Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
EleKaiju
GPN Volunteer

Re: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus Thead

Post by EleKaiju »

I kinda like the movie, but I absolutely loathe the G-Graspers. They're not so bright and all of their plans end up miserably failing. Megs is cool, though. She looks really neat, and except for the CG scenes, she's well executed.
"rofl rofl not to diss but that is varans cousin, totally looks like varan with some diffs but that is varans cousin. dang."

derp

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

One of my favorite moments in this movie is when the Major holds on to Godzilla while swimming. Seeing him surface and seeing the manner in which he swims was really interesting, that and seeing how the texture of his skin interacted with the water. I just found that scene rather fascinating.
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

You'd think they'd be able to come up with a better name than G Graspers. Maybe it was a joke for when the major grasps onto Godzilla's back in the water.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder why Toho choose GXM not be a sequel to G2k? Seeing how G2k has no origin, and the movie did pretty well at the box office then this movie could have been a sequel to G2k.
In retrospect, G2K did good at the box office. However, back in its day, Toho saw it as a huge disappointment. The film did a lot worse than the end of the Heisei series did, and even made less money than Rebirth of Mothra (or so it seems, although there was a shift in how figures were reported around that time).

For the first film in a new series, Toho expected more.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Legion1979 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder why Toho choose GXM not be a sequel to G2k?
Because one reason the Heisei series didn't get international releases was due to the tight continuity. It's no surprise that G2K - the first film that broke continuity - got a US theatrical release.
I never heard any realy talk of releasing GXM internationally until several years following the Japanese release. I've also never heard this about the Hesei saga.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Finally re-watched this film for the first time yesterday and, while it held up better than my first viewing, I'm still not too fond of the film. The music score here is the best part, although the usage of Ifukube's music is, quite honestly, tacky and unnecessary. The acting here is good, but the characters are pretty flat so the actors aren't given much room to work with. Finally, the big fight between Godzilla and Megaguirus is admittedly fun. It's energetic, inventive, and exciting.

As for the negatives, there are...quite a few. First off is just the dubious amount of plot holes in this film. IHow can our lead survive the radiation from Godzilla's body when she grasps onto him? Why did the kid grab the egg and was then intent on getting rid of it so quickly when he got to Tokyo? Why was Megaguirus never mentioned again after her defeat? Was her role in the film that trivial in the grand scheme of things? Finally, how in the HELL could Godzilla stop a black hole with his atomic breath? It's a black hole, the breath should've been sucked in...then again, it IS Godzilla.

The SPFX are extremely crummy too. The CG is dreadfully bad, the suits and props are stiff, the miniatures are unconvincing, and so on. From a special effects standpoint, this film is one of the laziest looking ones in the franchise.

So yeah, while it may no longer be my least favorite Godzilla film, it's still in my bottom five. I just can't bring myself to enjoy this one considering I love the '70s films to death. Maybe it's because those films weren't really trying to be anything more than just kid's fare whereas this one aims at a more mature audience.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:Finally re-watched this film for the first time yesterday and, while it held up better than my first viewing, I'm still not too fond of the film. The music score here is the best part, although the usage of Ifukube's music is, quite honestly, tacky and unnecessary. The acting here is good, but the characters are pretty flat so the actors aren't given much room to work with. Finally, the big fight between Godzilla and Megaguirus is admittedly fun. It's energetic, inventive, and exciting.

As for the negatives, there are...quite a few. First off is just the dubious amount of plot holes in this film. IHow can our lead survive the radiation from Godzilla's body when she grasps onto him? Why did the kid grab the egg and was then intent on getting rid of it so quickly when he got to Tokyo? Why was Megaguirus never mentioned again after her defeat? Was her role in the film that trivial in the grand scheme of things? Finally, how in the HELL could Godzilla stop a black hole with his atomic breath? It's a black hole, the breath should've been sucked in...then again, it IS Godzilla.

The SPFX are extremely crummy too. The CG is dreadfully bad, the suits and props are stiff, the miniatures are unconvincing, and so on. From a special effects standpoint, this film is one of the laziest looking ones in the franchise.

