Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

Post by Rodan »

Kaiser wrote:That's always been my biggest problem with the movie. While it isn't very good from a technical standpoint, I just find the film incredibly inconsistent thematically with the core messages of the series which aggravates me to no end. It pushes it from what I would consider passably mediocre to outright bad. I just think Hiroshi Kashiwabara is the worst writer to work on the series and this is probably the biggest reason why.
Yeah. It'd be like getting to the end of the original film and having Serizawa pop up from the ocean saying, "Awesome! The Oxygen Destroyer works! I guess everything is safe now!"

Again, consequences for the Dimension Tide are even written into the first half of the film! They're just completely ignored.

There are a lot of things I think the Godzilla series can comfortably do. Blindly granting success and a cool-factor to fantastic weapon development is not one of them. In fact, it is maybe the only thing it should never, ever do.

I know Godzilla survives and the Dimension Tide technically doesn't work. Maybe the script intended otherwise, but the finished movie basically asks for us to cheer for it the whole time. There's really no moral debate or greater implications on screen.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

three wrote:
Giga Kaiju wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:The Meganulon/Megaguirus start as a side issue, but they do make a genuine threat. They're also a bit of an irony. The DT was built to end a kaiju threat, but the weapon ends up creating a new one.
Yeah. The movie begins with Godzilla being the major baddie to take out, but once the Megaguirus/Meganula (The insects problem as I think is called in the movie...yeah...) it is adressed, but STILL not as a big problem as Godzilla.

Like, these insects are the cause for the flood in the city, they're MULTIPLYING, they have proved that they're extremely dangerous if it wasn't obvious by them attacking some soldiers, civilians, GODZILLA himself, AND YET the bigger threat that must be taken care of is still the Big G.

-_-
well i mean...Godzilla kills the threat, and then survives their attempt to kill him. so i never thought anything of the fact that Godzilla is always the threat.
Afterwards Megaguirus death, sure, yeah, I can see that as Godzilla was a focus of the characters. But DURING, is the problem. While Meganulons are multiplying and Meganulas attack soldiers and stuff, instead of being a focus of their approach on how to deal with the situation, they just kind of shove it aside. And while the two monsters fight, is like: "Yeah, we'll get Godzilla and...that othre thing with the DT...!"

-_-

Rodan said other points and explained a bit further on what I said, I pretty much agree.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Giga Kaiju wrote:It wasn't. Because that one turned into a Meganula that got killed afterwards (most likely) by Godzilla. Unless it was another one that got caught by him.

The Meganulon-Queen was just that. Perhaps, one of many that began growing more than the others and got 'chosen' as the Queen.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/kaiju/megagu ... megaguirus
The strongest of the Meganula species will pupate into a giant Meganulon. Rather than be on the offensive like its smaller kin, this giant version of the ancient insect will remain stationary. It relies on the smaller, drone Meganula to steal enough energy to power the creature for its metamorphosis.

During the Meganula attack on Japan, the giant Meganulon made base in a submerged Tokyo. The mammoth insect stayed at the bottom of the water, hidden, as its brood attacked above the surface. The smaller Meganula performed well, locating and attacking Godzilla. Sapping energy from an almost limitless source, the Meganula fled with the energy they stole. Depositing it into the giant Meganulon, the smaller insects gave their life to power the queen of the hive.

Rather than transform into a giant Meganula, though, something else occurred. The husk of the beast was discarded as a new creature was born. Gone were its pincer mouth, replaced with a jagged series of teeth. By using Godzilla as the source, the smaller Meganula gave birth to a mutated version of their species. A flying killer who now threatened all of Japan.
Godzilla

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Giga Kaiju wrote:The soundtrack was pretty cool. Michiru Oshima's OST were always a treat to hear, and a good change of pace from the original theme we heard so much before.

