Opinion of the Millennium Suits

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Voyager
Keizer

Opinion of the Millennium Suits

Post by Voyager »

MireGoji: I don't like it that much.
SokogekiGoji: 4th Best suit IMO.
KiryuGoji: Pretty Good suit.
FinalGoji: I hate this suit. I think it's ugly with its rat face and tiny dorsal spines.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Re: Opinion of the Millennium Suits

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I love all of them, to be honest.
Godzilla 2000 is a great redesign, one of my favorite Godzilla suits.
GMK Godzilla is another great one, I like that it's a modern take on ShodaiGoji with those creepy pupilless eyes.
The Kiryu Goji suit is underwhelming, but I think the design itself is pretty solid.
Personally, I love GFW Godzilla. One of my favorite designs for the character, up there with MosuGoji and BioGoji.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

MireGoji is easily one of my favorite designs. The purple spikes complement the green skin nicely and it's not too bulky to the point of not being able to move faster than molasses, but not too skinny to the point it looks like an actual man in a suit.

GMKGoji is another favorite. There's something awfully neat about the face and spines that make me love it. Only complaint is how fat he is. And yes, i know it was done on purpose so he actually looked liked a bloated corpse, but that doesn't change the fact he looks silly.

KiryuGoji is fine, nothing special about it. I just wish he appeared less frequently in other media. Would it kill some people to change up Godzilla's appearance for once?

FinalGoji... ugh. His face is too thin, his eyes are unseeable, the idea of a thinner Godzilla works great on paper but it's clear the execution here didn't work at all.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:I love all of them, to be honest.
Honestly... yeah, me too.

The G2K suit was my first exposure to a Godzilla outside the Showa era (not counting the 1998 film), and for the longest time it was the ONLY post-Showa suit I had exposure to. So for a while it's been embedded in my mind as THE modern Godzilla. The Pipeworks trilogy definitely fed into that perspective as well. It's unique with its large, jagged purple spines, crocodilian face and orange breath, and it's just the right amount of "edgy" to be cool looking without going over the top.

The GMK suit is another favorite of mine, clown-feet and all. It feels like a modern-day upgrade of the Heisei design, and I really like its face and prominent canines. I love a Godzilla with canines.

The GxMG design is one of my absolute favorites, even if the actual suit is a bit stiff. As a design it's second only to the original 54 suit as being the "definitive" Godzilla in my mind. I suspect the IDW comics played a part in it. It feels like the perfect mix of G2K's more over-the-top elements with some of the more classic Godzilla traits.

FW... I like it better than most Heisei suits, honestly. The eyes being shrouded in shadow doesn't bother me – it gives the suit a distinctive and mean-looking appearance. I love the large claws and how agile the suit is too.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

While the basic design of G2K might be really interesting, the GMK costume is the only one here that’s any good.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I actually think I like the suits of the Millennium era more than most of the films.

Specifically, the Godzilla 2000 redesign felt like something very cool for the modern era. It was also a slight throwback to an old poster image....where Godzilla was overtly green, had purple spines, and was breathing fire. G2K was actually green, had the purple crystal-esque spikes, and his breath was more...fiery. I thought it was a cool re-imagining for the modern era.

Although if you kept the classic blue color and more traditional spines....it would still be a strong look.

I mostly consider the Megaguirus, Against MechaGodzilla, and SOS designs to largely just be variations on that look. The 'snout' of the Kiryu designs always felt a LITTLE off.

GMK is good....I like the white eyes, classic spines, and look of the face. Although once you see the back/behind of that design....as a suit you VERY clearly see the 'seams' so to speak and that pulls you right out of the movie.

I actually really REALLY did the overall Final Wars design. The 'neck bulge' from the actor's head is distracting...but everything else about it feels like a really lean, agile, BUT STILL very classic Godzilla look....and frankly I would love to see more modern Godzilla iterations go for that over the huge, lumbering hulking designs we've had.

Physics be damned....the agile and more slender Final Wars look was just really aesthetically pleasing for monster battles. Something with a bit more dexterity.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GMK suit is easily top 5 in the Toho series.

GxMG/SOS looks like a regal cobra, which is really cool. What G2K should've been.

FW looks like a mean badass ready to wipe the world clean of all life that isn't his own or his sons. Plus he's got the biggest eyebrows since 64.

