Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:20 pm

I rather like Megaguirus as a kaiju. She's basically the film's single saving grace. Still it is easily my least favorite Godzilla film of all time. The characters, the pacing, the score, are all utterly dull and boring.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Tomzilla » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:58 pm

I still can't, for the life of me, like this movie. I don't like its cinematography, I don't like its direction, I'm indifferent to its human characters, and I think it's plot and subplots are mostly boring and unfulfilling. Godzilla is a mixed bag for me too. I do love Megaguirus though. She has character, a wickedly neat design, and a cool origin story. Then there's the OST by Michiru Oshima, which was a breath of fresh air. I liked the dimension tide and wormhole ideas, concepts I hope they revisit again someday soon, because there's great Sci-Fi potential to be had.

Overall, Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is one of my least favorite Godzilla movies.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

Coobzilla03
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Coobzilla03 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Tomzilla wrote:I still can't, for the life of me, like this movie. I don't like its cinematography, I don't like its direction, I'm indifferent to its human characters, and I think it's plot and subplots are mostly boring and unfulfilling. Godzilla is a mixed bag for me too. I do love Megaguirus though. She has character, a wickedly neat design, and a cool origin story. Then there's the OST by Michiru Oshima, which was a breath of fresh air. I liked the dimension tide and wormhole ideas, concepts I hope they revisit again someday soon, because there's great Sci-Fi potential to be had.

Overall, Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is one of my least favorite Godzilla movies.

My thoughts exactly. Megaguirus and the dimension tide were cool, but the movie stunk.
Tohokingdom's local Wumbologist! It's 1st grade!
Resized Image

Kaijunator
Kwaidan

Postby Kaijunator » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:32 pm

This is a very underrated film.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)

Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.

TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!
Resized Image

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:21 pm

I'm not a fan of this one, other than G2K, I lost touch with Godzilla after Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. But this one seems like an episode of one of the later Ultraman (s) and I'm not a fan of that . G2K was really good, had an epic scope and the dub was steller.. too bad none of the other films could live up to that . This one's pacing is awful and none of the characters, not plot grip me in any way so it's 1000% worst for me.
Megaguirus looks cool, the updated Meganulathings look better than the Showa counterparts.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Coobzilla03
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Coobzilla03 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:38 am

Lain Of The Wired wrote:the updated Meganula things look better than the Showa counterparts.

I beg to differ.
Resized Image

GodzillaBurgh
Interpol Agent

Postby GodzillaBurgh » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:47 pm

The movie to me is "OKAY" and "meh"at the same time, but the one thing I really love about the movie is Michiru Oshima's AWESOME soundtrack.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

gzillafan17
Interpol Agent

Postby gzillafan17 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:45 pm

I like the movie and the special effects are pretty good and I really like this Godzilla suit. The characters were pretty good imo. The fight at the end of the movie was pretty unique, but I really like it.

One question, am I the only one who is still disturbed by the scene with the couple in the alley?
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

PopInPicsPresents
Kwaidan

Postby PopInPicsPresents » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:00 pm

gzillafan17 wrote:One question, am I the only one who is still disturbed by the scene with the couple in the alley?

Best to not watch any actual horror movies if a crappy scene in a Godzilla movie disturbs you :lol:
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.

Mama Birdon is bae

Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

gzillafan17
Interpol Agent

Postby gzillafan17 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:26 pm

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Best to not watch any actual horror movies if a crappy scene in a Godzilla movie disturbs you :lol:

That's the weird thing, while I don't watch horror movies often, when I do, they don't usually disturb me, just this scene in particular, granted it's been a few years since I last watched it and I may be remembering it wrong.

Coobzilla03
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Coobzilla03 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:28 pm

The scene where the Meganulon gets that couple?
Resized Image

gzillafan17
Interpol Agent

Postby gzillafan17 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Coobzilla03 wrote:The scene where the Meganulon gets that couple?

Yeah that's the one.

Coobzilla03
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Coobzilla03 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:34 pm

gzillafan17 wrote:
Coobzilla03 wrote:The scene where the Meganulon gets that couple?

Yeah that's the one.

Yeah, that scene gives me the creeps. The Meganulon in general give me the heebie-jeebies, but the Meganula don't freak me out as much for some reason.
Resized Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Futurian

Postby GodzillavsRayquaza » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:40 pm

There's a few things keeping me from saying I love this movie. Don't get me wrong, I still like it, but there's several glaring flaws. Mainly, the infamous visible strings, and the dimension tide. Godzilla is a metaphor for the nuclear bomb, and the oxygen destroyer represents the escalation of weaponry and thus is treated with the utmost seriousness and horror. Then this movie comes along and completely ignores that with a satelitte mounted black hole gun! A weapon that makes the oxygen destroyer look like child's play, and it's treated as a wonderful thing!
Megaguirus is cool, and the final battle of the movie is cool.
King of the Monsters wrote:You guys, this Godzilla was clearly the next GINO from the point its silhouette was revealed on that poster and it wasn't just the Heisei Godzilla. Any true fan would feel the same way.

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Man, I can't believe this series that started as a condemnation of nuclear weapons, Cold War arm races and called for humanity coming together MIGHT DARE TO BE (le gasp) political

SonOfGorgo
JXSDF Technician

Postby SonOfGorgo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:29 pm

While I see how others may not enjoy this installment as much, I do like the whole backstory idea. I kinda wish that would've been used in G2K, GxMG and G:TSOS. Like another alternative timeline similar to the Heisei series.
Still the best... 8-)

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:02 pm

The doomsday weapon angle was much stronger back in the Showa era. People, some of them working for Toho, remembered the horror and destruction of WW2 and the bombs that hit Japan. The Millenium era was a time when those horrors weren't as fresh for people. There's still the spectre of nuclear weapons, but it's not as consuming as other concerns, like global warming and terror attacks. So a superweapon wasn't a big thing, unless you intended it as a way to show off your special effects or to help prop up your story.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier

Postby LamangoKaijura » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Legaguirus

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:07 pm

I enjoy this film quite a bit, blame it on nostalgia. Still has one of the best final battles in a Godzilla film, imo.

Also, pretty interesting they went out of their way to include a end credit scene. Even after it was already said that Godzilla survived.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

BooLugosi
G-Grasper

Postby BooLugosi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:22 am

I honestly struggle to remember this entry exists sometimes.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:13 pm

I like Legaguirus.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”