Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2001/GMK)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Re: GMK Godzilla, Possibly the Most Powerful?

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Carthormerr wrote:I know you're right about the hearts, but the general feel of the movie as G being an unstoppable force and then that ending seemed to be implying he wasn't dead. For an evil monster inhabited by a bunch of dead people, the subtlety of that ending would be completely lost by most people watching the movie who might not know about that particular science fact
GMK Godzilla really didn't seem like an unstoppable force though. The only reason he looked like it was because he was fighting monsters made out of glass. There are plenty of other Toho kaiju that could have done the exact same thing GMK Godzilla did, if not better. Showa Anguirus, Showa Rodan, Heisei Imago Mothra, just to name a few.

If something were to be killed by a simple shoulder wound and severe stupidity, I would not call that thing an "unstoppable force".
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

They all have their pro's and cons. GXM Godzilla has the best regeneration, Showa has the best intelligence, FW wields the most physical strength, GMK has the best durability, G2K has the best beam IMH, Heisei has the greatest tankyness (a nice combo of durability and regeneration, plus beam spamming)... But If I had to go with the strongest, I would give it to Burning Godzilla.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

True, KG especially was impotent in this one. I'm using unstoppable in the context of the fact that after 50 years he returned undead, took out the pathetic guardians, and so many military strikes. Movie wise, any time it looked like they had anything on G, they were wrong. The ending "appeared" to follow suit
"A monster can live forever"

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

GMK has the best durability
GMK Godzilla is no more durable than any other Godzilla. He faced the same things that all other Godzilla's faced (tanks, bombs, missiles, kaiju attacks, etc.), and handled them just as well as all other Godzillas' did. Nothing really sticks out that gives him more durability.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

I dunno, seems to me that he shrugged everything off and probably didnt even feel it.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Mincecraft wrote:I dunno, seems to me that he shrugged everything off and probably didnt even feel it.
You could say the same thing for every single time Godzilla was attacked by the military in any film. What makes GMK so special?

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

I'm not sure. I guess I just have a special love for it. I just feel that there's some sort of, ya know, "oomph" to it. ;)

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Mincecraft wrote:I dunno, seems to me that he shrugged everything off and probably didnt even feel it.
You could say the same thing for every single time Godzilla was attacked by the military in any film. What makes GMK so special?
Because one of the points the film was trying to make about Godzilla was that he was nearly impossible to kill. The Guardian Monsters tried everything, humanity tried everything, and they couldn't even manage to scratch Godzilla. Only when Ghidorah got a huge increase in power and used his spirit bomb, did they finally manage to hurt Godzilla and even then it was only a small wound. No other film has tried to show how nigh indestructible Godzilla really is. Sure, they may have their Godzilla fight powerful opponents, but they don't try to highlight his durability.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Because one of the points the film was trying to make about Godzilla was that he was nearly impossible to kill.
Again, you could say the exact same thing for nearly every single Godzilla film where Godzilla was the villain. King Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, etc. In all of those films, the military and opposing monsters did everything they possibly could to harm or kill Godzilla, and it never worked. They could change his path or temporarily incapacitate Godzilla using strategy and restraining him, but never harm him. They never managed to cause more then a scratch to Godzilla. What gives those Godzillas' the edge over GMK Godzilla though is that the other Godzillas' can heal those minor scratches in seconds. GMK Godzilla can't.

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

It depends on your interpretation of power. In terms of destructive power, Burning Godzilla was on the verge of destroying the entire planet. But if you think being the most powerful means having both enormous power and the strength to not die from it, FW Godzilla is my pick.

Putting these debates aside, imagine how powerful a Composite Godzilla would be. What if we combined all the strengths of the Godzilla film incarnations into one super monster?
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: What gives those Godzillas' the edge over GMK Godzilla though is that the other Godzillas' can heal those minor scratches in seconds. GMK Godzilla can't.

Well that's why I was referring to regeneration and durability as two separate factors. Yes, I believe he has the best durability, but I also believe that he has the worst regeneration of all.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Tomzilla wrote:It depends on your interpretation of power. In terms of destructive power, Burning Godzilla was on the verge of destroying the entire planet. But if you think being the most powerful means having both enormous power and the strength to not die from it, FW Godzilla is my pick.

Putting these debates aside, imagine how powerful a Composite Godzilla would be. What if we combined all the strengths of the Godzilla film incarnations into one super monster?
Oh man, Earth would be Godzilla's bitch.

Also, yes G couldnt heal that wound, but then, that wound only opened after the drill went through. He didn't let it heal because he tried firing the ray. And that is what gets to me; the only thing that could destroy Godzilla was himself.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Because one of the points the film was trying to make about Godzilla was that he was nearly impossible to kill.
Again, you could say the exact same thing for nearly every single Godzilla film where Godzilla was the villain. King Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, etc. In all of those films, the military and opposing monsters did everything they possibly could to harm or kill Godzilla, and it never worked. They could change his path or temporarily incapacitate Godzilla using strategy and restraining him, but never harm him. They never managed to cause more then a scratch to Godzilla. What gives those Godzillas' the edge over GMK Godzilla though is that the other Godzillas' can heal those minor scratches in seconds. GMK Godzilla can't.
Godzilla usually gets pissed when attacked by the military, growls, etc. This one just seemed to look and frown a lot and was more nonchalant about it, but that was just how Kaneko wanted to present him. With the regen, even at the end when the sub shot the missile through the shoulder, a few seconds later before he made the wound worse, it had healed slightly. There was some slight covering there, instead of an outright hole. It looked to me like the regen just wasn't nearly as efficient as the average G

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Carthormerr wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Godzilla usually gets pissed when attacked by the military, growls, etc. This one just seemed to look and frown a lot and was more nonchalant about it, but that was just how Kaneko wanted to present him. With the regen, even at the end when the sub shot the missile through the shoulder, a few seconds later before he made the wound worse, it had healed slightly. There was some slight covering there, instead of an outright hole. It looked to me like the regen just wasn't nearly as efficient as the average G
Exactly. Godzilla was very casual about it. He knew he was gonna win. Then the unexpected happened...

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote: What gives those Godzillas' the edge over GMK Godzilla though is that the other Godzillas' can heal those minor scratches in seconds. GMK Godzilla can't.

Well that's why I was referring to regeneration and durability as two separate factors. Yes, I believe he has the best durability, but I also believe that he has the worst regeneration of all.
I agree that regeneration and durability are two separate factors, but I fail to see how GMK Godzilla is more durable than any other Godzilla. The attacks GMK Godzilla faced were no more powerful than what other Godzilla's have faced over the years. The Spirit Bomb? Eh, powerful, sure, but I wouldn't say its more powerful than Heisei MechaGodzilla's Plasma Grenade, Showa MechaGodzilla's All-Out Strike, or MOGUERA's Spiral Grenade Missiles. Not to mention attacks that do different things then the Spirit Bomb, like Space Godzilla's Corona Beam or Hedorah's Crimson Eye Beam.

The D-03 Missiles? Yeah, it was a stupid idea to launch those at a monster like Godzilla. They're just regular missiles that happen to have a drill on them. However, on Godzilla, those drills are useless. The missiles are built to penetrate rock, not kaiju hide. Kaiju hide is far more durable than rock, so of course the D-03s aren't going to go any where once they start to drill. Launch those missiles at any other Godzilla, and you would get the same result.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

I agree that regeneration and durability are two separate factors, but I fail to see how GMK Godzilla is more durable than any other Godzilla. The attacks GMK Godzilla faced were no more powerful than what other Godzilla's have faced over the years. The Spirit Bomb? Eh, powerful, sure, but I wouldn't say its more powerful than Heisei MechaGodzilla's Plasma Grenade, Showa MechaGodzilla's All-Out Strike, or MOGUERA's Spiral Grenade Missiles. Not to mention attacks that do different things then the Spirit Bomb, like Space Godzilla's Corona Beam or Hedorah's Crimson Eye Beam.

The D-03 Missiles? Yeah, it was a stupid idea to launch those at a monster like Godzilla. They're just regular missiles that happen to have a drill on them. However, on Godzilla, those drills are useless. The missiles are built to penetrate rock, not kaiju hide. Kaiju hide is far more durable than rock, so of course the D-03s aren't going to go any where once they start to drill. Launch those missiles at any other Godzilla, and you would get the same result.
That spirit bomb is not conventional weaponry or even on par with alien tech or power. This is the power of a god were talkin about. Also, only something like MG 74's all out assault would blow up a whole dock like that!

I dont claim to know anything. I just figure that "god" is more powerful than any alien. And it took that power of a demigod to even scratch Big G.

Man, this debate is actually fun! :o

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I wont say he is the strongest but he is one of the fiercest and evil.
He is not powerful, he just fought Three "Weak" monsters.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

That spirit bomb is not conventional weaponry or even on par with alien tech or power. This is the power of a god were talkin about. Also, only something like MG 74's all out assault would blow up a whole dock like that!
Um...The Spirit Bomb was not the power of a god. It was just a powerful attack. There was nothing godly about it.

Also, destroying a dock is not an indication of how powerful something is. Yes, the Spirit Bomb had a huge ass explosion, but that doesn't make it more powerful than MechaGodzilla's Plasma Grenade or Space Godzilla's Corona Beam.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Lol if that KG was a god, then the term is used cheaply. He wasn't a god, just a guardian. Like Baragon and Mothra.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Here's what I think: For me, it would be FW Godzilla and here's why: He was the most physically fit, he had a ray that (if you looked closely), managed to tilt the xilien mothership a few inches with only a slighty charged ray. He also managed to be extremely accurate with his beam, hitting his targets 99.9% of the time. FW is like a kung-fu, boxer, gymnast, and weight lifter all in one :lol:. Think of it like this, GMK Godzilla is like the shotgun of Godzilla's, his beam has little heat but packs a good amount of force. He also isn't the most accurate with it either, when he took those planes down I thought of those orange clay discs that you throw out and try to hit them all with a shotgun. GMK Godzilla is like that old fat guy across the street who sits on his front porch with a shotgun, yelling at people and occasionly standing up to go some where. FW Godzilla on the other hand, is like a top of the line marksman that competes in championships, and goes hunting everyday. He is the sniper of the Godzilla's, his beam is like if you customized an incendiary round to where, it not only severly burns you, but it sends you flying several yards back as well.

With all that being said I conclude with this: In my personal opinion, FW Godzilla is the strongest Godzilla out there as of right now. GMK is insanely powerful, but he is just not as fast or physically fit to even try to touch FW or Heisei Godzilla, plus he doesn't have the best regen either, but he hardly needs it. It's anyone's personal choice though, do you like a shotgun that can take someone down in one or two hits, or do you like a sniper rifle with incendiary rounds that can take someone down in one shot.
Oh, and on a side note, Heisei Godzilla is like if you gave someone a pistol, who is extremely trigger happy lol.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM