Favorite Score

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

What is your favorite Millennium score?

Godzilla 2000 (Hattori)
No votes
Godzilla vs Megaguirus (Oshima)
10%
GMK (Otani)
49%
Godzilla X Mechagodzilla (Oshima)
8%
Tokyo SOS (Oshima)
21%
Godzilla Final Wars (Yano, Morino, Emerson)
13%

Total votes: 39

Voyager
Keizer

Favorite Score

Post by Voyager »

I got to choose one of Oshima's. And out of the three, GxMG is my favorite. The main theme is just a far better version of GxM's theme and all the other themes are great too. But, I can't ignore GMK, we all know it has the BEST score.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Favorite Score

Post by Spuro »

All the Millennium scores are good (except Final Wars and the Japanese version of G2K).

GMK edges out over the rest for me, though.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'll throw in an vote for Otani too since all the scores are highly memorable and downright spine chilling at times. FW gets some brownie points for the "King of the Monsters" song and whatever that other song was when the Gotengo raimed the Xilien Mothership.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

1) GMK - this is a god tier score right up there with Ifukube and Sato's best. One of my top five in the whole franchise. Between this and the Gamera trilogy, Otani has firmly established himself as one of the great kaiju composers.
2) Megaguirus - I definitely think this is the best of Oshima's three scores. Much more variety than the Kiryu films.
3) GFW - I think the music is one of the strongest aspects of this mess of a movie. I've heard some claim the music doesn't fit a Godzilla movie but I don't entirely agree; the music may not fit any other Godzilla film, but it fits GFW perfectly.
4) GXMG - I find Oshima's music somewhat repetitive, but there are some memorable tracks as well. This is a middling score for me.
5) Godzilla 2000 - the score for this movie is pretty lackluster and Hattori may be my least favorite Godzilla composer overall. Better than his Space Godzilla score, but not by much.
6) Tokyo SOS - worst Godzilla soundtrack ever. Repetitive to the point of being irritating. You know you're watching a bad Godzilla movie when even the music can't save it.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

• GXM - Absolutely the best aspect of this movie. Oshima's Godzilla theme is memorable and iconic, but her Megaguirus and battle music are fantastic too.
  • GXMG - This is probably the most powerful recording of a Godzilla-series score since Koroku's RoG. The thundering brass and percussion really bring Oshima's compositions to life. Only bested by GXM's score on the strength of that film's compositions vs. this one's.
  • GMK - Some of the compositions are fantastic but I don't really care for Otani's obsession with electronic music.
  • SOS - Sonically a step down from the powerful GXMG score. By no means a horrible score but not a particularly memorable one either.
  • G2K - Underwhelming compositions and recorded with a weak orchestra. The U.S. version's score suffers from the exact same problems.
  • GFW - Horrible.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I'll go with GMK but Oshima's scores for the Tezuka films are all great, too - definitely a highlight of those. I don't mind G2K but Otani's work on the anime trilogy is considerably better - he's really improved with each score he's done. GFW is a mixed bag - there's some interesting stuff, some themes work fine on their own, but it's largely a mess, much like the film as a whole. The closing credits are just bizarre.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GMK - This one is just pure dark awesomeness, definite top 5 in the franchise.
GFW - If you can't feel that pure energetic rage and modern electric touch in the instrumental i don't know what to say, maybe it's a younger audience thing, but i'm 20 and still bump my head to this one whenever i hear it. Plus that orchestra is epic.
GxMG - This one edges out GxM just because it feels heavier.
GxM - Soft and slow compared to GxMG so it falls right beneath it.
SOS- Variant of the 2 other Oshima themes, but definitely the weakest.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I just tossed Tokyo SOS the vote because I like the Main Title and its rendition of the Mothra Song. I couldn't tell you much about the rest of the score or how it differs from the other two Oshima scores.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

_JNavs_ wrote:GMK - This one is just pure dark awesomeness, definite top 5 in the franchise.
GFW - If you can't feel that pure energetic rage and modern electric touch in the instrumental i don't know what to say, maybe it's a younger audience thing, but i'm 20 and still bump my head to this one whenever i hear it. Plus that orchestra is epic.
2000?
For Emperor and Empire!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:GMK - This one is just pure dark awesomeness, definite top 5 in the franchise.
2000?
Didn't realize i hadn't put it up there lol, i like it, doesn't feel weighty though. I'd probably put it right above or right beneath GxMG
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote:GFW - If you can't feel that pure energetic rage and modern electric touch in the instrumental i don't know what to say, maybe it's a younger audience thing, but i'm 20 and still bump my head to this one whenever i hear it. Plus that orchestra is epic.
Because for every piece like this, there's crap like this. I'd like to know what you mean by the orchestra because this is the last Godzilla soundtrack I'd consider "orchestral". :eh:
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

GMK and GFW are the only Millennium series soundtracks I can even name songs from.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:GFW - If you can't feel that pure energetic rage and modern electric touch in the instrumental i don't know what to say, maybe it's a younger audience thing, but i'm 20 and still bump my head to this one whenever i hear it. Plus that orchestra is epic.
Because for every piece like this, there's crap like this.
That's exactly my problem with it. And that example is hardly even the worst track from the score. :freak:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Because for every piece like this, there's crap like this.
That's exactly my problem with it. And that example is hardly even the worst track from the score. :freak:
Yeah, I didn't want to listen to the tracks on YouTube to find some of the worst ones, like the segue from "Ozaki... nice work!" that sounds like something from the original TMNT cartoon.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

If you listen to GMKs score more than 10 times you will recognize that the works of Oshima are more deep. Just my opinion.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Definitely going with Final Wars on this one.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

I have to go for tokyo s.o.s

Added in 3 minutes 8 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:55 pm
Because for every piece like this, there's crap like this. I'd like to know what you mean by the orchestra because this is the last Godzilla soundtrack I'd consider "orchestral". :eh:
Funnily enough that song you call crap is one of my more memorable songs from the series
Last edited by attilagodzilla on Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's G vs Meg and GMK for me.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Final Wars and GMK fluctuate for me, I love both dearly.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

:D
attilagodzilla wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 am Added in 3 minutes 8 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:55 pm
Funnily enough that song you call crap is one of my more memorable songs from the series
Was scrolling down hoping to see a comment to this effect. I love that song and its stuck with me for a long time.