxM onward. What's also organic is the setting. This is possibly the most realistic look we've had of Japan in, well, any film since the 60's. The setting looks so natural, combining traditional Japanese environments, modern things we can relate to, and technology we actually HAVE AND USE. Again, it stretches back to the 60's period. Watch Godzilla 2000, then watch, say, Megaguirus or Mechagodzilla('03) immediately after. You'll see a stark difference in setting and visuals. Godzilla 2000 feels more down to earth, gritty, and most importantly, REAL.

Another way this film is a throwback is in its narratives and characters. Lets examine the narrative. Its very simple. Alien monster comes to Earth to take it over, Godzilla saves the day. Very 60's. But lets examine further. There's a scene in the film where Toki is asking where the GPN is, and we're treated to a fun little moment of physical comedy. What other films in the entire Heisei-Millenium Era had time for a little moment like this? They were all too busy throwing techno babble and forced character development at the audience to allow the film to breathe. Godzilla 2000 has many little moments like this. Its world comes more alive than other Godzilla films due to how well this film tells story through characters doing everyday things. Kind of like Honda's directing technique, don;t you think? Little things, like a pencil pusher seeing the spaceship through the mirror he's cutting his nose hairs in, or the skeptical shopkeeper. These detailed perspectives are absent from all the modern Godzilla films I can think of. Well, you have some of that in GMK, I guess, but in every instance, the people are total assholes. Dog abusing drunkards, ungrateful, annoying boards, dickbag motorcyclists, a cocksure cop, and a forced suicidal cameo. None of it felt right. The people didn't feel real. When you have a simple plot such as Godzilla 200's, that gives you the room to add immeasurable amounts of depth to it. This is where a lot of other Godzilla films fail. They try to fit too complex a plot within too short a movie to the point where characters are just tools to get to one scene to another. Its all very shallow. You want a complex movie about Time Travel, WWII, the birth of Godzilla, Two King Ghidorah's, terrorists, Yoshio Tsuchiya, and this writer dude struggling to write a book while being an asshole to his girlfriend(?)?, make the movie 3 hours long. Don't cram it all into 90 minutes.

The main characters themselves are extremely complex for a Godzilla film, and as result, are the most strong and memorable of the Millennium Series. So many motives and flaws bouncing around its ridiculous. Pretty much 60% of the film is about the characters. The triangle between Katigiri, Shinoda, and Masayo, is extremely entertaining, as they all want the same thing but are going about them different ways, and have to deal with how that effects their relationships with each other. The movie also outlines their flaws pretty well. One of the main cruxes of the film is Shinoda's daughter, as it provides one of the key emotional parts of the film. The movie sets up the Shinoda is overly obsessed with his work, and Io, somewhat neglected, is forced to take care of him. This flips later on when, much to her displeasure, a mother figure(Toki) is brought into her life and is trying to take care of her(If unintentionally at first). Even though its insinuated that there can be a romance between Shinoda and Toki, the real relationship is formed between Toki and his daughter. I love the scene where Io thinks her father is dead in the tower and she finally finds him, and the camera shows the reactions of the three of them. Toki's expression is notably the most interesting. By the way, that scene is like nothing ever done before in a Godzilla film. Compare Ken's distant relationship with his father in Godzilla vs. Hedorah, and the lame, annoyingly directionless relationship between that scientist dude and his daughter in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. The scene in the elevator shaft is one of the most tender, real, and intimate, human scenes in the entire Godzilla canon. How often is such affection shown in a Godzilla film?

I can go on about how great the Special Effects are for a Godzilla film, or how incredible the lighting is,(compared to most rest of the Heisei and Millennium series, which is so un-creative, flat and boring)the amazing soundtrack(Best of the Millennium series), and the "only real Godzilla film I've seen in theaters". But its already been said.

I will end on one aspect no one talks about. The writing. The dialogue in this movie, as far as Godzilla movies go, the most quotable I've heard. This can be attributed to the dub writers, obviously. But even though its a dub, they did a damn good job. The dialogue punctuates each character so perfectly, and feels so GOD DAMN REAL. I love the line "Nice Try Asshole". I also love the "Flowers" thing. That was great. Its so static and fun, even the bad lines.It just feels so natural, I love it. And it suits the characters and situations on display so well. You never hear dialogue as well written in ANY Godzilla film as you will here. That is just truth. In English, anyway.

It also deserves credit for adding a considerable amount to the mythos. It gives us the GPN. This is something that WOULD exist in a world where Godzilla exists. A Prediction Network. The director, as does our main character, understands that Godzilla is a force of nature, not something that can be killed. And this "GPN" idea, relays that message to the audience in a very natural way. Its also extremely realistic. No ridiculous Mechs or Black Hole Guns, just an alarm system for when Godzilla will be in your area. It makes sense dammit, and I wish the series went MORE in that direction in the subsequent films. But no, they had to fuck everything up with G-Graspers, Guardian Monsters, Mutant Defense Forces, and Giant Robots made out of (in canon)non-existent skeletons. Another thing the movie gave us was Orga. He was cool. Most importantly however, we have an answer to what fans have been wondering for years. Regenerator G-1. the fact that they explain why Godzilla is invulnerable makes this one of the most important films in the franchise. We actually get some character development for the character we've known for 50 years. We know more about him now. That's important. we have progress.

I'll also say this is possibly the most accessible Godzilla film for mainstream audiences and for watching with friends, as you don't need to know ANYTHING going into it, except what Godzilla is. What I love is that yo can easily fit this film into the Showa canon. Just have it take place 30 years after TOMG. It'd be a nice bookend to that series, and a much better ending than TOMG. It resolves some technicalities about Godzilla and clarifies some philosophy about him, and it shows how much Godzilla films have changed since '54. It works perfectly as a finale to the Showa series. Perfectly.

Well, that's my post for the month.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

^This whole post makes me want to watch the film again, you summed it up perfectly.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Legion1979 wrote:It's boring. I sat there in a theater in 2000 wondering why the holy hell I wasn't enjoying it. And the Japanese version is even worse.

Damn, that's sad.
I have to agree. The pacing is god awful. I was around 5 when I saw this in the theater, I don't know how I stayed awake. I actually prefer GODZILLA (1998). Now, let's be civil and not crucify me for my opinion ;)
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

I'm currently watching it, taking a break for lunch. I'll post a review afterward. But I gotta say that this is THE definitive Godzilla film. And I find the pacing (American version) to be well enough. And the Godzilla look is by far my favorite, love those spikes.
I actually prefer GODZILLA (1998)
For shame man, for shame. ;)

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Destroyer wrote: But I gotta say that this is THE definitive Godzilla film.
....What?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

^Not 'the best' G film. When I say definitive, I mean the one to look at for getting new fans. It's the perfect jumping on point, it brings a lot of the solid elements from past films. Combine with the most realistic atmosphere from any G film, you have a solid movie.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

If I was trying to convert someone into a fan, I don't want them to think the whole series is boring as hell. I'd show'em Final Wars, yeah it sucks but it's anything but boring for the most part.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Destroyer wrote:^Not 'the best' G film. When I say definitive, I mean the one to look at for getting new fans. It's the perfect jumping on point, it brings a lot of the solid elements from past films. Combine with the most realistic atmosphere from any G film, you have a solid movie.
The last thing I would want to do is deter a new fan by showing them a film that bores even Godzilla fans to death.
Last edited by Goji on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

I still don't understand how this film bores people, the human characters were actually interesting for once.

And yes, Final Wars is also the way to do it.
Last edited by Destroyer on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:If I was trying to convert someone into a fan, I don't want them to think the whole series is boring as hell. .
Um, I don't think anyone would want to do that. Not everyone thinks it's boring, obviously.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

It's not really on topic, but the movie you show to someone who is interested really depends on the person in question.

