Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Post by Dinoskell »

Another thing to be brought up: I don't think its talked enough that the Guardian Monsters were all former menaces and are basically out on parole after being slain by legendary heroes, laid to rest to be ressurected after years of purification.

Given that Godzilla Defense Force gave Mothra the tile "Phoenix of the Sea", perhaps the the titles are more about where they came from than elemental affinity. If so, then in ancient times Mothra came from across the sea to menace Japan after her priestesses were kidnapped as usual, but this time there was no happy ending.

Baragon came up from the Earth to munch on things obviously.

And for sky...well. King Ghidorah might actually have alien origins in this one as well.
Last edited by Dinoskell on Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Dinoskell wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:40 am Another thing to be brought up: I don't think its talked enough that the Guardian Monsters were all former menaces and are basically out on parole after being slain by legendary heroes, laid to rest to be ressurected after years of purification.

Given that Godzilla Defense Force gave Mothra the tile "Phoenix of the Sea", perhaps the the titles are more about where they came from than elemental affinity. In ancient times Mothra came from across the sea to menace Japan after her priestesses were kidnapped as usual, but this time there was no happy ending.

And for sky...well. King Ghidorah might actually have alien origins in this one as well.
...huh.

This makes a lot of sense.

RIP Evan.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

cloverfan98 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:52 pm Also now that I think about it was Godzilla's attack in 1954 also caused by the souls from WW2? Has Godzilla always been a spiritual monster in this world?
No. The GMK Godzilla is not the same individual as the 1954 Godzilla. In GMK's continuity, the original Godzilla remains dead; this is a second Godzilla who just so happened to get unlucky enough to be possessed by the angry spirits of Japan's victims in WWII.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:53 pm
cloverfan98 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:52 pm Also now that I think about it was Godzilla's attack in 1954 also caused by the souls from WW2? Has Godzilla always been a spiritual monster in this world?
No. The GMK Godzilla is not the same individual as the 1954 Godzilla. In GMK's continuity, the original Godzilla remains dead; this is a second Godzilla who just so happened to get unlucky enough to be possessed by the angry spirits of Japan's victims in WWII.
I don't remember dialogue in the film that unequivocally states this. Certain books may make that claim, but my memory is that the film doesn't give us enough information to conclude it's either the same Godzilla or a new one. And ultimately I don't think it's important for this film to do so.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I always thought it was the reanimated corpse (or whatever even remains) of the 54 Godzilla possessed by the spirits of those killed by the Japanese in WW2.
For Emperor and Empire!

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Voyager wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:41 pm I always thought it was the reanimated corpse (or whatever even remains) of the 54 Godzilla possessed by the spirits of those killed by the Japanese in WW2.
Same here.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

The Calico
Ronin

Post by The Calico »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:26 pm
Dinoskell wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:40 am Another thing to be brought up: I don't think its talked enough that the Guardian Monsters were all former menaces and are basically out on parole after being slain by legendary heroes, laid to rest to be ressurected after years of purification.

Given that Godzilla Defense Force gave Mothra the tile "Phoenix of the Sea", perhaps the the titles are more about where they came from than elemental affinity. In ancient times Mothra came from across the sea to menace Japan after her priestesses were kidnapped as usual, but this time there was no happy ending.

...huh.

This makes a lot of sense.
Very interesting! I had never interpreted the elements like that. But I agree, that theory seems to fit with the movie.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know I have done little more than bash this film in my years on this forums, so I thought I'd give it a break and instead do some speculation. Last night an idea popped into my head. Had the Guardian Monsters actually beaten Godzilla, do you think they just might have turned on the nation of Japan itself, albeit different reasons than Godzilla's? For example, maybe they would've found out of humanity's destruction of the environment in the country and took action? The movie itself said that the 3 monsters did NOT intend to protect the actual nation of Japan, but rather the physical land itself.

I just thought I'd provide food for thought. Hope this serves as a nice break from my usual attitude towards this film. Do you have any theories of your own?

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:34 pm I know I have done little more than bash this film in my years on this forums, so I thought I'd give it a break and instead do some speculation. Last night an idea popped into my head. Had the Guardian Monsters actually beaten Godzilla, do you think they just might have turned on the nation of Japan itself, albeit different reasons than Godzilla's? For example, maybe they would've found out of humanity's destruction of the environment in the country and took action? The movie itself said that the 3 monsters did NOT intend to protect the actual nation of Japan, but rather the physical land itself.

I just thought I'd provide food for thought. Hope this serves as a nice break from my usual attitude towards this film. Do you have any theories of your own?
Probably not; more likely they’d just go right back to their resting places—at least, until the spirits of Japan’s victims came back once again, and curbstomped the guardians as we see in the film.

Not that it matters; the Guardians were never going to defeat Godzilla.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It reminds me of the end of Gamera 3. The woman says that Gamera defends the Earth, not man, so man had better not become a threat to the Earth.

Considering that the guardians weren't at full strength, they would likely have gone back to sleep until they were. Man might be in trouble then if things were bad enough.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

You know, when you come to think of it, would it be that far-fetched if King Caesar existed in this movie's timeline? I know I have been crapping over this film for many years, but I think I might be having second thoughts about it. Was it really me hating on this movie? Or was it my autism?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

King Caesar would have been a fantastic fit, IMO. Especially alongside Anguirus. Still upset we never got that Angy design in film. Not really sure how you can hate this film. IMO it has one of the most unique endings in the franchise. We get a lot of up-close human interaction with Godzilla, which is rare in the series.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:23 pm King Caesar would have been a fantastic fit, IMO. Especially alongside Anguirus. Still upset we never got that Angy design in film. Not really sure how you can hate this film. IMO it has one of the most unique endings in the franchise.
#1, there's nothing a sequel can't help. As for number #2, Let's say we all have our own ideas on what's an orthodox take on Godzilla.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

I think it’s time I rewatch this film. It’s definitely one of my favorites with the monster cast, action and symbolism. It’s been a few years but maybe I’ll watch it tonight while trying to relax.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

A nice gem of the Millennium era. Fantastic Godzilla, good overall story and probably my favorite lead of this series of films. It's only a shame Toho went the "safe" option to use Ghidorah and Mothra, I think some different Kaiju being the guardians would've been more interesting.

But beyond that not really much complaints.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I have another unpopular opinion about this film I want to express. I would've preferred the soundtrack if it was more purely orchestral and used less synth.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gotten around to rewatching this again after so many years.

Still holds up as amongst my favorite Godzilla films along with the original 1954 and earns the praise it gets.

If there is one minor nitpick I did have. They should've had Baragon surviving longer, still have the battle between him and Godzilla as seen in the film but he manages to retreat and faces him off again with Mothra and King Ghidorah. The threesome all at once against Godzilla would have been killer.

Overall though, love this film. :D
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu May 12, 2022 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Would you be opposed to a sequel to this film?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It would really showcase Godzilla's power to take on three at once and still kill them all.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:34 pm ^Would you be opposed to a sequel to this film?
It would have some mighty big shoes to fill. Sequels to films with such profound real-world messages best be treated extra carefully.