Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2001/GMK)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Ethan
G-Grasper

Re: GMK Godzilla, Possibly the Most Powerful?

Post by Ethan »

Mincecraft wrote:Thank you for your opinion. I'm sure it never ends well :angel: . I am aware that they weakened the Guardians. Although I would say that the Heisei is average as well. Ah well, to each his own.
Be warned though, some take this matter very seriously. It's as if though the power of the monster was proportional to their pride.

But to answer the question, GMK's Godzilla is the most powerful incarnation of the character.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Ethan wrote:
Mincecraft wrote:Thank you for your opinion. I'm sure it never ends well :angel: . I am aware that they weakened the Guardians. Although I would say that the Heisei is average as well. Ah well, to each his own.
Be warned though, some take this matter very seriously. It's as if though the power of the monster was proportional to their pride.

But to answer the question, GMK's Godzilla is the most powerful incarnation of the character.
Hey, i'll take it, I did say it was their opinion. Thank you for yours.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I think that burning Godzilla, and FW Godzilla are much worthier choices than GMK but that's just me. :)

#BotM

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Living Corpse wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:I think that burning Godzilla, and FW Godzilla are much worthier choices than GMK but that's just me. :)
The fanbase in general tends to lean to Burning though not much good it will do him since he's gonna die. He could have destroyed Destroyah if he didn't run away. Even if the G-Force didn't kill it he would have died of a meltdown long before he got the chance to find him again and finish what they started
Well, its a good job the military actually killed a monster for once or we would all be screwed then wouldn't we? Destroyahs one tough ************.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Actually, that idea about Junior killing him woulda been kind of poetic. But this will go on and on so, back on topic. Thank you for your opinion.

G-Force FTW!

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Mincecraft wrote:Now this is completely open to debate, which I want, and your opinion is yours.

I rank GMK as my favorite Big G movie after the original (can't beat it :angel: ). This is mainly due to the portrayal of Godzilla. I consider this one of the greatest performances of Godzilla to date. He's big, looks scary almost, and his power is almost unmatched! The scene in which he anihalates the military in less than 15 seconds is stunning and is embedded in my head. Plus, he has the best shot of him rising from the bay.

Now, in your opinion, do you agree? If not, which do you prefer and why?
I agree with you. His atomic breath was the most destructive and portrayed the best in this movie. My hope is that the people doing the new movie look to GMK to see how it is done right.

GMK is also my favorite after the original.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Gojira1963 wrote:
Mincecraft wrote:Now this is completely open to debate, which I want, and your opinion is yours.

I rank GMK as my favorite Big G movie after the original (can't beat it :angel: ). This is mainly due to the portrayal of Godzilla. I consider this one of the greatest performances of Godzilla to date. He's big, looks scary almost, and his power is almost unmatched! The scene in which he anihalates the military in less than 15 seconds is stunning and is embedded in my head. Plus, he has the best shot of him rising from the bay.

Now, in your opinion, do you agree? If not, which do you prefer and why?
I agree with you. His atomic breath was the most destructive and portrayed the best in this movie. My hope is that the people doing the new movie look to GMK to see how it is done right.

GMK is also my favorite after the original.
Thank you for the feedback.

I also want to mention some of the cinematography. GMK made him look big again for the first time in a while, G2K did that too a bit.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Living Corpse wrote:I honestly didn't feel any "power" from GMK's ray. I think the beams looked and "felt" their best in the 80's and 90's when they were still using retroscoping instead of computers, but that's just me.
Thanks.

I do feel that the technique was a bit "messy" though.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Meanest, most evil looking, biggest belly, most powerful? No. Heisei G
"A monster can live forever"

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Thank you.

Yeah, he is kinda fat. Gettin up there in years the Big G.

All this talk of the Heisei version gives me another thread idea...

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Thank you.

I completely forgot about the ending! :o Yes, he comes back no matter what!

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Mincecraft wrote:Thank you.

Not necessarily. Just because Godzilla's heart was beating at the end of GMK, doesn't mean Godzilla will always come back. Hearts will sometimes beat on their own for a short period of time after being removed from the body. For all we know, as soon as the camera faded to black and the credits roll, Godzilla's heart stopped beating and he really was dead.

If the heart beating at the end of GMK is a sign of anything, it's saying that the legacy of Godzilla can never die. Whatever happens to Godzilla, there will be fans of the films, so Godzilla's spirit will live on in them.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:

Not necessarily. Just because Godzilla's heart was beating at the end of GMK, doesn't mean Godzilla will always come back. Hearts will sometimes beat on their own for a short period of time after being removed from the body. For all we know, as soon as the camera faded to black and the credits roll, Godzilla's heart stopped beating and he really was dead.

If the heart beating at the end of GMK is a sign of anything, it's saying that the legacy of Godzilla can never die. Whatever happens to Godzilla, there will be fans of the films, so Godzilla's spirit will live on in them.
Oorah :g2k:

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:

You're right either way with the legacy, but as far as in the movie, it ended with the heart beating cued with G's theme playing. Appearance wise, it seemed to imply that he wasn't dead.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Living Corpse wrote:
Mincecraft wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I honestly didn't feel any "power" from GMK's ray. I think the beams looked and "felt" their best in the 80's and 90's when they were still using retroscoping instead of computers, but that's just me.
Thanks.

I do feel that the technique was a bit "messy" though.
Don't get me wrong though, seeing energy gather around his mouth was pretty damn cool and different from other beam charges. I did enjoy that.
Ya, I love how the energy swirls into his mouth.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Carthormerr wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:

You're right either way with the legacy, but as far as in the movie, it ended with the heart beating cued with G's theme playing. Appearance wise, it seemed to imply that he wasn't dead.
The theme song playing at the end doesn't mean anything. Its just there to add impact to the beating heart.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

I would believe the heart beating after death theory, except for the fact that heart was sitting there for a while not beating and then started up

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Carthormerr wrote:I would believe the heart beating after death theory, except for the fact that heart was sitting there for a while not beating and then started up
Hearts do that sometimes. They'll stop beating when removed from the body, and then start up again. They don't beat for long, but it has happened.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Carthormerr wrote:I would believe the heart beating after death theory, except for the fact that heart was sitting there for a while not beating and then started up
Hearts do that sometimes. They'll stop beating when removed from the body, and then start up again. They don't beat for long, but it has happened.
Thats kinda scary. BACK ON TOPIC.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

I know you're right about the hearts, but the general feel of the movie as G being an unstoppable force and then that ending seemed to be implying he wasn't dead. For an evil monster inhabited by a bunch of dead people, the subtlety of that ending would be completely lost by most people watching the movie who might not know about that particular science fact