Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
User avatar
PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2189
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:38 am

What the skreeonk are you even talking about.
Like damn, you really put some thought into that lil scenario…
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:22 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:What the skreeonk are you even talking about.
Like damn, you really put some thought into that lil scenario…


I’m sorry if I failed to make sense with my analogy. Just thought I’d explain how different for the sake of being different does not nessesarily equal good. At least in certain peoples’ opinions.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6830
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby JAGzilla » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:06 am

I don't know if I'd call GMK Godzilla THAT different from the original. Both are revenge-driven killing machines, it's just that this one is driven by someone else's need for revenge. It's a little out there, but not to a heretical extent.

I'll give you Ghidorah, though, even if I personally don't mind this take as a one-off.

User avatar
KillCrites
Interpol Agent
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby KillCrites » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:21 am

LegendZilla wrote:Would you be perfectly fine with such a interpretation of the character as long as everything else about the film is objectively good?

Yeah, just because something doesn't line up with how I previously viewed one single character won't effect my opinion on a movie overall. I'm always open to new takes or reimaginings.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11132
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby eabaker » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:35 am

LegendZilla wrote:To help better understand my disdain for how Godzilla (as well as Ghidorah) was handled in this film, look at things this way :

Imagine if they rebooted Nightmare on Elm Street. Let's say that instead of being a demonic ghost that lurks in people's dreams to kill them, he turns out to be a normal human who mysteriously disappeared after being in a burning building. Unlike the classic Freddy who died in the ordeal, he survives and therefore does not become a supernatural entity with any superpowers whatsoever.

Rather than being a child murderer and/or molester, he just so happened to be a policeman who presumably died in a fire trying to save children. Afterwards, he does not become the paranormal boogeyman we all know who murders innocent and unsuspecting victims in their sleep, but instead, a disfigured vigilante who only kills child predators or any evildoer for whatever crime they commit. However, Freddy still looks the part, maintains his trademark dark humor and kills in creative ways. So therefore, everything will automatically be fine right? Would you be perfectly fine with such a interpretation of the character as long as everything else about the film is objectively good?


First off, that's a far more extreme set of changes than anything we got in GMK. Second, your use of the term "reboot" suggests something that would re-define the movies going forward, as opposed to a self-contained one-off, which GMK was by design.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:06 pm

^Virtually every Godzilla film post-Destoroyah has been a reboot of sorts.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6054
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby Maritonic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:11 am

LegendZilla wrote:^Virtually every Godzilla film post-Destoroyah has been a reboot of sorts.


.....ehhhhhhh, it depends. I mean, I don't remember them distinctly saying Megaguirus ignored the events of Godzilla 2000, just that they mucked up the timeline a bit (for reasons.). GMK clearly takes place after Gojira. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS have an established timeline with Space Amoeba(kind of), Mothra, War of the Gargantuas, and Gojira in there. Then Final Wars, I mean, has practically everything from the Showa era more or less.

So, it kind of depends. Reboot as in scrapping previous films to tell a self-contained, new story? Maybe. But they don't erase the previous stories COMPLETELY like your Nightmare on Elm Street remake example, or like Shin Gojira did.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4909
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby Zarm » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:20 am

I think there was still nuclear power in the G2000 universe, which Katagiri had then shut down; whereas there was none in the Megaguirus universe. Their dividing line was a lot more subtle.

But the overall point still stands. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6054
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby Maritonic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:22 am

Zarm wrote:I think there was still nuclear power in the G2000 universe, which Katagiri had then shut down; whereas there was none in the Megaguirus universe. Their dividing line was a lot more subtle.

But the overall point still stands. :)


Yeah I wasn't sure about Megaguirus/2000 because I avoid re-watching Megaguirus as much as humanly possible. ;)
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4909
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby Zarm » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:22 am

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:I think there was still nuclear power in the G2000 universe, which Katagiri had then shut down; whereas there was none in the Megaguirus universe. Their dividing line was a lot more subtle.

But the overall point still stands. :)


Yeah I wasn't sure about Megaguirus/2000 because I avoid re-watching Megaguirus as much as humanly possible. ;)


You and me both! :lol:
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby LegendZilla » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:34 am

Maritonic wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^Virtually every Godzilla film post-Destoroyah has been a reboot of sorts.


.....ehhhhhhh, it depends. I mean, I don't remember them distinctly saying Megaguirus ignored the events of Godzilla 2000, just that they mucked up the timeline a bit (for reasons.). GMK clearly takes place after Gojira. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS have an established timeline with Space Amoeba(kind of), Mothra, War of the Gargantuas, and Gojira in there. Then Final Wars, I mean, has practically everything from the Showa era more or less.

