Who was Godzilla’s Toughest Opponent in the Millennium Era?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Who gave Godzilla the hardest time?

Orga
3%
Megaguirus
5%
Baragon
No votes
Mothra (GMK)
No votes
Ghidorah (+ his powered up state)
No votes
Kiryu
31%
Mothra and her Larvae
3%
Gigan (+ Modified)
No votes
Rodan + Anguirus + King Caesar
No votes
Monster X (+ Keizer Ghidorah)
58%

Total votes: 65

godjacob
Futurian

Re: Who was Godzilla’s Toughest Opponent in the Millennium Era?

Post by godjacob »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:16 am GMK Ghidorah is a perplexing monster. On one hand, its clearly the weastest iteration of Ghidorah we've seen on film. On the other hand, it's "spirit bomb" attack seemed devastating. However, it didn't really do much damage to Godzilla and it seems like it can only be used once.

To answer the actual question at hand, I would say (1) Keizer Ghidorah / Monster X, (2) Kiryu, (3) Orga (4) Ghidorah 2001. I can't remember Megaguirus, haven't seen the film in years. Maybe I'll bust it out tonight.
It managed to deliver an open wound to Godzilla, the only attack in that film by monsters or military that actually managed to deal visible damage to this Godzilla, so I wouldn't say it "didn't do much damage" to him.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

godjacob wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:27 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:16 am GMK Ghidorah is a perplexing monster. On one hand, its clearly the weastest iteration of Ghidorah we've seen on film. On the other hand, it's "spirit bomb" attack seemed devastating. However, it didn't really do much damage to Godzilla and it seems like it can only be used once.

To answer the actual question at hand, I would say (1) Keizer Ghidorah / Monster X, (2) Kiryu, (3) Orga (4) Ghidorah 2001. I can't remember Megaguirus, haven't seen the film in years. Maybe I'll bust it out tonight.
It managed to deliver an open wound to Godzilla, the only attack in that film by monsters or military that actually managed to deal visible damage to this Godzilla, so I wouldn't say it "didn't do much damage" to him.
No I get that, I guess I just thought it would be more devastating to Godzilla given the size of the explosion. It's a fantastic scene either way.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:40 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:27 pm

No I get that, I guess I just thought it would be more devastating to Godzilla given the size of the explosion. It's a fantastic scene either way.
That's fair, but this Godzilla IS durable as all hell. The military had those special missile drills that were able to dig through a collapsed mountain, but failed to even break this Godzilla's skin in use. The fact it blew up a harbor and delivered a vital wound to Godzilla is still an impressive feat.

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

Without a doubt monster-x/Keizer Ghidorah was his toughest opponent, he was the one who put him on his knees and used his gravity beams and used them to their intention throwing FinalGoji around. Then draining most of his energy and nearly killing Godzilla once again but FinalGoji got help and took down the most insane incarnation of Ghidorah his arch rival to date.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I voted Kiryu because its Absolute Zero Cannon is one of the most powerful weapons in the whole series. A glancing blow wounded Godzilla more seriously than any weapon since the G-Crusher. A direct hit at full power almost certainly would have killed him. Beyond that, Kiryu has a lot of weapons to throw at Godzilla, is more mobile than him, and is remote-controlled by trained military pilots. Godzilla still has the advantages of raw power and nigh-indestructibility but Kiryu is a pretty lethal glass tin cannon, even if it is the only Mechagodzilla to be weaker than the Godzilla it fights.

Keizer Ghidorah is ostensibly the most powerful Millennium opponent but gets wrecked pretty quickly once Godzilla gets a recharge, leaving its true strength in question. Orga and Guardian Ghidorah are up there, too. Megaguirus gives Godzilla a good fight due to her incredible speed but she's vastly outmatched in terms of strength. No one else even deserves mention. The Millennium series stands out as the only era where Godzilla never has to fight an opponent substantially stronger than him. Every enemy kaiju he goes up against is a near-equal at best and all of them are extremely vulnerable to his atomic ray, which can often kill them in 1-2 direct hits.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yeah I'm with you on Kiryu. A direct hit from a single Absolute Zero blast would have killed him.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

lol at the 2 votes for Orga and Megaguirus :huge: :lol:

Hands down it's Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah. The GFW incarnation of Godzilla was easily the most powerful of the Millennium era, and Keizer Ghidorah basically manhandled him like a rag doll and had his goose cooked until "Neo/the one" revitalized him with his "keizer" energy. :keizer: :gordon: :monsterx:
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I voted Kiryu. There's a reason he has two movies when everyone else has one.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

GoKelley86
Samurai

Post by GoKelley86 »

Kiryu was the only one Godzilla didn't beat (well, and the two Mothra Larvae, but hey)...that counts for something, right?

ShadowCloud
Ronin

Post by ShadowCloud »

I was torn between wether it'd be Monster X or Kiryu but I think I'll lean towards the former.

Yea Godzilla eventually beat MX and Kiryu gave him a hard time but if Godzilla never had the keizer power up from ozaki then he straight up would have died. Idk about you but I think being on the brink of death to your opponent is worse then having your shit beat out of you by them until you leave.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

ShadowCloud wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:37 pm I was torn between wether it'd be Monster X or Kiryu but I think I'll lean towards the former.

Yea Godzilla eventually beat MX and Kiryu gave him a hard time but if Godzilla never had the keizer power up from ozaki then he straight up would have died. Idk about you but I think being on the brink of death to your opponent is worse then having your shit beat out of you by them until you leave.
As a counterpoint, a direct hit from Kiryu's Absolute Zero Cannon would have ended Godzilla. As is, it left Godzilla with a nasty wound to remember his cyborg relative by. Keizer "Horse-Ass" Ghidorah didn't have anything that deadly in his arsenal. Godzilla walked away from that fight without a scratch. He also probably wouldn't have struggled if he hadn't just gotten done blasting his way through like ten other kaiju.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy