Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:01 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:The Hattori score is a really good listen on it's own, you guys should listen to it sometime.

Agreed. I honestly kind of prefer it to most of the Robinson score.

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:52 am

For some unknown reason whenever I watch this film...
I always end up eating pizza during it.

The American dub/edit is pretty awful...but the original
Japanese cut is more watchable.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Postby GojiDude95 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:48 pm

So I finally got to see the original ver of the film and there's this scene where the military attacks Godzilla. Out of nowhere Godzilla starts to charge his beam and for some reason doesn't fire it?
The American ver decided to cut this out.
I honesty prefer the American ver. To me it feels more dynamic.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:50 pm

GojiDude95 wrote:So I finally got to see the original ver of the film and there's this scene where the military attacks Godzilla. Out of nowhere Godzilla starts to charge his beam and for some reason doesn't fire it?

Agreed. The updated music and sounds effects, and the cuts to tighten things, honestly results in one of the few versions where the dub trumps the original, for me- and I believe the filmmakers of this one agreed.

It's good to watch the Japanese version at least once, because it adds some context and detail missing in the U.S. version; but generally, the U.S. version is just a better watch. It has more life and energy.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Zarm wrote:
GojiDude95 wrote:So I finally got to see the original ver of the film and there's this scene where the military attacks Godzilla. Out of nowhere Godzilla starts to charge his beam and for some reason doesn't fire it?

Agreed. The updated music and sounds effects, and the cuts to tighten things, honestly results in one of the few versions where the dub trumps the original, for me- and I believe the filmmakers of this one agreed.

It's good to watch the Japanese version at least once, because it adds some context and detail missing in the U.S. version; but generally, the U.S. version is just a better watch. It has more life and energy.

While I appreciate the extra context and information the Japanese cut has ALOT, the US cut is a much better film altogether. Whats funny is that Toho also shares this view seeing as they did do a theatrical re release of the US cut of G2K.

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:12 am

I was stunned when I finally saw the Japanese version of the film. Take out the music and sound effects provided in the US cut and it really takes away a lot of the energy of the film, and those 9 minutes or so that were cut for the US edit were absolutely necessary because just about all of it is dead footage that slows down the pace of the film.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:48 am

GojiDog wrote:I was stunned when I finally saw the Japanese version of the film. Take out the music and sound effects provided in the US cut and it really takes away a lot of the energy of the film, and those 9 minutes or so that were cut for the US edit were absolutely necessary because just about all of it is dead footage that slows down the pace of the film.

Agreed; although I do like that it expands a bit on Shinoda's investigation at the start, and especially on the nature and plan of the Millenians. That's why I feel like it's worth a watch once, to get that info- then you can just keep it in mind as headcanon when you watch the US cut from then-on. :)

My benchmark is the mini-sub scene. In the U.S. cut, with the already-excellent visuals, the ethereal music, and sound effects, that scene is really mesmerizing; beautiful, and a bit breathtaking (especially in the theater). In the Japanese cut, it's just kind of... flat. It's still pretty, but lacking the wonder. That encapsulates the difference between the two edits perfectly, for me.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:41 pm

It actually kind of interests me that this one US cut is so good, whereas most of them are generally agreed to be inferior. Clearly this team had an actual appreciation for the material, and none of the cynicism that pervades, say, Godzilla 1985 (although there's one or two aspects of Godzilla 1985 I love). Wasn't this team partially involved in making a kind-of sequel that was going to use suitmation and be directed by Joe Dante? That I would have loved to see.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Other then Godzilla's regeneration/healing powers and durability finally being explained via his G1 cells and the fight with Orga, I consider this to be a fairly forgettable movie.

tymon
EDF Soldier

Postby tymon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:59 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote: Wasn't this team partially involved in making a kind-of sequel that was going to use suitmation and be directed by Joe Dante? That I would have loved to see.

Ah man, imagine a suitmation film with CGI as a supplement, produced with an American budget. That would be the ultimate Godzilla movie for me.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:03 am

Does anyone else think Orga is worthy of another film appearance?

I don't why...but I really like the concept of an adaptive alien sampling
DNA to make itself capable of surviving on & taking over Earth.

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 am

Grievous wrote:Does anyone else think Orga is worthy of another film appearance?

I don't why...but I really like the concept of an adaptive alien sampling
DNA to make itself capable of surviving on & taking over Earth.

honestly? Orga's probably the best choice for a alien kaiju in the Monsterverse.

His origins are the most believable, he's got interesting powers, is associated with one of the few Japanese films the. GA are aware of, you can do the alien invaders and alien plot with him, and there's this element of tragedy to him that would be a lot of fun to see explored.

so, yeah. I say Orga would make a great fit there.

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:22 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Honestly? Orga's probably the best choice for a alien kaiju in the Monsterverse.

His origins are the most believable, he's got interesting powers, is associated with one of the few Japanese films the. GA are aware of, you can do the alien invaders and alien plot with him, and there's this element of tragedy to him that would be a lot of fun to see explored.

so, yeah. I say Orga would make a great fit there.

That's a fair call...

:thumbsup:

And the idea of Orga/aliens raiding a Monarch facility & combining
DNA from samples, fossils & corpses would be really creepy to see.
Last edited by Grievous on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:20 am

'Tragic' is a word I've never seen associated with Orga before. He spent his whole movie destroying and plundering with no visible qualms, even doing things like shooting down helicopters for no reason. And his elaborate, showoffy piloting style implied a lot of cocky attitude. He just came across as a jerk that deserved exactly what he got.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:24 am

JAGzilla wrote:'Tragic' is a word I've never seen associated with Orga before. He spent his whole movie destroying and plundering with no visible qualms, even doing things like shooting down helicopters for no reason. And his elaborate, showoffy piloting style implied a lot of cocky attitude. He just came across as a jerk that deserved exactly what he got.

I don't think people see the UFO/Millenians as tragic, per se- but Orga, the resulting creation, as a tragic figure because of the horrible mutation that he underwent. He tried to become a new Godzilla, but it all went horribly wrong, leaving him in a twisted, mutated body that was leagues from the creature he wanted to be- and possibly, some think from his howls, in considerable pain. That's not to say he isn't a villain- but he's still seen (by some) as a tragic villain for the form that his machinations trapped him in.

#ProLife

Maranatha!

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:03 pm

I recently saw Godzilla 2000: Millennium (the Japanese edition) on Sony's Blu-ray and I must say that I loved it!

Call me a purist if you like, but I just love seeing Japanese daikaiju films and TV shows exactly as they were meant to be seen-in their entirety, with nothing added and nothing taken out. This would've been inconceivable to me when I was a kid.

I noticed, however, that it was subtitled and not dubtitled; as an example, two of Katagiri's most famous lines, "I'll send flowers" and "Looks like I'll have to send more flowers", which I remember from the American version when I saw it in a theater, were totally different in the Japanese version. The only mistake that they made in the subtitles that I could see was in calling the G-cell by the name "Regenerator G-1", instead of "Organizer G-1", which was what the characters were clearly saying in Japanese (and which, IIRC, is the term from which Orga got his name from). Ah well, nothing's perfect.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:30 pm

mikelcho wrote:I recently saw Godzilla 2000: Millennium (the Japanese edition) on Sony's Blu-ray and I must say that I loved it!

Call me a purist if you like, but I just love seeing Japanese daikaiju films and TV shows exactly as they were meant to be seen-in their entirety, with nothing added and nothing taken out.

Purist?

I wouldn't say that.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to see a film in its "original" form.

:thumbsup:

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:27 am

Zarm wrote:
I don't think people see the UFO/Millenians as tragic, per se- but Orga, the resulting creation, as a tragic figure because of the horrible mutation that he underwent. He tried to become a new Godzilla, but it all went horribly wrong, leaving him in a twisted, mutated body that was leagues from the creature he wanted to be- and possibly, some think from his howls, in considerable pain. That's not to say he isn't a villain- but he's still seen (by some) as a tragic villain for the form that his machinations trapped him in.

I somehow missed this post when it first went up. Weird.

Anyway, that's much more understandable, but not at all the way I ever interpreted Orga's reaction to his new form. I always took for granted that he knew what he was doing, expected a halfway finished body based on the amount of Regenerator G1 he'd absorbed, and had just banked on being able to finish the job more efficiently (and maybe satisfyingly) in physical combat than in his ship.

It's been a few years since I've seen the movie, though. I'll have to look at it from this alterative angle next time.

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:21 am

So, I rewatched the original Japanese dub of this movie a few days ago, and whilst I still maintain that the American version is the superior one between the two, the conversation at the end is vastly superior and makes so much more sense in the Japanese dub. Instead of being a bit cheesy, the end sequence is a lot more atmospheric and somber in the latter, ending the film on a very bittersweet note.

The whole, “Godzilla is inside each one of us”, line is much more poignant in the Japanese version. I audibly went, “holy poop”, when the film ended because I hadn’t watched the original dub in ages, and had completely forgotten about how differently set up the ending was from the American version.

#BotM

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:52 am

What does the line "Godzilla is inside each one of us" supposed to mean?

Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”