Favourite Original Monster

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Orga
49%
Megaguirus
20%
Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah
28%
Other
3%

Total votes: 65

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Orga. Not much to say.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Favourite Original Monster

Post by Spuro »

I have an innate love of insects and arachnids, both as real animals and as monsters. Naturally I have a soft spot for such monsters of the Godzilla series, and Megaguirus is my personal favorite among them. She has such a badass scorooion/dragonfly hybrid design, an expressive personality, and cool and interesting abilities that set her apart from other monsters. It's a shame her movie's effects couldn't bring her to life as well as they could have. I'd love to see her return, and I'm dying for an SH figure of her. One of my top ten for sure.

I also really like Orga, but I'm not sure if he scrapes the top ten.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

They managed to give Megaguirus a lot of personality despite it being an immobile hunk of plastic. She gets my vote.

But I will say I like Keizer Ghidorah, but not for any of the intended reasons. I’m aware of his faults: improbable & ugly design, lifeless costume, etc. But despite that, there’s something stupidly charming about making the ultimate, final Godzilla foe an awful pantomime horse version of Godzilla’s arch nemesis. In that regard he’s kinda like Gezora, another goofy monster costume supposed to represent this horrible creature. In both cases there’s the germ of a good idea in there but somehow the final product is an absurd joke.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Monster X/ Keizer was a beast. He's one of the few kaiju that can throw (just) hands with Godzilla on even ground and have the upper hand.

Add in his skillset and his alt form, and he just oozes pure villainy.

MegaG is decent, but Battra kinda filled that spot in the roster already so meh, and Orga had probably the most boring fight in the franchise. He also has a somewhat boring design.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote:MegaG is decent, but Battra kinda filled that spot in the roster already so meh
How so? Despite vaguely similar designs I don't think they're at all alike.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Orga's awesome. Then again, having grown up with the dub, can't speak for how he was handled in the Japanese version with a different roar and all. But I love his "new" US roar, definitely one of my favorites of all the monsters.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Megauirus. Love that smug sense of self assurance she gives off and her design. Her fight against Godzilla perfectly embodied a power versus speed dynamic, more so than any other fight in the series. It was more or less even with both getting their hits in with Godzilla just barely pulling out a win.
Resized Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:MegaG is decent, but Battra kinda filled that spot in the roster already so meh
How so? Despite vaguely similar designs I don't think they're at all alike.
For me at least, it comes down to the aesthetic of the monster itself, how (non)innovative of a design it is.

She's essentially just an "evil/dark inverted Mothra" type kaiju (like Battra). Typing it out, it does seem unfair to judge MegaG on just those merits. Since backstory-wise, they couldn't be further from eachother. But i've just always found myself seeing her as a discount Battra.

However, i enjoy all G-kaiju, so her being beneath Battra isn't really an insult to the character.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Orga. I just love his origin and how strangely abominable he looks.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I haven't seen GvMG but I'll say that from design and abilities alone, I prefer Megaguirus.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Megauirus. For a lot of the reasons people listed. It was nice to go back to a Gigan type monster and by that I mean she isn't some anti-Godzilla weapon made to fight Godzilla, she's just a random monster who in an even fight could have beaten Godzilla and she almost did. Also cool to get a female kaiju who wasn't a hero like Mothra or anti-hero like Biollante. She's a full on evil character.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Megaguirus by far. Cool design, cruel personality, had a great fight with Godzilla. My personal favorite of Toho's "bad bug" kaiju.

I like Orga mainly thanks to the Pipeworks games; in his actual movie, he's just a big ugly thing that shows up in the last fifteen minutes purely so there can be a kaiju fight, and it isn't even a very good one. The Millennian was more interesting as an amorphous being hidden inside a chrome bicycle seat.

Monster X is pretty cool, a nice edgy 70s throwback that fits his movie. But Keizer Ghidorah is a goddamn disgrace, one of the worst kaiju of all time. X should have stayed X, we didn't need Pseudoghidorah.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

We didn't get many original monsters in the Millennium films, did we?

We got Orga, the most original of the bunch. Megaguirus, who is largely inspired by the Meganulons from the original Rodan. And Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah...which is basically just a new version of Ghidorah.

Oh well, if I had to pick a favorite, I guess I'd go with Monster X, who had a pretty cool design and the Ghidorah reveal was neat. He exists for the sole purpose of giving Godzilla something to fight at the end and provide some level of fan service, but like I said, its neat.

Orga is interesting to me. Godzilla 2000 largely feels like a reaction to the Gamera trilogy and ESPECIALLY the 98 Godzilla film. That is best exemplified in Orga who looks like a weird amalgamation of Gamera and Zilla. You can especially see the Zilla features in the face and the skin color, and Orga is weirdly turtle shaped. And of course, his whole power of being able to absorb Godzilla and turn into him ("He's trying to become a Godzilla clone!") pulls the thin veil back even more. But as far as blatant and petty middle fingers go, Orga does deliver a pretty cool knockdown, drag out, fight with Godzilla at the end.

Megaguirus came around at a time where we already had Mothra, Battra, and Legion, so it felt like she was coming to the party late. Also, I have issues with her film, and her role in it. It feels like she was included for no other reason than to give Godzilla something to fight, and if you cut out most of her scenes, the movie would still mostly work as a standalone Godzilla flick with the Dimension Tide being the weapon to stop him. That said, Megaguirus has a neat design and gets her licks in on Godzilla, which makes the fight fun.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Megaguiris brought something new to the table, I loved that Godzilla could have fucked her up quick if she wasn't so fast. Gets my vote easy.
Orga is cool for making vore a part of Godzilla legacy lmao
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

GojiDog wrote: Orga is interesting to me. Godzilla 2000 largely feels like a reaction to the Gamera trilogy and ESPECIALLY the 98 Godzilla film. That is best exemplified in Orga who looks like a weird amalgamation of Gamera and Zilla. You can especially see the Zilla features in the face and the skin color, and Orga is weirdly turtle shaped. And of course, his whole power of being able to absorb Godzilla and turn into him ("He's trying to become a Godzilla clone!") pulls the thin veil back even more. But as far as blatant and petty middle fingers go, Orga does deliver a pretty cool knockdown, drag out, fight with Godzilla at the end.
That's actually a really good observation! Now I'm curious if that was something they thought about when designing him. I think Orga is a cool monster and I like his whole regenerating and DNA copying shtick, but after years of playing a ton of Godzilla Save the Earth I was actually surprised by how weak of a fighter he was coming back to the movie. His beam cannon was less impressive than the UFO's (and couldn't regenerate),and while he's got a lot of might behind his blows he's super slow and only tagged Godzilla with a single punch.

Megaguirus is probably my favorite Godzilla bug Kaiju aside from maybe Megalon. She's got a cool design, a wicked personality, and her fight with Godzilla was by far the highlight of the movie. It felt like a good Showa era fight which is very much a good thing. I would love to see her and Rodan battle it out in a movie one day.

My favorite has got to be Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah. I'm a huge fan of King Ghidorah so seeing a new take on him is always cool. I dig Monster X's skeletal design and the fact that he was able to give Godzilla pretty good hand to hand fight. I know a lot of folks on here don't much care for Keizer Ghidorah but I think he made for a great final boss monster in Final Wars. It was nice to see a Ghidorah with actual gravity beams for once. I'm aware Showa King Ghidorah had something of the sort in Zone Fighter but he didn't use them fighting Godzilla, or any other kaiju sized foes like Keizer Ghidorah does.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Orga (aka one of the most underrated kaiju ever created) hands down.

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

I have to go with Orga

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Orga has a unique design and abilities, as well as a soft sadness to it in the Japanese cut. The comics and games make him out to be. abrupt which also works.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

I like how Monster X and Keizer Ghidorah look very different from each other, yet they are the same creature. Also props to Keizer G for actually having literal gravity beams, 15 years before the Godzilla vs. Evangelion 4d ride.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Orga for sure. He looked so badass and new. I still remember seeing him in theaters and my eyes going wide because this wasn't one of the old monsters.

I think Monster X was cheapened by the fact he was King Ghidorah.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!