Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2001/GMK)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2001/GMK)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:17 am

LegendZilla wrote:Sad to say, this Godzilla is simply not for me. They turned him into a skreeonking deadite. My ideal Godzilla in terms of characterization is he Heisei one, being a chaotic neutral force of nature yet capable of turning into an anti-hero given the right circumstances.

Um, what does "deadite" mean?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:29 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Sad to say, this Godzilla is simply not for me. They turned him into a skreeonking deadite. My ideal Godzilla in terms of characterization is he Heisei one, being a chaotic neutral force of nature yet capable of turning into an anti-hero given the right circumstances.

Watch The Evil Dead movies then you’ll get my reference.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:30 am

LegendZilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:

Aw man you gave me a mission, guess I'll watch them to get 100% completion.

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:22 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Um, what does "deadite" mean?

Aw man you gave me a mission, guess I'll watch them to get 100% completion.

I mean, they're pretty great movies, and different enough from one another that they're easy to watch in rapid succession without getting burned out.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:24 pm

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Aw man you gave me a mission, guess I'll watch them to get 100% completion.

I mean, they're pretty great movies, and different enough from one another that they're easy to watch in rapid succession without getting burned out.

Oh yeah I've got no problem watching them. All I've really seen from them is that scene where the guy starts laughing like a maniac as everything in the room begins coming to life. I *think* that's where it's from.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:12 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Aw man you gave me a mission, guess I'll watch them to get 100% completion.

Oh yeah I've got no problem watching them. All I've really seen from them is that scene where the guy starts laughing like a maniac as everything in the room begins coming to life. I *think* that's where it's from.

Yeah, that's from Evil Dead II. Love that scene! That's probably my favorite movie of the three. Well, toss up between the first and second, I guess, but for very different reasons.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ManuJM1997
JXSDF Technician

Postby ManuJM1997 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:27 am

Personality-wise, this is my favourite Godzilla of the Millennium era.
I dunno, his viciousness, power and sheer presence gives probably the best "God of Vengeance" vibe since the 1954 Godzilla.
All in all, surely in my Top 5 Godzilla's.
Resized Image

JesstrK wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Ahhh the Godzilla vs Kong thread, my favorite place to discuss A Quiet Place

I know, right? There's like a whole page dedicated to it! I sure am glad I stumbled into the Godzilla vs Kong thread out of idle curiosity, I was beginning to think I'd never find a place to talk about A Quiet Place. Maybe they should just cancel GvK altogether so we can all go see A Quiet Place 2 and discuss that here come March 2020?

Rhedosaurus
Interpol Agent

Postby Rhedosaurus » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:07 pm

This is a really good take on Godzilla. A cross between him being a vengeful God and a ruthless destroyer. It's odd seeing him with his healing powers being nerfed, but this movie does everything so well, that I can accept that. The whole movie being about Japan paying the price the atrocities the IJA committed during WW2 is a really good theme and a nice departure from many Godzilla movies, notably Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. You actually don't see that issue get talked about as much like you do with the Holocaust. This really mixes in Japanese legends and modernism quite well.

It is odd to see King Ghidorah being portrayed as good guy, but it works quite well. Having Baragon in the movie was nice, even if Godzilla did curb stomp him with ease. And Mothra being portrayed as a guarding made a lot of sense as well.

The SFX and music are quite well done and the Godzilla suit is quite good. It's actually my favorite of the 2000's.

I consider this one of my personal favs.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:01 pm

My personal favorite Godzilla...

And that's all I have to say.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GodzillaRangerPrime
G-Grasper

Postby GodzillaRangerPrime » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Godzillian wrote:GMK Godzilla isn't really a bad guy when you take a hard look at its motivations

Yeah, the atrocities committed by Japan during WWII were atrocious and they still try so hard to pretend it never happened.
It’s no wonder the spirits that possessed Godzilla did what they did.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.

I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.

That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:40 pm

GMK Godzilla was kind of a victim himself, if you think about it. All he was was an undead flesh vehicle that the vengeful souls of WWII possessed and used to teach modern Japan a hard lesson.

#BotM

Crocartes
Ronin

Postby Crocartes » Sat May 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Godzilla165 wrote:GMK Godzilla was kind of a victim himself, if you think about it. All he was was an undead flesh vehicle that the vengeful souls of WWII possessed and used to teach modern Japan a hard lesson.

Yes. It's actually pretty cool to think about it this way, because it then becomes that the Guardian monsters are pretty much protecting modern Japan from it's past. Not to try and sound too deep, but that's a very interesting concept for something.

This is definitely my favorite of the Godzilla movies. I grew up renting the millenium series from the movie rental place, so I was most exposed to those, and this is far and out my favorite Godzilla. He looks great (Even the potbelly lol) and just outright evil, which worked quite well for the film and was a nice departure from neutral force/savior. I also really loved the sheer power that this Godzilla conveyed. A lot of the movies I'd been watching around the same time (Heisei stuff and Millenium stuff) had monsters giving Godzilla quite a thrashing. But watching this guy do what he did to Baragon was honestly kind of terrifying. I liked that he even seemed to be able to pay attention directly to individual people, which adds an extra element of "Holy cow" to the character.

Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”