Godzilla's new theme is pretty great, one of the best after Ifukube's masterpiece.
Agreed. While this movie is probably one of the lesser films of the series, this is my second favorite soundtrack in the Millennium series, after GMK. The battle theme that plays during Godzilla and Megaguirus' fight is unusually fast paced and energetic for a Godzilla movie, but I like it.

And while not one of my favorite movies, I LOVE Megaguirus herself. She's got a wicked looking design, she's full of personality, and though not as powerful as Ghidorah or Destoroyah, she's fast and dangerous enough to prove herself a threat, and comes very close to killing Godzilla.
Last edited by Spuro on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The battle music goes along well with the fast and viscious attack style used by Megaguirus.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Pretty much what I already said G2vd, but still appreciated to see the info.

Godzilla and Megaguirus themes are very memorable from the movie (the first getting reused in later movies), very fitting and cool to hear overall.

Megaguirus itself got fitting moments with the music, showing that she can be a formidable foe if not tread lightly showing how much trouble it took Godzilla to handle the giant dragonfly.

Dat matador-esque music. :-D
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

YongaryMan
Ronin

Post by YongaryMan »

Hey Gang...I watched this movie last night.
I loved this movie. Godzilla is great and so is Megaguirus.
I enjoyed the action scenes and soundtrack.
I enjoyed the female lead and her back story why she hates Godzilla.
I liked the male lead as well...a likeable tech geek.
The pacing is good althrough the movie and it stays emtertaining from the opening credits to the end credits.
With all this being said I only have one question.
Why does everyone consider this one of the lesser Godzilla movies? I mean really people!! Please explain.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

YongaryMan wrote:Hey Gang...I watched this movie last night.
I loved this movie. Godzilla is great and so is Megaguirus.
I enjoyed the action scenes and soundtrack.
I enjoyed the female lead and her back story why she hates Godzilla.
I liked the male lead as well...a likeable tech geek.
The pacing is good althrough the movie and it stays emtertaining from the opening credits to the end credits.
With all this being said I only have one question.
Why does everyone consider this one of the lesser Godzilla movies? I mean really people!! Please explain.
I found the movie pretty boring except for the battle at the end
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Let me put it this way, in all the time I've been a fan I don't think I have ever truly disliked a Godzilla film until Godzilla x Megaguirus. I even thought Revenge and Megalon were entertaining for what they were.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

YongaryMan wrote:

I don't know. I enjoy this movie. When I watch it, however, it feels more like a made for tv movie than a feature film. I still like it, though.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Let me put it this way, in all the time I've been a fan I don't think I have ever truly disliked a Godzilla film until Godzilla x Megaguirus. I even thought Revenge and Megalon were entertaining for what they were.
Is it bad that the only Showa movies I even remotely like are Godzilla, Godzilla Raids Again, King Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, and Terror of MechaGodzilla?

There's almost a full 10 years of movies I don't like
Last edited by F4ZaTE_X on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

edgaguirus wrote:
YongaryMan wrote:

I don't know. I enjoy this movie. When I watch it, however, it feels more like a made for tv movie than a feature film. I still like it, though.
It really does!
It feels like the fights from the later Ultraman shows

Spacegodzilla, Mechagodzilla 2, Destroyah, and Megaguirus, those are my 4 most hated G flicks, I'm fine with every other movie

The Meganula redesign was cool though, so I'll give it that
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

YongaryMan wrote:Why does everyone consider this one of the lesser Godzilla movies? I mean really people!! Please explain.
It's fun, but it's very shlocky. There are also weird narrative choices that I still find distracting, like no one ever owning up to the fact that their super weapon brought Megaguirus to the present and the entire subplot with the child who finds the Megaguirus egg going nowhere.

It's probably my favorite of the three films Tezuka directed, even though x Mechagodzilla is technically better in almost every way. I don't think any of them are particularly good though.

EDIT -- Woops. Realized I went through a lot of this last page. That was a while ago.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:It's probably my favorite of the three films Tezuka directed, even though x Mechagodzilla is technically better in almost every way. I don't think any of them are particularly good though.
I'm right there with you. Although X Mechagodzilla technically has the better structured, more focused script, it feels generic and lifeless to me, and it doesn't really offer any standout moments. Megaguirus is terribly messy, but the few moments in which it works are fun and memorable (even if, taken as a group, they don't really feel like they belong to the same movie).