So, it kind of depends. Reboot as in scrapping previous films to tell a self-contained, new story? Maybe. But they don't erase the previous stories COMPLETELY like your Nightmare on Elm Street remake example, or like Shin Gojira did.


Fan4stic just by rotten luck is now a self-contained story, yet is still considered a reboot.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6054
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby Maritonic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:47 am

LegendZilla wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^Virtually every Godzilla film post-Destoroyah has been a reboot of sorts.


.....ehhhhhhh, it depends. I mean, I don't remember them distinctly saying Megaguirus ignored the events of Godzilla 2000, just that they mucked up the timeline a bit (for reasons.). GMK clearly takes place after Gojira. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS have an established timeline with Space Amoeba(kind of), Mothra, War of the Gargantuas, and Gojira in there. Then Final Wars, I mean, has practically everything from the Showa era more or less.

So, it kind of depends. Reboot as in scrapping previous films to tell a self-contained, new story? Maybe. But they don't erase the previous stories COMPLETELY like your Nightmare on Elm Street remake example, or like Shin Gojira did.


Fan4stic just by rotten luck is now a self-contained story, yet is still considered a reboot.


.....what the hell are you talking about? Fantastic Four was not a sequel to the original Fantastic Four, but ignoring the events of The Silver Surfer which is the comparison to the films after Godzilla vs. Destroyah linking to Gojira.

It's it's own film, completely redone.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby LegendZilla » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:52 am

Did I directly say that Fan4stic was a sequel to Rise of the Silver Surfer?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6054
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby Maritonic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:55 am

LegendZilla wrote:Did I directly say that Fan4stic was a sequel to the Silver Surfer?


I don't even get what you're talking about at this point. Point is, the films after Godzilla vs. Destroyah follow Gojira and other various films in some way shape or form. With the exception of Shin Godzilla. They're not technically "reboots", persay.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby Godzillian » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:03 pm

LegendZilla wrote:Did I directly say that Fan4stic was a sequel to Rise of the Silver Surfer?

no one even knows what you are talking about dude
Image

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4909
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby Zarm » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:39 pm

Maritonic corrected Legendzilla's analogy by pointing out the Fan4stic was not the same, as it was not a sequel to the original that ignores the in-between films.

Legendzilla got confused (I think), thinking Maritonic was saying it wasn't a reboot because it was actually a sequel to Rise of the Silver Surfer (hence responding 'Well, did I ever say that it was?'), rather than Maritonic's actual point, that it was indeed a reboot, but wasn't in the same way that the Millennium films were (which were 'reboots' in that they skipped the events of the previous film, but not reboots because they were still alternate sequels to the original film).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby LegendZilla » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Zarm wrote:Maritonic corrected Legendzilla's analogy by pointing out the Fan4stic was not the same, as it was not a sequel to the original that ignores the in-between films.

Legendzilla got confused (I think), thinking Maritonic was saying it wasn't a reboot because it was actually a sequel to Rise of the Silver Surfer (hence responding 'Well, did I ever say that it was?'), rather than Maritonic's actual point, that it was indeed a reboot, but wasn't in the same way that the Millennium films were (which were 'reboots' in that they skipped the events of the previous film, but not reboots because they were still alternate sequels to the original film).


I see where you’re coming from.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11132
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby eabaker » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:58 pm

I would say that, in the Millennium series, only G2K counts as a reboot. It took an existing continuity-driven series, and re-launched that as a collection of self-contained one-offs (two-off in the case of GxMG/T:SOS). The subsequent movies aren't rebooting anything, because there was no on-going series for them to reboot.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3445
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby KaijuCanuck » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:00 pm

eabaker wrote:I would say that, in the Millennium series, only G2K counts as a reboot. It took an existing continuity-driven series, and re-launched that as a collection of self-contained one-offs (two-off in the case of GxMG/T:SOS). The subsequent movies aren't rebooting anything, because there was no on-going series for them to reboot.


But then by that logic, is Shin Godzilla also not a reboot, because it too follows a one-off? It kind of feels like a reboot to me.
Image

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11132
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Postby eabaker » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:15 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:I would say that, in the Millennium series, only G2K counts as a reboot. It took an existing continuity-driven series, and re-launched that as a collection of self-contained one-offs (two-off in the case of GxMG/T:SOS). The subsequent movies aren't rebooting anything, because there was no on-going series for them to reboot.


But then by that logic, is Shin Godzilla also not a reboot, because it too follows a one-off? It kind of feels like a reboot to me.


No, Shin is not part of the same project as the 6 Toho movies that proceeded it. The Millennium series was essentially a contained, six movie anthology series. It ended, and basically whatever came next would be a reboot in some sense.

Also, Shin is unique in that it explicitly disregards the original movie, which no other Toho film has done.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.


Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests