Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Post by shadowgigan »

Ok, seems like Wakasa probably just took the final design and make the suit. In the interview he said it was "all Nishikawa" for the most part. So it probably went Nishikawa's design --> Sakai's Marquette --> Wakasa's Suit.

I need to get that Nishikawa book.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GigaBowserG wrote: If you're referring to this one...
That's the one, thanks for the correction.

I've always liked Sakai's sculpt. Too bad Wakasa built the costumes.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Watched the Japanese version for the first time today. I know it's widely seen as the inferior version, but outside of a few soundscape differences, I honestly found it to be just as good as the TriStar version. There's undoubtedly some bias in this as G2K is one of my favorite Godzilla movies, but there weren't any moments where I really felt I should be watching the TriStar version instead. It felt pretty much the same, outside of those aformentioned soundscape differences.

The Japanese version actually has some sound design differences that I prefer, such as the sounds (or lack thereof) of the UFO. The TriStar version's overly science fictiony noises really pale in comparison to the ominous humming in the Japanese version.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't think there's really anything wrong with either version of the film, they're both suitable for their intended audiences. The original version feels much more like a Japanese flick while the TriStar cut feels (and sounds) much more like a Hollywood movie. The best thing TriStar did was remove some SFX blunders that made it into the final (Japanese) cut. Other than that, I actually think the TriStar sound mix is a typically overwhelming Hollywood job. The new music is irritating and doesn't blend well with Hattori's score. I don't really like either version of the film, but when I do watch it, I've come to prefer the experience of the Japanese version.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

I have seen both versions and both are decent overall. Not much to stand out from the crowd but not bad either.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

I always wondered why the suit didn't really look like the concept.

I definitely would have preferred the Nishikawa/Sakai design over Wakasa's, but the final product wasn't bad, so whatever.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I might be wrong, but I think the fins from the beta designs made their way into Orga's metamophosizing form.

Note how "downwards facing" they are. G2K's spines go directly back, while Orga's start to spiral downwards.

Orga is such a weird monster because it essentially has three forms, but no one ever really talks about the "Godzillafied" form.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I myself am quite fond of G'2000 on a sentimental level as my father taking a very young me to see it in theaters is actually the very first time I have a clear recollection of seeing a movie in theaters. It's certainly flawed and I agree with some others' sentiments that it seems to be a very middle of the road kind of Godzilla movie. Still, for a rush job the fact it's decent is kinda commendable. I do genuinely like the setting and characters and wish we got to see more of it develop. It's one reason why I distinctly dislike the Millennium era for the constant reboots as aside from GMK and 2000, none of them actually made good use of that reboot opportunity.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Most fondness for this film is likely because we saw it in the theaters instead of the tv. The theater experience certainly gives me more appreciation for the film, as well as the way the audience reacted to the film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

One of my childhood favourites with one of the coolest Godzilla designs ever in my opinion, and Orga is absolutely badass too.

By the way, does anyone somehow have a recipe for the fried riceballs that appear briefly in the film? They look so good and I used to think they were big chicken nuggets or hasbrowns when I was a little kid.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

KasZilla
Yojimbo

Post by KasZilla »

AllosaurHell wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 am One of my childhood favourites with one of the coolest Godzilla designs ever in my opinion, and Orga is absolutely badass too.

By the way, does anyone somehow have a recipe for the fried riceballs that appear briefly in the film? They look so good and I used to think they were big chicken nuggets or hasbrowns when I was a little kid.
Lol I always thought they were salmon patties

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It really wasn't any more rushed than the typical Toho Godzilla film, especially the other '90s and 2000s movies.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

AllosaurHell wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 am One of my childhood favourites with one of the coolest Godzilla designs ever in my opinion, and Orga is absolutely badass too.

It's "hashbrowns", btw. Just letting you know. I think the way you wrote it is kind of funny, though; I couldn't help but notice it when I read it. It reminded me of the word "has beans" from Roald Dahl's book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:26 am

It's "hashbrowns", btw. Just letting you know. I think the way you wrote it is kind of funny, though; I couldn't help but notice it when I read it. It reminded me of the word "has beans" from Roald Dahl's book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
LOL I honestly didn't even know there was a typo until you guys let me know haha.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I love this movie, but I always have certain trouble watching it: I hate most of the dubbing, yet I love the upgraded sound design and editing of the US cut. Has anyone ever considered constructing a cut of this film with the original Japanese dialogue, but with all of the bells and whistles of the American version? That would be so damn cool.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:42 pm I love this movie, but I always have certain trouble watching it: I hate most of the dubbing, yet I love the upgraded sound design and editing of the US cut. Has anyone ever considered constructing a cut of this film with the original Japanese dialogue, but with all of the bells and whistles of the American version? That would be so damn cool.
I attempted to try this, but couldn't find the proper materials to do so/couldn't get the files to work in my editing software.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Hmmm. I know nothing about the technical details of a project like this, but I might have to try and tackle it someday.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:42 pm I love this movie, but I always have certain trouble watching it: I hate most of the dubbing, yet I love the upgraded sound design and editing of the US cut.
One of my never-gonna-happen fan dreams is Sony offering the US cut with Japanese audio and English subtitles. No other changes. That's the ideal version of this movie in my opinion.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

My second Godzilla movie ever. Rewatched it last night and i love it, even more than i did when i was a kid.

I’m also back to loving MireGoji. Now i remember why i loved the design so much as a kid :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Tohosaurus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:16 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:42 pm I love this movie, but I always have certain trouble watching it: I hate most of the dubbing, yet I love the upgraded sound design and editing of the US cut.
One of my never-gonna-happen fan dreams is Sony offering the US cut with Japanese audio and English subtitles. No other changes. That's the ideal version of this movie in my opinion.
That would be an amazing development. I imagine it would be difficult but I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a fan-edit of something like that unless I've totally missed it

That would just be really neat. Maybe for the anniversary of 2000

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu