Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

What the fuck are you even talking about.
Like damn, you really put some thought into that lil scenario…
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:What the skreeonk are you even talking about.
Like damn, you really put some thought into that lil scenario…
I’m sorry if I failed to make sense with my analogy. Just thought I’d explain how different for the sake of being different does not nessesarily equal good. At least in certain peoples’ opinions.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't know if I'd call GMK Godzilla THAT different from the original. Both are revenge-driven killing machines, it's just that this one is driven by someone else's need for revenge. It's a little out there, but not to a heretical extent.

I'll give you Ghidorah, though, even if I personally don't mind this take as a one-off.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

LegendZilla wrote:Would you be perfectly fine with such a interpretation of the character as long as everything else about the film is objectively good?
Yeah, just because something doesn't line up with how I previously viewed one single character won't effect my opinion on a movie overall. I'm always open to new takes or reimaginings.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:To help better understand my disdain for how Godzilla (as well as Ghidorah) was handled in this film, look at things this way :

Imagine if they rebooted Nightmare on Elm Street. Let's say that instead of being a demonic ghost that lurks in people's dreams to kill them, he turns out to be a normal human who mysteriously disappeared after being in a burning building. Unlike the classic Freddy who died in the ordeal, he survives and therefore does not become a supernatural entity with any superpowers whatsoever.

Rather than being a child murderer and/or molester, he just so happened to be a policeman who presumably died in a fire trying to save children. Afterwards, he does not become the paranormal boogeyman we all know who murders innocent and unsuspecting victims in their sleep, but instead, a disfigured vigilante who only kills child predators or any evildoer for whatever crime they commit. However, Freddy still looks the part, maintains his trademark dark humor and kills in creative ways. So therefore, everything will automatically be fine right? Would you be perfectly fine with such a interpretation of the character as long as everything else about the film is objectively good?
First off, that's a far more extreme set of changes than anything we got in GMK. Second, your use of the term "reboot" suggests something that would re-define the movies going forward, as opposed to a self-contained one-off, which GMK was by design.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Virtually every Godzilla film post-Destoroyah has been a reboot of sorts.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LegendZilla wrote:^Virtually every Godzilla film post-Destoroyah has been a reboot of sorts.
.....ehhhhhhh, it depends. I mean, I don't remember them distinctly saying Megaguirus ignored the events of Godzilla 2000, just that they mucked up the timeline a bit (for reasons.). GMK clearly takes place after Gojira. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS have an established timeline with Space Amoeba(kind of), Mothra, War of the Gargantuas, and Gojira in there. Then Final Wars, I mean, has practically everything from the Showa era more or less.

So, it kind of depends. Reboot as in scrapping previous films to tell a self-contained, new story? Maybe. But they don't erase the previous stories COMPLETELY like your Nightmare on Elm Street remake example, or like Shin Gojira did.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I think there was still nuclear power in the G2000 universe, which Katagiri had then shut down; whereas there was none in the Megaguirus universe. Their dividing line was a lot more subtle.

But the overall point still stands. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:I think there was still nuclear power in the G2000 universe, which Katagiri had then shut down; whereas there was none in the Megaguirus universe. Their dividing line was a lot more subtle.

Yeah I wasn't sure about Megaguirus/2000 because I avoid re-watching Megaguirus as much as humanly possible. ;)
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:I think there was still nuclear power in the G2000 universe, which Katagiri had then shut down; whereas there was none in the Megaguirus universe. Their dividing line was a lot more subtle.

Yeah I wasn't sure about Megaguirus/2000 because I avoid re-watching Megaguirus as much as humanly possible. ;)
You and me both! :lol:
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maritonic wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^Virtually every Godzilla film post-Destoroyah has been a reboot of sorts.
.....ehhhhhhh, it depends. I mean, I don't remember them distinctly saying Megaguirus ignored the events of Godzilla 2000, just that they mucked up the timeline a bit (for reasons.). GMK clearly takes place after Gojira. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS have an established timeline with Space Amoeba(kind of), Mothra, War of the Gargantuas, and Gojira in there. Then Final Wars, I mean, has practically everything from the Showa era more or less.

