Monster Discussion: Megaguirus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Monster Discussion: Megaguirus

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Living Corpse wrote:Easily one of the best Toho monsters in recent years. She wasn't some overpowered badass like Mechagodzilla but still managed to beat the shit out of Godzilla and almost won. Godzilla really just won because of dumb luck. It was nice to get a monster who didn't just curb stomped Godzilla, she had to earn her victory and almost did and at times it seemed like it could go either way when Godzilla made come backs and managed to finally land some decent damage on her. Her wicked personally, taunting and slasher smile was something we hadn't seen since the 70's from foes like Gigan.

Like the old Showa films where Godzilla wasn't OP and it really felt like the fight could go either way.
I think you've summed up my exact thoughts about her. Yeah it was lame how Godzilla won. She kept speeding around but after Godzilla bites her tail suddenly it's like she has to remain still so Godzilla can nicely roast her.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzilla has the luck of the devil. Just when it seems like he will be punished for all the lives he has taken, he overcomes a monster who should/did win by all rights.

Is it any wonder why the country see's him as a demon even when he's good?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's sad we'll never see a Megagurius vs Rodan type matchup since the meganulon were first introduced in Rodan where the baby rodan snacked on a bunch. I feel like the comics should do something like that oh well. I feel like Rodan would lose to Megaguruius though.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Rodan vs Megaguirus would be nice, but it'll only happen as a comic probably. We have very few aerial kaiju battles, and this would be the perfect one.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

Anyone else think Megaguirus' eyes look exactly like Tootsie Pops?
'And yet another one?'

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

No, but it begs the question;

How many licks does it take to get the center of Megaguirus' eye?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote:No, but it begs the question;

How many licks does it take to get the center of Megaguirus' eye?
Ask Gorosaurus. Remember that was cannon in the comics ;)

three
Keizer

Post by three »

she was a cool monster. i'd actually be interested in her return, if only to fight another creature like Kiryu. what a battle that would have been.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah I like Megs design alright. Too bad the film she was in is probably my least favorite film in the entire franchise. Megs is about the films only redeeming factor.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The music score was pretty good, too.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Eehhh, when I saw Megaguirus's final design I remember saying: "Didn't they do Battra already?"
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

morgoth wrote:Eehhh, when I saw Megaguirus's final design I remember saying: "Didn't they do Battra already?"
I hate comments like these because Megaguirius is a completely different monster from Battra. Sure both are giant flying antagonistic insects but so is Kamacuras. Megagurius is completely different structurally with giant pincers, a stinger tail and a longer body. It only had one non melee attack and it's way faster than Battra. Not to mention it was way more aggressive, had a way more interesting origin but also it's a great melee. Kind of the exact opposite of Battra if you ask me.

These comments are akin to saying something like,"Titanosaurus is too much like Godzilla because he's a dinosaur".

three
Keizer

Post by three »

if i had to make a comparison between her and other Toho monsters, i couldn't.

she's got elements of Orga, Ebirah, and even Destroyah in her design. not much Battra, though.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
morgoth wrote:Eehhh, when I saw Megaguirus's final design I remember saying: "Didn't they do Battra already?"
I hate comments like these because Megaguirius is a completely different monster from Battra. Sure both are giant flying antagonistic insects but so is Kamacuras. Megagurius is completely different structurally with giant pincers, a stinger tail and a longer body. It only had one non melee attack and it's way faster than Battra. Not to mention it was way more aggressive, had a way more interesting origin but also it's a great melee. Kind of the exact opposite of Battra if you ask me.

These comments are akin to saying something like,"Titanosaurus is too much like Godzilla because he's a dinosaur".

Godzilla and Titanosaurus are VERY different looking. I'm talking overall design not behavior patterns. The design of megaguirus shows how lazy Toho was in the millennium era; take Battra extend her body, give it a mouth instead of mandibles, add pincers and viola.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

morgoth wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Godzilla and Titanosaurus are VERY different looking. I'm talking overall design not behavior patterns. The design of megaguirus shows how lazy Toho was in the millennium era; take Battra extend her body, give it a mouth instead of mandibles, add pincers and viola.
Make godzillas neck longer, slap on some fins and change his colors, and viola, you've got Megagurius.

Meganulon technically also preceded Battra. I know the designs are very different and there never was a Megagurius equivalent but I don't see Megagurius as lazy. You're also ignoring the giant ass tail stinger, the barbed wings and many other things. Megaguirus also has a different coloration. Black, yellow with some purple mixed in. Battra is black and red. And all of this wouldn't matter because Megagurius redeemed the insectoid kaiju. She's probably the most powerful and has the strongest melee.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Make godzillas neck longer, slap on some fins and change his colors, and viola, you've got Megagurius.
You sure about that? :lol:

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Someone with photoshop needs to actually do those and post the results. I can totally see both changes.

Megaguirus, both the monster and the movie, have always been personal favorites of mine (I also like Battra, but not as much as Megs, which is an adorable nickname, BTW). Megs being a smaller, faster kaiju was a great change-up. Godzilla had been fighting gigantic, overpowered behemoths since DAM, so going up against a smaller monster, let alone one that almost defeated him, was exactly what the franchise needed. Megs's ability to take away Godzilla's atomic ray also felt like an indirect response to the "beam wars" criticisms of the Heisei films, and the fight was pretty well done. Cheesy sometimes, yes, but hey, that's Godzilla.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

lol this could on and on. My initial reaction 15 years ago when I saw "Megs" was oh they just tweaked a few points on Battra. Now, to try and see your point of view, While on lunch break I googled a few pics of Megaguirus and still feel that way. Sorry man. It's just personal taste but I just don't like the movie either, it's dull and I fall asleep every time I watch it and the characters are like ATJ on sleeping pills. I do like the soundtrack though.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It feels like a made for tv movie, but it's still enjoyable. Megaguirus is an interesting kaiju, and a good fighter.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I like Megasurius too, I think a bit more than Battra but they're two one movie monsters I want to see return.