I would without a doubt show Final Wars to someone between 8 and 12. I wouldn't show someone in my film school Final Wars (or anything from the nineties for that matter) to try and convince them that Godzilla is a legitimate franchise.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

1. When trying to get new Godzilla fans, One should go for an older movie first. With all the special effects, and flashy modernity, they'll only gravitate towards those films and find the remainder rather dull. They won't be real Godzilla fans. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, TRUE Godzilla fans are made as children. To a child, there's no foreseeable difference between Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah. This unbiased perspective, topped with suspension of disbelief, mixed with the seeds of nostalgia, are the ingredients for a Godzilla fan. I'd only show Godzilla: Final Wars to one of my current friends if I wanted them to hate Godzilla. Why? Because they're not fucking -------- and know a piece of shit when they see one.

2. I don;t know how people will say this film is boring? What constitutes boredom for you? If its a lack of Monster battles, then how did you survive Monster Zero, TOMG, or even ROG? There are Godzilla films with substantially less going on in terms of monsters than this one. And if revelations on Godzilla's character, and a narrative focused on human characters bores you....well that's kind of horrible isn't it? That's not the film's fault. Its' yours. Go back to your shallow crap, then. Godzilla 2000 tries, and succeeds, at being the most inviting, engaging, human, and REAL Godzilla film of the modern age. Sorry if you want Giant Robots, Doomsday Devices, and Characters that puddles out-depth. I will also say that Godzilla 2000, for me at least, is a proven win with friends. All of my friends, all of whom aren't Godzilla fans, like the movie a lot. They did not respond so well to GMK, which I find funny.

DISCLAIMER: Robots and Doomsday devices are fine, as long as they're handled well. Which they never really are in recent Godzilla films.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
Let's dance.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Svitska Donkun wrote:2. I don;t know how people will say this film is boring? What constitutes boredom for you?
Takao Okawara's direction for one. His films have a rather unenthusiastic feel to them, it's no secret Okawara wasn't too fond of the seires. His skills have improved since the Heisei series though, and this is easily his best Godzilla film.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Ethan wrote:
Svitska Donkun wrote:2. I don;t know how people will say this film is boring? What constitutes boredom for you?
Takao Okawara's direction for one. His films have a rather unenthusiastic feel to them, it's no secret Okawara wasn't too fond of the seires. His skills have improved since the Heisei series though, and this is easily his best Godzilla film.
This is far too vague. What do you mean by "Direction"? As far as directing goes among Godzilla films, this one is the closest anyone has ever gotten to emulating Honda in terms of raw style.
Let's dance.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Legion1979 wrote:
Svitska Donkun wrote:
This is far too vague. What do you mean by "Direction"? As far as directing goes among Godzilla films, this one is the closest anyone has ever gotten to emulating Honda in terms of raw style.
Really? Really??

Than why did I almost fall asleep? I LOVE Honda's stuff.

Uhm, I'm not you, so I don't know why you fell asleep. That's a stupid question. I love Stanley Kubrick and his style, but that didn't stop me from falling asleep during Barry Lyndon. I explained earlier the emphasis the film places on characters in their natural everyday environment, whether minor characters or major. And its emphasis on the film's family dynamic. And the Friendship triangle thing. These are all themes Honda LOVED to insert into his monster movies. I've also explained how the setting is extremely similar in style, just accounting for computers, pretty much. Okawara's use of shots also emulates Honda's/. Where he puts his camera in relation to the characters and setting are all very reminiscent. Even the music choice is fairly classical, in terms of the Godzilla canon. I wish I could go through the film with you and point out all the similarities one by one, because they are just too innumerable to list.

Lets look at the Frontier Missile Assault sequence. Doesn't that whole scene, pre-Orga showing up, mirror Military vs. Monster assault scenes from the Showa series perfectly? Usually by this point in the series, and onward, battles were fought in rooms far away, or from a cockpit. Never with ground troops in tents on the front line, like they were done in the old days. The whole scene screams "Trap from KKvs.G", or "Lightning Tower Assualt", or "Maser vs. Gaira" to me whenever I watch it. Its such a nostalgic, classic, and classy approach to a Godzilla vs. Military sequence.
Let's dance.