Monster Discussion: Megaguirus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Monster Discussion: Megaguirus

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:The thing I don't like about these after the fact revelations is that they may not reflect the filmmakers' wishes. To me that's the true canon. I don't care if it's official that 40 years later Toho says the King Ghidorah in Godzilla vs. Gigan is a different creature than the one in the previous three films; if it's not supported by anything in the film or by statements made by creative personnel at the time (which I value less than anything on screen), I'm going to reject that as merely a retcon.

I know there's a book Tomoyuki Tanaka wrote later on about Godzilla and the films and in which he includes some controversial "facts," such as (I believe) the Showa Godzilla has gills. Of course Tanaka was the guiding force for the first 22 Godzilla movies so his opinion matters, but still, his official declarations made years later don't hold the same weight as anything stated or observed in the films themselves. (I know that's not a great example though, since Godzilla's ability to breathe underwater is declared in Godzilla's Revenge.) It's really not that different from George Lucas going back to Star Wars to make a version in which Greedo fires his blaster first, except that in this case the change isn't so pervasive that the original work has been changed.
I agree with your sentiment 100%. Especially about just trying to explain plot-holes, that weren`t plot holes, like the tale of two Ghidorahs.

However, in the case of King Shisa, and Megaguirus, I think minor retcons are fine enough, because they`re additive and fit well into both monsters themes. King Shisa being a golem type monster, would fit into it better with it being a literal Shisa statue. It`s a statue that came to life. It also makes more sense why it`s just "sleeping", hidden buried away in mountains for centuries.

With Megagurius, I think it WAS the intention of the film makers to make it a Godzilla hybrid. Megagurius is definitely more reptilian then everything around it, and does initially draw power from Godzilla. I also like the contrast between the more insectiod concept art, and the more reptilian creature we got. In this case, a statement in a officially Toho sanctioned product, is not a retcon, but merely just more evidence of something implied being more confirmed.

Also, depending how I feel today, I`ll probably give GxMegaguirus a rewatch today. I`ll try to pay attention to the japanese dialogue more (as opposed to the dubtitles) and see if I can discern any moments when they talk about Megagurius.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Megaguirus and Orga almost always seem to get overlooked and I never understood why. I guess it is because this was shortly after GINO alongside the fact the movies themselves weren't impressive. Anyways I actually like Megaguirus quite a bit as a very unique kaiju. Not to mention the connection to the original Rodan film is nice. Megaguirus looks and sounds cool (despite the shoddy prop used) along with having cool abilities to boot. Siphoning energy along with the disrupting sonic waves are pretty sweet. I also like how she is one of the few kaiju that achieves lethality with blinding speed over raw power, and actually does so quite well. One of many good kaiju in a sub-par film.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Eh, I always liked Orga a whole hell of a lot more, and speak for yourself sir, I was plenty impressed with Godzilla 2000 when I saw it in theaters and still am to this day.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

orderofthemeganulon
Young Farmer

Post by orderofthemeganulon »

DEMAND FROM THE ORDER OF THE MEGANULON

IN THE NAME OF OUR GOD THE MILLENNIUM MEGANULON AND OF OUR INQUISITION WE COMMAND YOU TO SEND THE BEHIND THE SCENES PHOTOS OF THE MEGANULON ATTACKING THE COUPLE IN SHIBUYA OF TOKYO. BOTH MOTOKO NAGINO AND YUJI. AND WE PROMISE THEE' THERE WILL BE NO MORE STORMS FROM OUR GOD UNTO THY ISLAND.
Last edited by orderofthemeganulon on Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE ORDER OF THE MEGANULON AND THE SACRIFICIAL INQUISITION OF SHIBUYA