Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

Post by BlankAccount »

I've said it countless times in the past but I like that this feels like a return to movies like Godzilla vs Gigan where the monster isn't some anti-Godzilla weapon, they just kick his ass because they play to their strengths and exploit his weakness. Godzilla actually feels like he is in danger like he might lose, and by all right he could have. Megs got robbed because of dumb luck. That's not to say it was a one sided fight, Godzilla was able to turn the tables around for a few times but in the end when Godzilla won, it felt less like plot armor and more like I said before, dumb luck and I mean that in a good way.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This film does have a Showa feel, and that's partly why I like it. It's a fun movie, and Meg is an interesting kaiju.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

The more I watch this film and the more experience I gather, the more I see both its flaws and the good aspects of the movie.
And yeah, it's pretty much a lot of wasted potential.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

My opinion of this film:

Don’t bully me.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

VoyagerGoji wrote:My opinion of this film:

Don’t bully me.
Don't post this kind of shit if you don't want to get bullied.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is the most original Godzilla film since '91.
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus has perhaps the best kaiju battle in the whole series.
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus has by far the best of the three Oshima scores.
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus features the most ambitious special effects work since '89.
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus was the second and last Millennium film made without heavy studio control and interference.
Megaguirus herself is the best new kaiju since Biollante.

You wanna know what's really worthless? Hating on this movie when every fucking Heisei worshipper and Kiryu lover has already done it.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:My opinion of this film:

Don’t bully me.
Don't post this kind of poop if you don't want to get bullied.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is the most original Godzilla film since '91.
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus features the most ambitious special effects work since '89.
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus was the second and last Millennium film made without heavy studio control and interference.

You wanna know what's really worthless? Hating on this movie when every skreeonking Heisei worshipper and Kiryu lover has already done it.
Your response kinda makes me wanna do this to Godzilla vs Hedorah. It’s a shame, because I like that movie.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

VoyagerGoji wrote: Your response kinda makes me wanna do this to Godzilla vs Hedorah. It’s a shame, because I like that movie.
If you're gonna openly troll me that hard I'm not taking the fucking bait. And I won't have to because a lot of other people on TK love that movie and will defend it for me. I seem to be the only one who really likes poor Megaguirus.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote: Your response kinda makes me wanna do this to Godzilla vs Hedorah. It’s a shame, because I like that movie.
If you're gonna openly troll me that hard I'm not taking the skreeonking bait. And I won't have to because a lot of other people on TK love that movie and will defend it for me. I seem to be the only one who really likes poor Megaguirus.
Not tryna troll you. The whole Hedorah thing was a joke. I like that movie, it’s just shy of my top ten for crying out loud.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is the most original Godzilla film since '91.

Now, this is irrelevant to my own thoughts on the movie, but a lot of these points are pretty subjective takes.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Adding onto that, specifically the points you didn't highlight:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus was the second and last Millennium film made without heavy studio control and interference.
That has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the film itself. Hell, the film that came right after this has a lot of studio interference and yet it's critically acclaimed.
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus features the most ambitious special effects work since '89.
It also features a shit ton of visible wires, flat sets, and terrible CGI effects. Ambition =/= quality.
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: You wanna know what's really worthless? Hating on this movie when every fucking Heisei worshipper and Kiryu lover has already done it.
What's equally worthless is rushing to this movie's defense every time someone says something mean about it. You're not on Toho's payroll, they're not dropping quarters into your PayPal every time you defend this movie. You don't see me rushing to vehemently defend Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah every time someone has a negative opinion about it.

I don't even think GXM is that bad of a movie, but dude: calm down.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Besides the black hole gun, what was so original about GVM? We have another plot about Godzilla going up against one of his clones, a trope that has been not only done to death, but also done better with both vs. Biollante and Godzilla 2000! Only thing new is the insect motif. Enjoyable as the film may be, there's certainly nothing very new to the table if you ask me.
Last edited by Gigantis on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

You guys are just proving my fucking point. A bunch of you jumping on here to bitch at me for defending Megaguirus, and then repeating the same shit the majority of the fandom has been saying for twenty fucking years. But clearly, I'm the only one who needs to calm down. :roll:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:
I don't even think GXM is that bad of a movie, but dude: calm down.
“Forget it, Jake, it’s Chinatown GXM...”
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:You guys are just proving my skreeonking point. A bunch of you jumping on here to skreeonk at me for defending Megaguirus, and then repeating the same poop the majority of the fandom has been saying for twenty skreeonking years. But clearly, I'm the only one who needs to calm down. :roll:
Um... sorry that people think alike sometimes? Also, i'm pretty sure i'm one of the only people who consider G2000 one of the series' best entries. :|

