Talkback: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

GXMG is...

Great
31%
Good
42%
Okay
18%
Poor
7%
Awful
2%

Total votes: 304

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

Post by Rody »

I think kpa (Keith Aiken of SciFi Japan) went over this before, and if I recall correctly, it was a decision on the film crew's part to help differentiate the new Mechagodzilla from the old ones - giving the Millennium design a very distinct character.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Godzillian wrote:Was pretty good but was I the only one that was bothered that they kept calling mechag kiryu?
I think it would've been a little better if they'd stuck with just Kiryu and never referred to it as "Mechagodzilla" at all.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I like this film, definetely one of the Best Millenium films, which aren't that much though.
Yooo 8-)

GodzillaFan94
Samurai

Post by GodzillaFan94 »

I thought it was epic the first time I saw it, and it was the second film I ever got to see with original Japanese dialogue, so I utterly loved it. Having re-watched it recently...I think it's good. Not great, but good. And I know I am in the minority, but I absolutely love Goji's design. Probably my favorite Millennium design.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

GodzillaFan94 wrote:And I know I am in the minority, but I absolutely love Goji's design. Probably my favorite Millennium design.
Minority? A lot of people like it, including myself.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

GodzillaFan94
Samurai

Post by GodzillaFan94 »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
GodzillaFan94 wrote:And I know I am in the minority, but I absolutely love Goji's design. Probably my favorite Millennium design.
Minority? A lot of people like it, including myself.
Most of what I've heard on the design is criticism. Glad I'm not alone it liking it. :D

Edit: Just re-watched it again. Still like it a lot. I hadn't noticed it before, but, Kiryu has a big Evangelion vibe in this.

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

God I love this film. Godzilla's first appearance was very well done.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Was I the only one that didn't like them calling Mechagodzilla Kiryu?

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

It was a nice touch imo.

If you didn't know, it was to set a bond with the female and Kiryu.

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

The action in this movie is phenomenal.

Top 3.

kiryu42red
Interpol Agent

Post by kiryu42red »

the movie was ok. it had some good and bad parts

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Voted POOR. Seriously next to Megaguirus this is my least favorite of the entire franchise. It's just so boring! There's not a single solitary thing I remember about it. Way too much Kiryu and annoying quasi emo lead and not enough Godzilla. Wait maybe I'm confusing the female lead with Megaguirus!?
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:Even with its problems, I do very much enjoy the Kiryu story in general. The idea of cloning Godzilla and forcing it to fight its offspring, cousin, mate, or whatever is the only Millenium storyline that I was generally involved with emotionally.
I think part of the reason that I'm left so frustrated by these movies is that the potential of the story is so strong, and the movies just completely waste all of that potential.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

eabaker wrote:
Cimmerian Dragon wrote:Even with its problems, I do very much enjoy the Kiryu story in general. The idea of cloning Godzilla and forcing it to fight its offspring, cousin, mate, or whatever is the only Millenium storyline that I was generally involved with emotionally.
I think part of the reason that I'm left so frustrated by these movies is that the potential of the story is so strong, and the movies just completely waste all of that potential.
I bef to differ of the movies being a waste of all potential.

In fact they succeeded on what Showa MechaG didn't, giving Kiryu a personality and a backstory to actually care about.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Eunectes wrote:In fact they succeeded on what Showa MechaG didn't, giving Kiryu a personality and a backstory to actually care about.
Well, they succeeded in stating that he had a personality and a backstory, but they didn't convey those things in a way that achieved anything like their full emotional impact.

The Showa MG wasn't designed to have a personality and backstory, so the absence of those things can't be counted as a failure.

EDIT: Also, it's not like I'm heaping praise on the Showa MG flicks here. I consider GvsMG '74 to be one of the weakest of theShowa Godzilla flicks. I think Terror is really the only above-average Mechagodzilla movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Eunectes wrote:In fact they succeeded on what Showa MechaG didn't, giving Kiryu a personality and a backstory to actually care about.
Showa MG was a soulless robot that was created to be a weapon of mass destruction. Kiryu was a faulty robot whose biggest quality was that it had its own soul, but it demonstrated very little personality and self-awareness. I'd say Showa MG succeeded in what it was made to be, while Kiryu was a half-baked idea.

I admit that Kiryu was a very neat concept, but they really didn't do much with that concept. Kiryu hears Godzilla's roar, Kiryu goes on a rampage, everyone waits for Kiryu to shut down, then once Kiryu shuts down they reactivate it and have it fight Godzilla again. That's basically it. They never expand on the whole "soul of the original Godzilla" ordeal. Which is a shame, because the idea itself is very interesting and has lots of potential for a great story.
Last edited by Dust_pan on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Legion1979 wrote:
Kiryu had a personality? I don't really remember that. I DO remember the Showa MG being a grinning, remorseless killing machine.

Then again, you have nothing good to say about the Showa series anyway. You should probably just stop bringing that subject up.
Grinning? It's a robot; it does not express emotions. That's the face it was built with. -_-

As for being a remorseless killing machine, that was not Mechagodzilla. It was being remote controlled by the Black Hole Aliens. They were the remorseless ones, not Mechagodzilla.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

20th Century Boy wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:
Kiryu had a personality? I don't really remember that. I DO remember the Showa MG being a grinning, remorseless killing machine.

Then again, you have nothing good to say about the Showa series anyway. You should probably just stop bringing that subject up.
Grinning? It's a robot; it does not express emotions. That's the face it was built with. -_-

As for being a remorseless killing machine, that was not Mechagodzilla. It was being remote controlled by the Black Hole Aliens. They were the remorseless ones, not Mechagodzilla.
Logically, yes, but that's really beside the point. Showa MG feels like a grinning, remorseless killing machine. The narrative of the Kiryu films may state that Kiryu has a personality, but it's not up there on the screen - and film is a medium to which audiences respond viscerally far more than they do logically.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

eabaker wrote:and film is a medium to which audiences respond viscerally far more than they do logically.
It's true. Vivian Sobchack said so.
bleep bloop

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legionmaster wrote:
eabaker wrote:and film is a medium to which audiences respond viscerally far more than they do logically.
It's true. Vivian Sobchack said so.
I'm so glad I took those 7 years worth of college film classes; it was definitely worth the time and money to get better at arguing about Godzilla movies on the internet.