Really, if nothing else, the scene with Tsujimori riding Godzilla is absolutely delightful when seen on the big screen.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

eabaker wrote:Really, if nothing else, the scene with Tsujimori riding Godzilla is absolutely delightful when seen on the big screen.
I agree. I saw the film at G-Fest a few years ago. I'm really indifferent towards the film but it managed to be more enjoyable in a theater setting. Then again G-Fest crowds are usually high energy anyway, cheering whenever a monster appears on screen for the first time.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GalacticPetey wrote:
eabaker wrote:Really, if nothing else, the scene with Tsujimori riding Godzilla is absolutely delightful when seen on the big screen.
I agree. I saw the film at G-Fest a few years ago. I'm really indifferent towards the film but it managed to be more enjoyable in a theater setting. Then again G-Fest crowds are usually high energy anyway, cheering whenever a monster appears on screen for the first time.
I was going to say, "Maybe we saw it at the same G-Fest," but then I looked at your profile, and I realized that you were about 2 years old when I saw it screened. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

eabaker wrote:
Rodan wrote:It's probably my favorite of the three films Tezuka directed, even though x Mechagodzilla is technically better in almost every way. I don't think any of them are particularly good though.
I'm right there with you. Although X Mechagodzilla technically has the better structured, more focused script, it feels generic and lifeless to me, and it doesn't really offer any standout moments. Megaguirus is terribly messy, but the few moments in which it works are fun and memorable (even if, taken as a group, they don't really feel like they belong to the same movie).

Really, if nothing else, the scene with Tsujimori riding Godzilla is absolutely delightful when seen on the big screen.
I agree with you both as well. The Kiryu films are more streamlined, but I also feel like they have less of an edge to them. Megaguirus feels like it's swinging wildy in all directions, and I'd argue when it hits (like during the Godzilla surfing scene) it hits harder than either X Mechagodzilla or Tokyo SOS. Its misses also happen to be bigger as well, but I think that ultimately makes for a more interesting film. I also find I rate movie's with original monsters higher the longer the series goes on.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I'll go as far as to say that if you fixed some of the script problems and gave a little more love (or time or budget or whatever they needed) to the special effects, I could really like this movie. When it's fun, it's very fun. Tsujimori is also, I think, my favorite military character with a grudge against Godzilla, even though that's not my favorite archetype for the series.
Last edited by Rodan on Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

Rodan wrote:I'll go as far as to say that if you fixed some of the script problems and gave a little more love (or time or budget or whatever they needed) to the special effects, I could almost really like this movie. When it's fun, it's very fun. Tsujimori is also, I think, my favorite military character with a grudge against Godzilla, even though that's not my favorite archetype for the series.
Yeah, I've always maintained that if the effects were equal to the Kiryu films, people would generally hold Megaguirus in an equal or higher regard. In fact, the FX work is pretty solid up until Megaguirus appears, and there I think they had the right idea using CGI for her wing movements, they just didn't have the time (or money or whatever) to really nail it.

I will also say that despite Megaguirus's 3rd act effects flaws, Godzilla's defeating her was (prior to G '14) my favorite end to a kaiju battle in the whole series. I really like the build up and brief misdirect right before he beats her. It's definitely a hell yeah moment, despite the fact that the movie doesn't actively call upon you to root for Godzilla.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

eabaker wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:
I was going to say, "Maybe we saw it at the same G-Fest," but then I looked at your profile, and I realized that you were about 2 years old when I saw it screened. :)
Oh, haha. I saw it back in 2013 when they showed it alongside Spacegodzilla. Not the best year for Godzilla movies at G-Fest. On the plus side, we did get to see Pacifc Rim at midnight at the Pickwick. That was fun.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.