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

tyrantgoji wrote: Um... sorry that people think alike sometimes? Also, i'm pretty sure i'm one of the only people who consider G2000 one of the series' best entries. :|
I was mostly referring to UltramanGoji but the fact that three people in like fifteen minutes felt the need to post the same shit rubbed me the wrong way. And for the record, I also like Godzilla 2000 a lot. I think that film, too, is underrated but I don't see it receiving anywhere near the same vitriolic hatred as Megaguirus.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote: Um... sorry that people think alike sometimes? Also, i'm pretty sure i'm one of the only people who consider G2000 one of the series' best entries. :|
I was mostly referring to UltramanGoji but the fact that three people in like fifteen minutes felt the need to post the same poop rubbed me the wrong way. And for the record, I also like Godzilla 2000 a lot. I think that film, too, is underrated but I don't see it receiving anywhere near the same vitriolic hatred as Megaguirus.
I think it comes from something i like to call "Sequel Whiplash". Godzilla 2000, whether you like it or not, at least tried to introduce a new idea to the franchise and had a nice human narrative, along with a unique Godzilla design. Meanwhile, we have GXM, which pretty much almost did the same thing with the clones, now just with a 2000's anime portagonist as the hero and only had one real big thing going for it. One's at least trying to be original, the other.. really isn't.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
I was mostly referring to UltramanGoji but the fact that three people in like fifteen minutes felt the need to post the same shit rubbed me the wrong way. And for the record, I also like Godzilla 2000 a lot. I think that film, too, is underrated but I don't see it receiving anywhere near the same vitriolic hatred as Megaguirus.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Vitriolic hatred?" Give me a break. A kid posted a dopey meme and you went full-ham on him defending this movie. Three people jumped in because a.) they were online at the time and saw new stuff posted. That's how forums work. And b.) you've been non-stop vocal about being a crusader for this movie for ages and people are getting sick of you rushing to its defense every goddamn time. It's not even about the movie at this point, it's about you always getting so worked up over it. It's fine to love the movie, but it's not okay to obsess over it like this.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

UltramanGoji wrote: This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Vitriolic hatred?" Give me a break. A kid posted a dopey meme and you went full-ham on him defending this movie.
"Full-ham" my fucking ass. Did I call him a piece of shit? Did I tell him to get the fuck off these forums? Did I tell him that all of his opinions are trash? Did I try to goad him into a flame war by challenging his opinions on a bunch of unrelated shit? Nope, just challenged his mockery of this movie. VoyagerGoji clearly wasn't bothered by my response, either. You've been a lot more hostile to me over my response than I was to him.
UltramanGoji wrote:You've been non-stop vocal about being a crusader for this movie for ages and people are getting sick of you rushing to its defense every goddamn time. It's not even about the movie at this point, it's about you always getting so worked up over it. It's fine to love the movie, but it's not okay to obsess over it like this.
Yes, I have because it's the one hated Godzilla movie that I like a lot. But I'm not "obsessed" with it. It's not even in my top five Godzilla films, maybe not even my top ten. It's just the one movie I like a lot that I feel needs to be defended. If Godzilla vs. Hedorah was getting shit on regularly, I'd jump in to defend that movie all the time too. But most people these days like that film or at least respect it. Hopefully, some day Megaguirus will undergo the same positive re-evaluation.

Fine, I'll shut up about Megaguirus. I'm honestly sick of defending it myself. But I don't think it's fair to act like I'm the only one around here who rushes in to defend things that I like and challenge others' negative opinions on them. I've seen just about all of the regulars on here do that multiple times, you included. It just so happens that I've devoted a lot of time to defending one movie. I'm done now.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Whether you intended it or not, it just seemed an overly aggressive response to what was little more than a meme.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:You guys are just proving my skreeonking point. A bunch of you jumping on here to skreeonk at me for defending Megaguirus, and then repeating the same poop the majority of the fandom has been saying for twenty skreeonking years. But clearly, I'm the only one who needs to calm down. :roll:
I can't speak for everyone, but I was just pointing out that several of your points were subjective ones.

Which is totally fine, and fair. Godzilla vs Destoroyah ranks among my favorites for the simple and personal reason that I like Destoroyah.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.