G2K looks like a stiff hunched green lizard that can't move, with overly large spines and has the face of Pac-Man.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

MireGoji's pretty cool. I like the different color scheme they used.
GiraGoji's literally just MireGoji but brighter. Don't like it as much.
GMKGoji is probably the best Heisei-esque design of Godzilla I've seen. In my opinion, it would look better if they gave him an upright neck and pupils (although I see what they were going for in the latter).
KiryuGoji is my favorite Godzilla design so far. I don't know why but it just clicks with me.
SOSGoji's scar looks pretty cool and I would not mind if he gains a similar injury in GVK.
Monsters INC (the effects company) did a great job with FinalGoji, perfectly depicting his agility and strength in Godzilla's features. Now, if only the other kaiju got as much respect as Goji did...
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

1999!Godzilla 2000, aside from Shin Godzilla, is my favorite design. If not my go to Godzilla design. Perfect combination of a more overtly reptilian appearance but still keeping those dragon features in the facial design. And I will never not love those jagged purple/pink spines.

He's aesthetic as fuck.

Resized Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Like I said in the Showa suit thread, it's more fun to make a tier list and then discuss afterwards!

I think the GXM suit's garish green ruined the look of the original G2K suit. The KiryuGoji suit was always one of my least favorites but it does have some elements I appreciate.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The MireGoji design probably should be an iconic look for the character but I can't get past how poorly constructed the costume is, especially compared to the costumes Wakasa didn't build from the same era (e.g. the Heisei Godzillas and Gameras, the GMK Godzilla).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terasawa wrote:The MireGoji design probably should be an iconic look for the character but I can't get past how poorly constructed the costume is, especially compared to the costumes Wakasa didn't build from the same era (e.g. the Heisei Godzillas and Gameras, the GMK Godzilla).
What do you think the costume got wrong? I thought it looked pretty great (protruding teeth aside) and it moved fairly well, at least more than later suits like the KiryuGoji.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Terasawa wrote:The MireGoji design probably should be an iconic look for the character but I can't get past how poorly constructed the costume is, especially compared to the costumes Wakasa didn't build from the same era (e.g. the Heisei Godzillas and Gameras, the GMK Godzilla).
What do you think the costume got wrong? I thought it looked pretty great (protruding teeth aside) and it moved fairly well, at least more than later suits like the KiryuGoji.
I guess it's less the suit and more the execution of bringing it to life. They ditched basically all the advancements Kawakita's team had made, including mechanical devices that allowed the head to move organically horizontally and vertically. Every Godzilla and Gamera costume of the '90s also had an "anamatronic" made from the same mold that allowed for even more advanced movements; these were abandoned for the Mire/GiraGoji. (They brought it back for the KiryuGoji but it was far less effective.) I think that was a really puzzling decision because the MireGoji was supposed to be more anamalistic than previous Godzillas. They handicapped their ability to bring it to life. Consider the awkward way Godzilla has to turn his head (by moving the entire body) in GXM, or how stiffly the mouth opens and closes in both films. The most mobile thing about the MireGoji is its spines, which arguably should be stiffer than the rest of the costume. IMO it just looks ridiculous on screen because of how rigid and artificial the movement is. This is a problem of nearly every Wakasa suit I can think of.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Mire/GiraGoji is my favorite Millennium design and Godzilla design in general. He has that reptilian look to him, dark green skin color, purple dorsal plates that are shaped like flames. So badass.
GMKGoji design is really good and the face is scary, but the body can look a bit weird in certain shots.
The Kiryu Saga designs is my second favorite in the Millennium series. It's like they took the silhouette of Mire/GiraGoji and just gave him back his grey color and white dorsal plates again.
FinalGoji is my least favorite by far. The face looks like a mutated rat and the body is too humanoid. I don't like it that much.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

For Emperor and Empire!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I like all of them and feel they have better proportions than the last few Heisei suits (93-95). I also feel Kitagawa got a lot of personality out of the G2K/GXM suit. I like how he whips his head when firing his atomic breath.

But the GMK suit is my favorite. I've said this in other threads but I like that it brought back the classic colors (white fins, grey skin, blue breath) and the overall retrosaur vibe it puts off. Although I wish it had the more upright posture of the prototype suit.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I kinda hate the KiryuGoji suit. I don't mind the overall design but the suit itself of horribly stiff and plastic looking.

Added in 2 minutes 54 seconds:
tbeasley wrote:Although I wish it had the more upright posture of the prototype suit.
That's partially because the suit was a bit too large for the actor inside. The other monsters being smaller, forcing him to bend over a lot only adds to the illusion. That's also partially where the pot belly comes from.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The GMK Godzilla was designed to have a posture somewhat halfway between the Mire/GiraGojis and a theropod dinosaur. The maquette has a weird forward-leaning posture with its tail off the ground; the full scale illustration to help Shinada build the suit had an even more extreme posture, almost horizontal. I think they realized pretty quickly that wouldn’t have worked, so they tried out the traditional upright posture before settling on what we saw in the movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

All of them are pretty good. Final Wars and Kiryu Saga are some of the weaker ones but they have good to amazing physical suits. Like, they were the peak of Toho's effects team.

RIP Evan.