Talkback: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

GXMG is...

Great
31%
Good
42%
Okay
18%
Poor
7%
Awful
2%

Total votes: 304

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

Post by JAGzilla »

I voted 'okay', but that's only because the monster action was generally good and the score was fantastic. Otherwise, it would've gotten a 'poor'.

Pros:

- I liked Kiryu and his weapons. The AZC was something different, not just another laser. The whole DNA computer idea was a cool one, and it was interesting that he was a 'living' mech. It's not something we've otherwise seen in a Toho movie.

- The final battle, while not perfect, had a lot of good moments.

- The score, as stated, was one of the best. Right up there with Ifukube's work, IMO.

- A few assorted cool scenes here and there. The whole opening sequence was done well.

- I liked that they tied Mothra and WotG into it.

Cons:

- The human characters were all very boring. I never gave a damn about any of 'em.

- I don't know if it was just the dub's fault or what, but there was some really bad dialogue. The kaiju history lesson was probably the worst offender. It was supposed to be a conversation, but just came across as a sledgehammer info dump. The "Godspeed!" scene deserves a mention, too.

- Godzilla himself could've been better. I don't like his head or spines much, for one thing. And it was weird that he retreated without a fight when first confronting Kiryu. Backing off after he'd been injured or something I could see, but just... walking away? That didn't seem right. On the positive side, his atomic ray was pretty cool. I also liked that scene where he kicked Kiryu and flattened him.

So I guess it scrapes a 3/5, overall.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

Post by eabaker »

I voted "poor." I was tempted to go with "awful," but, honestly, I find the movie too boring to merit such a strong word.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

RedZillaKing

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

Post by RedZillaKing »

I prefer the 2002/3 Mechagodzilla design to the original AND the 90's incarnation. Wanna fight about it?

As for the movie, I freakin' love it. AND S.O.S.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Hey I liked the 90's version of mechaG! Still it's not my tag by far. I think every mechaG design so far is amazin. I really wished he was a bad guy again......maybe one and we can get an updated theme for terror o mechagodzilla!
Resized Image

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

ME LOVE THE SKREEONK OUT OF THIS FILM BECAUSE:

ME LOVE KIRYU! ME LOVE PLOT! ME LOVE MONSTER FIGHTS! AND ME IN LOVE WITH YUMIKO SHAKU! uhhh... I mean... *sigh* screw it, I think Yumiko Shaku is hot hot hot!
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

While the movie is a mixed-bag, I've come to enjoy it as a sort of millennium-era take on a showa-era atmosphere. It entertains me, its flaws don't detract enough from the viewing experience to really bother, and I consider this the best Mechagodzilla design. It's a good, but not great kaiju film.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Whats with all the MG2 hate? I mean com on he's the only G foe to have ever KILLED Godzilla. Not defeated, KILLED. Still I agree with most everyone here and will say that Kiryu or MG3 is probably my favorite version of MG. I love this version's design and I love his origin. That being said I really dislike this film. Its a bland soulless rehash of Godzilla Vs Megaguirus with the EXACT same character in the lead. I hate when Godzilla becomes little more than a Guest star in his own film and this is one of the worst offenders to me. For instance the scene when Kiryu is first launched against Godzilla, he shoots Godzilla point blank in the face with missile after missile, Godzilla just stands there looking like an empty suit, roars, and then when Kiryu freezes, turns back into the ocean. REALLY? After being shot in the face Godzilla wouldn't walk over and rip the attacker's head off? Its a horrible characterization of Godzilla and the reason it happens is just so we can have Kiryu go on the rampage, which is a great concept but very poorly executed. My 2 cents.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I'm curious as to why Godzilla retreated. It's been stated before that he advances rather than retreats. The only theorie I can come up with is that kiryu, once awoken, emits an aura that makes Godzilla go away. Maybe cuz he is the 54 version which might have been the dominant male of something. Others Godzilla's would stay away from him cuz that's his territory? IDK just a theorie
Resized Image

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Beef Bigshot wrote:I'm curious as to why Godzilla retreated. It's been stated before that he advances rather than retreats. The only theorie I can come up with is that kiryu, once awoken, emits an aura that makes Godzilla go away. Maybe cuz he is the 54 version which might have been the dominant male of something. Others Godzilla's would stay away from him cuz that's his territory? IDK just a theorie
I assume he was just startled by Kiryu's powerful Maser Cannon. He's was used to just brushing off attacks like they were nothing so I'm sure he didn't know how to deal with something that could actually hurt him, that said he retreats. Once he knows what he's dealing with he comes back for a rematch.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

While thats a great Theorie, I still don't agree. Honestly the real reason is just bad characterization on the movies part but on a logical side, well it makes no sense. Ya Godzilla will figure out what he was dealing with, but he tends to do that in battle. Think in Godzilla 2000. Godzilla doesn't retreat when the spaceship shoots him, he gets incapacitated by the dern thing. Not to mention that he automatically fired off his beam. Basically it just doesn't make sense. If the maser did hurt Godzilla, he would just get pissed an charge. I'm goin to stick with the aura Theorie.

Oh and indony recall Godzilla ever being hurt by the maser. He was moreso startled by it whereas the missile just blue up on him and he was like,"hhhmmm ok missiles.....that's pathetiOOOHHH GOD, LASERS N' SHIT!"

He he but still, did he actually even move other than a slight head wiggle?
Resized Image

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Beef Bigshot wrote:Oh and indony recall Godzilla ever being hurt by the maser. He was moreso startled by it whereas the missile just blue up on him and he was like,"hhhmmm ok missiles.....that's pathetiOOOHHH GOD, LASERS N' SHIT!"

He he but still, did he actually even move other than a slight head wiggle?
Every time Kiryu's Maser hits, Godzilla is visibly hurt. Especially the second time in Against Mechagodzilla. If Kiryu had spammed the maser more it probably could have killed Godzilla.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

He looked more ajetated and annoyed than hurt but then again, how do we really know cuz we ain't Godzilla lol
Resized Image

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:ME LOVE THE SKREEONK OUT OF THIS FILM BECAUSE:

ME LOVE KIRYU! ME LOVE PLOT! ME LOVE MONSTER FIGHTS! AND ME IN LOVE WITH YUMIKO SHAKU! uhhh... I mean... *sigh* screw it, I think Yumiko Shaku is hot hot hot!

Someone's horny up there^. You're even worse than that scientist in the movie whom tried to ask out Akane.

As for the movie, the only things I actually liked was the battle scenes, the design of Kiryu and his weaponry, the reference to other movies, and the music.
DeadpoolsbetterThanU wrote:
Orgasmatron wrote:we finally tried anal and she said she would have it again
Now you live up to that user name of yours!

Shadow wrote:
Chris55 wrote:5'1
640lbs

:lol: Wow, you should get outside sometime, that's if you get fit through the door.

KasZilla
Yojimbo

Post by KasZilla »

Worst G film imo. Boring, lame sad little girl, the same music replayed over and over again, there is basically no monster battling..

KasZilla
Yojimbo

Post by KasZilla »

Legion1979 wrote:
KasZilla wrote:the same music replayed over and over again
Then you must HATE the majority of the films Ifukube scored, huh?

Lame, sad little girl?
Yes. The music is so repetitive and they even recycled it for S.O.S. The girl's only friend is a plant, seriously?

Edit: I dont hate Ifukube's work, His music is part of what makes Godzilla great, but this movie literally had that one same song playing over and over with no variation whatsoever. At least G2k had variation.
Last edited by KasZilla on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

God forbid Kiryu and Godzilla have their own themes. And I'm pretty sure there's a part with the girl walking back from school with her friends.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

KasZilla
Yojimbo

Post by KasZilla »

Those chirren werent her friends. Seriously tho, MG's theme didnt have to be the ONLY music in the movie.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

The beginnings of some of the tracks sound similar yes but it's not the same theme played over and over throughout the movie..
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

To be fair, I do think the girl's role in the film was either insignificant, or underdeveloped (or both).
I'll give the soundtrack another vote of support. Michiru Oshima wrote some great pieces for this film and its followup.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Was pretty good but was I the only one that was bothered that they kept calling mechag kiryu?