So yeah, while it may no longer be my least favorite Godzilla film, it's still in my bottom five. I just can't bring myself to enjoy this one considering I love the '70s films to death. Maybe it's because those films weren't really trying to be anything more than just kid's fare whereas this one aims at a more mature audience.
This is kinda off topic but what is your least favorite Godzilla film?
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

GodzillaDude wrote:This is kinda off topic but what is your least favorite Godzilla film?
Godzilla: Final Wars. Surprised? :P

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Considering that last paragraph, no.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:
GodzillaDude wrote:This is kinda off topic but what is your least favorite Godzilla film?
Yeesh at Godzilla Vs. Mothra being preferred D:
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?
He was going to kill the T1000 with SEXINESS

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Gigan X3 wrote:
DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:
Yeesh at Godzilla Vs. Mothra being preferred D:
To be fair, not by too much.

Steven Sloss
Yojimbo

Post by Steven Sloss »

Just finished watching this one again. I enjoyed it a lot more than memory led me to believe. It's nothing particularly memorable or outstanding, but I think it had a few nice new ideas (the Dimension Tide in particular). But as much as I love Megaguirus' design (sort of reminds me of Battra a bit), her execution really doesn't hold up.

I'm also really not keen on the idea that the original Godzilla was never killed (or so we are to assume). To me, it sort of undermines the original film, both the drama and message.

Still, I like this one :)
"Will Earth be ruled by Man or Mysterians? No, only science can rule..."

Proud fan of GODZILLA, GAMERA, ULTRAMAN, and all their rubber-suited brethren since August 2000.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

To be quite honest... I really find this movie to be a fun one. It's nothing special... and it's silly, almost Showa silly. But also like most Showa films, it shares some of those charming campy qualities. It's a fairly good movie in my opinion.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Steven Sloss
Yojimbo

Post by Steven Sloss »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:It's nothing special... and it's silly, almost Showa silly. But also like most Showa films, it shares some of those charming campy qualities. It's a fairly good movie in my opinion.
Godzilla's big belly-flop reeks of the Showa era, the 1970's films in particular... and it always puts a big grin on my face :D

Proud fan of GODZILLA, GAMERA, ULTRAMAN, and all their rubber-suited brethren since August 2000.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Steven Sloss wrote:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:It's nothing special... and it's silly, almost Showa silly. But also like most Showa films, it shares some of those charming campy qualities. It's a fairly good movie in my opinion.
Godzilla's big belly-flop reeks of the Showa era, the 1970's films in particular... and it always puts a big grin on my face :D
I know right? It's great.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Steven Sloss
Yojimbo

Post by Steven Sloss »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
Steven Sloss wrote:
I know right? It's great.
It is. It's also great that G also has a bit more personality in this film - I love the scene when he emerges from the wreckage and shakes his head wildly.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's a fun film, and the tooth and claw battle was full of energy.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Steven Sloss wrote:I love the scene when he emerges from the wreckage and shakes his head wildly.
Oh my god, I hate that. We're having an epic battle... Godzilla's been knocked down... Megaguirus is beating him mercilessly... Godzilla finally gets back up, growls and OMG GOOFY HEAD SHAKE! Seriously, it could have worked if kept at about the same speed as the rest, but it was obviously sped up and I despise it.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

MothraRocks
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus thread

Post by MothraRocks »

Does anyone know what the Meganulon spat out? Was is tar or acid or what?
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
Steven Sloss wrote:I love the scene when he emerges from the wreckage and shakes his head wildly.
Oh my god, I hate that. We're having an epic battle... Godzilla's been knocked down... Megaguirus is beating him mercilessly... Godzilla finally gets back up, growls and OMG GOOFY HEAD SHAKE! Seriously, it could have worked if kept at about the same speed as the rest, but it was obviously sped up and I despise it.
Yeah, I can't stand it either. I still remember the first time I saw that..it was just "...what the hell was that?" :eh:. I somehow found it more random that Godzilla's infamous body slam on Megs.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.