So, it kind of depends. Reboot as in scrapping previous films to tell a self-contained, new story? Maybe. But they don't erase the previous stories COMPLETELY like your Nightmare on Elm Street remake example, or like Shin Gojira did.
Fan4stic just by rotten luck is now a self-contained story, yet is still considered a reboot.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LegendZilla wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Fan4stic just by rotten luck is now a self-contained story, yet is still considered a reboot.
.....what the hell are you talking about? Fantastic Four was not a sequel to the original Fantastic Four, but ignoring the events of The Silver Surfer which is the comparison to the films after Godzilla vs. Destroyah linking to Gojira.

It's it's own film, completely redone.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Did I directly say that Fan4stic was a sequel to Rise of the Silver Surfer?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LegendZilla wrote:Did I directly say that Fan4stic was a sequel to the Silver Surfer?
I don't even get what you're talking about at this point. Point is, the films after Godzilla vs. Destroyah follow Gojira and other various films in some way shape or form. With the exception of Shin Godzilla. They're not technically "reboots", persay.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LegendZilla wrote:Did I directly say that Fan4stic was a sequel to Rise of the Silver Surfer?
no one even knows what you are talking about dude

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic corrected Legendzilla's analogy by pointing out the Fan4stic was not the same, as it was not a sequel to the original that ignores the in-between films.

Legendzilla got confused (I think), thinking Maritonic was saying it wasn't a reboot because it was actually a sequel to Rise of the Silver Surfer (hence responding 'Well, did I ever say that it was?'), rather than Maritonic's actual point, that it was indeed a reboot, but wasn't in the same way that the Millennium films were (which were 'reboots' in that they skipped the events of the previous film, but not reboots because they were still alternate sequels to the original film).

Maranatha!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Zarm wrote:Maritonic corrected Legendzilla's analogy by pointing out the Fan4stic was not the same, as it was not a sequel to the original that ignores the in-between films.

Legendzilla got confused (I think), thinking Maritonic was saying it wasn't a reboot because it was actually a sequel to Rise of the Silver Surfer (hence responding 'Well, did I ever say that it was?'), rather than Maritonic's actual point, that it was indeed a reboot, but wasn't in the same way that the Millennium films were (which were 'reboots' in that they skipped the events of the previous film, but not reboots because they were still alternate sequels to the original film).
I see where you’re coming from.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I would say that, in the Millennium series, only G2K counts as a reboot. It took an existing continuity-driven series, and re-launched that as a collection of self-contained one-offs (two-off in the case of GxMG/T:SOS). The subsequent movies aren't rebooting anything, because there was no on-going series for them to reboot.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:I would say that, in the Millennium series, only G2K counts as a reboot. It took an existing continuity-driven series, and re-launched that as a collection of self-contained one-offs (two-off in the case of GxMG/T:SOS). The subsequent movies aren't rebooting anything, because there was no on-going series for them to reboot.
But then by that logic, is Shin Godzilla also not a reboot, because it too follows a one-off? It kind of feels like a reboot to me.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:I would say that, in the Millennium series, only G2K counts as a reboot. It took an existing continuity-driven series, and re-launched that as a collection of self-contained one-offs (two-off in the case of GxMG/T:SOS). The subsequent movies aren't rebooting anything, because there was no on-going series for them to reboot.
But then by that logic, is Shin Godzilla also not a reboot, because it too follows a one-off? It kind of feels like a reboot to me.
No, Shin is not part of the same project as the 6 Toho movies that proceeded it. The Millennium series was essentially a contained, six movie anthology series. It ended, and basically whatever came next would be a reboot in some sense.

Also, Shin is unique in that it explicitly disregards the original movie, which no other Toho film has done.